Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
321 - 340 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Many thanks
I have managed to upload all the correct software and the latest grace note software.
the car is now showing 70.00.100 so just the hard part of fitting the kit when it arrives.
fingers crossed.
Hi John, have you completed the hardware install? Is your car manual or auto? I ask because my friends is doing the AA conversion and he has an auto, a couple of tips getting the auto shifter off would be useful. Thx Iain

·
Premium Member
Abarth 124 spider Auto
94 Posts
Hi
Yes all done and working fine. Mine is an automatic.
I didn't remove the gear knob. its really tricky but you can lift it up and try and turn the gator and surround towards the passenger seat that will give you enough room to pull things out.
Hard to explain really I might have just been lucky with my heavy handed approach.
Just make sure all the cables make a nice click and are fully pushed home at both ends. Also use the foam and make up the cable loom as per the measurements in the fitting instructions.
I followed the instructions on www.21stcenturyfiat124spider.wordpress.com.
Search the blog apple carplay.

They actually mention re the automatic gear knob removal on there. As things can go wrong if its removed.
Good luck am sure you will be fine. Its well worth it when its up and running.

·
Premium Member
Abarth 124 spider Auto
94 Posts
Hi
Yes all done and working fine. Mine is an automatic.
I didn't remove the gear knob. its really tricky but you can lift it up and try and turn the gator and surround towards the passenger seat that will give you enough room to pull things out.
Hard to explain really I might have just been lucky with my heavy handed approach.
Just make sure all the cables make a nice click and are fully pushed home at both ends. Also use the foam and make up the cable loom as per the measurements in the fitting instructions.
I followed the instructions on www.21stcenturyfiat124spider.wordpress.com.
Search the blog apple carplay.

They actually mention re the automatic gear knob removal on there. As things can go wrong if its removed.
Good luck am sure you will be fine. Its well worth it when its up and running.
Apologies I spent that many hours researching this and visited numerous web sites I am losing track there are many articles and helpful information out there .
I used the and printed off the installation instructions from where I purchased the hardware from www.124spideruk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all—recently picked up a 2017 124 Spider Classica and love it! Really want to do this upgrade, but not much experience with DIY on cars, however I am quite comfortable with the firmware and USB component upgrades and installation. Just looking for thoughts on if this is something I should consider attempting myself or if I should be looking to get some help from someone with experience with working on the interiors of cars. Thanks! Tim

·
Registered
34 Posts
I suspect it will be down to whether you have appropriate tools... I decided not to go ahead, myself but looking at the instructions, I reckon a supply of blunt but wide levers will come in handy for popping off bits of fascia.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks Mike. Those auto trim tool kits on amazon don't make it seem too terrible.
Tim

I felt exactly as you do, should I, shouldn’t I. When I eventually completed the work, the strip down is a lot easier than it looks/ feels. The nylon trim tools are cheap to get a hold of and there are only 3 screws, the rest of the trim literally ‘pops’ off. Just take your time, the sense of achievement is very satisfying. There may be somebody local who would help, but if not, find somebody on Zoom/ FaceTime who would support you through the process. On the software, check the files carefully to make sure they have copied entirely to the USB.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I won't happy with this guide because it did not tell about best solution for Android users. Android owner could have a full Android Auto experience with AIO Tweaks at no cost in few seconds: no wrecking, no upgrade, no spare parts, no fv 70, just a working Android Auto (usb + wireless) with a simple firmware hack on original firmware (v56). And you get also touch screen with Maps and Waze: what a wonderful world.
If you followed this guide and you installed Android Auto, you are f*cked because you can't have Android Auto wireless unless you do a software and hardware downgrade: no way! I'm one of you, I want Android Auto wireless but I followed this guide.

Now, there is a good solution for Android users. It's AAWireless, you can order it on Indiegogo and wait 3 - 5 months for shipping. I did my order in February and I got it in May.
The point is: AAWireless works! And works well! It's really simple, you install AAWireless Config app on you Android smartphone, connect AAWireless box to usb port in our car, do the first setup and ... done! You got Android Auto wireless perfectly working. The AAWireless box works as a "gateway", so your smartphone connects via wifi with AAWireless box. The connection time is incredibly fast, no difference with cabled Android Auto. All works fine until now. I tested a lot navigation (Maps and Waze) while playing Spotify: no glitch, no sound interruption, no problems. I have to test more phone calls but all seems ok. Consider AAWireless is still under development and further improving can arrive in next months but until now all is perfect.

A tip: you can hidden the AAWireless box in the slot on the right side of the gearbox, so it's quite invisible. And you can have Android Auto wireless also on USA models where Abarth internal wifi antenna is poor (AAWireless will always use its wifi access point, not the one on car).

Now, take a minute to check your phone compatibility: AAWireless works with all Android 11 smartphones. It works fine also with Android 10 but there is a problem with Xiaomi/Poco/Redmi: only A1 and A3 work, all other models don't work with AAWireless because strange MIUI behaviour. So if you have a Xiaomi A1 and A3 you are ok (they have a stock Android rom), but if you have another Xiaomi/Poco/Redmi smartphone with Android 10 and you can't update to Android 11, the only way to go is install a custom rom (also Xiaomi.eu roms work). If you have an older Android version this could work but you have to enable developer mode in Android Auto and I don't know if this works fine, check before buying.

I hope I helped angry Android users who want to have an Android Auto wireless experience just 2021 years after Christ born.

·
Registered
172 Posts
@italianboy I got lost with your message. Reading and googling around I think there are three separate use cases:

1) Upgrade to FW 70.x that brings all kinds of additional features to the IVI (In-Vehicle Infotainment). This thread is all about this. This upgrade also needs new HW on the IVI system, and will bring a more powerful charging to the in-car USB ports.

2) Keep original 56.x FW in IVI but install only the Android Auto capability to it as a tweak. To be able to use AA one needs a physical USB cable to connect between an Android phone and the IVI. I could not find a good thread focusing on this part how-to but I suspect @ameridan has a page for this somewhere.

3) Making the #1 or #2 above work without a cable, through WiFi. The Spider IVI does not have WiFi capability so a separate dongle is required.

Did I understand it right?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Guys, there are 2 videos of how to install the Unit, Tork has one which is quiet detailed, go on youtube. Just be gentle cause most are clipped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Santtu. European 124 spider have excellent wifi, so you can go with 2) to have AA Wireless, without buying anything and at no cost. That is, you simply hack your firmware without new hardware parts, you get AA Wireless and it's also touch screen enabled. The wifi 124 spider chip is too weak on some 124 spider cars (as USA cars), so in that case AA Wireless will not work or will work poorly.

If you upgrade to fw70 using this guide OR you hack your fw56 and you have a bad wifi chip THEN you can still have AA Wireless buying the AAWireless dongle (all details in my previous post). I only tested it with fw70 but it should work fine also with fw56: it works fine, I'm still using it without any problem, it lost its connection only 1 time and it reconnected automatically after few seconds.

I think this is a useful information because AA Wireless dongle is not so good on all cars and I read nowhere if it's good for our 124 spider with (hacked) firmware / parts, so I bought it and I shared my experience here, so now everyone who wants Android Auto wireless on their cars can have it, buying the dongle. If someone googles for "AAWireless 124 spider" I hope he can reach this thread.

Note: in the last Indiegogo update the developer wrote the chip shortage is causing delays, so if you place your order now you could have it for November (maybe).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody! I got my 124 Spider Abarth only about a month or so ago, and fitted the apple carplay! I’m not really a handy person especially with cars, so I decided to go to a Mazda dealership for the hardware install. The software install was super easy and simple with your guide! Many thanks to all involved!!! I’m super excited to start using it! So maybe we can book me as the first 124 in Poland with CarPlay using your guide and software 😀. One small thing, that I think we should mention in the guide, the le drive has to be formatted on windows, as the FAT32 on Mac is not recognized in the infotainment.

I have just one more question, after installing the ID7 tweaks, Mazda 70.00.100 software and Mazda to Abarth icons, am I able to change the annoying restore that the screen does not have the ability to be a touchscreen while on the go? Or should i now just follow the instructions for the touchscreen tweak from the 21century website?

·
Registered
34 Posts
God I hate the stock satnav/radio package...

Yesterday it was lying to me about the number of exits on a roundabout near Chertsey, and after I inadvertently used a steering wheel control to change radio station (at the time, I was concentrating more on finding the desired exit) doing the 'opposite' steering wheel control - up arrow instead of the previously used down arrow - it refused to go back to what I wanted. An Android Auto load is approaching, although the last time I tried, without the hardware fix, it was kind of unstable. Maybe the Kickstarter route is the way to go!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just did the whole install thanks to all who wrote this up
Ameridan and 68wooley
You guys rock !

Infotainment is super snappy when using CarPlay it almost feels like a brand new system ! If you have not done this I HIGHLY recommend it !

·
Registered
438 Posts
Just did the whole install thanks to all who wrote this up
Ameridan and 68wooley
You guys rock !

Infotainment is super snappy when using CarPlay it almost feels like a brand new system ! If you have not done this I HIGHLY recommend it !
+1 on this, I enjoyed doing this install and the outcome is as you say, snappy and modern…just like our car, no more miserable gray screens for me either!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, getting my 124 tomorrow and have been reading through the guide and watching the videos multiple times by now. Was just getting everything ready, and noticed that all the software links hosted on HiDrive don't seem to be working anymore. Any chance you could re-upload the files and/or update the links? Much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey, getting my 124 tomorrow and have been reading through the guide and watching the videos multiple times by now. Was just getting everything ready, and noticed that all the software links hosted on HiDrive don't seem to be working anymore. Any chance you could re-upload the files and/or update the links? Much appreciated! :)
Same here, could someone point me to proper firmware version?

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider
145 Posts
Without starting an Apple vs Android debate, does anyone know how to build the graphic image file for AndroidAuto to get the Scorpion image instead of the Mazda image to exit back to the 124 Menu.

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
52 Posts
@68wooley, your instructions rocked. Got installed today. Already sent to @ameridan's beer fund -- do you have one? I owe you big time for your efforts!

I'd only add one small thing: When removing the USB module, it might save someone some frustration to note that you push the clips and then push it forward, rather than pulling it backwards. I couldn't figure out why the thing wasn't moving with the darn clips pushed in. :)
Same. I struggled with this for an inordinate amount of time! :)

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
52 Posts
I finished this project on Friday, and can report that truly this is the kind of thing that if I can do it, anyone can do it. I did the firmware a couple of weeks again and that took far less time than any of the instructions suggested it might. On the other hand, the hardware installation took me far longer than I've read it has taken for lots of other folks. It took me about 6 hours. But everything came up roses...or Spiders..on the first test!

Today (two days later), as I was out and about, starting and stopping several times, at some stage CarPlay quit working. I could see it in the apps, but it was greyed out and at some stage it said something like "no device recognized." Bluetooth connection worked fine. I came home, locked the car and walked away with the fob (as in the firmware installation), restarted my phone, and when I powered everything up, CarPlay came right back.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience? Overall I am SUPER happy with the whole thing, and am very grateful to @ameridan and @68wooley for their efforts on this.

The Very Best part of the whole process for me was discovering my disconnected Sport Mode cable when I pulled up the center console. I had no idea what I was missing!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this project and who has asked and answered questions!

321 - 340 of 355 Posts