Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So carplay is working well in my 124. Used mazda firmware and got the parts from a mazda dealer. Just waiting for a new Serial TTL adapter as mine is bust before putting it back together.

http://i65.tinypic.com/n16vxc.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can you share how you achieved this and what parts you required? Did you upgrade the firmware yourself? Have you retained the ability to "tweak"? What about the Fiat Sat Nav?

So many questions :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm intrigued for the sole ability to use Waze without my phone sliding off my leg every shift...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Can you share how you achieved this and what parts you required? Did you upgrade the firmware yourself? Have you retained the ability to "tweak"? What about the Fiat Sat Nav?

So many questions :)
So I used Mazda firmware from the Mazda3revolution forum. Link

This means my fiat nav card does NOT work anymore and won’t unless Fiat bring out a CarPlay firmware.

The parts are
USB HUB: TK78-66-9U0C
User manual: 4100-77-300ES
USB wires: C830-V6-60Z
You also need some foam tape, will find the part number

I used a guide available from miata.net that was easy to follow. Link
I have lost the ability to tweak but I will use serial access to restore that tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
...This means my fiat nav card does NOT work anymore and won’t unless Fiat bring out a CarPlay firmware.
Would a Mazda nav card work or is it going to barf on a non-Mazda VIN number?

I like Carplay nav, but it get's a bit ropey out in the booneys with no cellular data. Good to have the onboard system as a backup.

·
Registered
435 Posts
For those based in North America then I believe at present you have to wait as there is not a North America firmware available yet. However for those in other geographies you can, at your own risk, use the appropriate MX-5/Mazda firmware. Do NOT try to use a firmware from a different geography...

The parts listed above for the hub and cables etc should work irrespective of geography. Please do read the installation guide carefully as there is a preferred order and set of steps you should follow. If you use the Mazda firmware you will lose your navigation (however you now have Carplay so it shouldn't be a major issue). While I don't have formal confirmation I do not believe you can use a Mazda Nav Card as the VINs won't match but I am not aware of anyone having actually tried this yet.

Unless you are a trail blazer or happy with the risk I would recommend people wait for Fiat to launch a firmware, and if you are asking when will this be then the answer is we don't know yet, but go and contact Fiat via their website, Facebook, Twitter etc and keep asking them.....

Congrats to OP, he is the second one I am aware of that has updated their 124.

TheSalamander

·
Registered
435 Posts
I’ve just noticed a couple of updates on the Miata forum and mazda3revolution forum that indicate the US firmware will be available from Sept 1st and that there are 8000 updated hubs/cables in the North America for the dealers.

If you are looking to do the update yourself then carefully read the instructions by ASH8 that are linked in the earlier post on this thread. Also be sure you have the correct version of the cables and hubs as some earlier and/or China specific ones have been available which do not work on non-China cars.

Remember that the Mazda firmware will be required until Fiat release their one. The impact of this is the loss of the use of the Fiat navigation SD card.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just finised restoring the ability to tweak with the serial connection, all works great. You can use the touch interface while driving.

Let me know if anyone wants me to try anything out. If you are going to do this make sure you get the foam tape, its important!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome information rsmagee ! I'm in the UK, did you purchase parts through a Mazda Main dealer ? would you be willing to share approx costs ?

This means my fiat nav card does NOT work anymore and won’t unless Fiat bring out a CarPlay firmware.

The parts are
USB HUB: TK78-66-9U0C
User manual: 4100-77-300ES
USB wires: C830-V6-60Z
You also need some foam tape, will find the part number

I used a guide available from miata.net that was easy to follow. Link
I have lost the ability to tweak but I will use serial access to restore that tomorrow.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the parts from Mazda Wolverhampton. Did not tell them what the parts were for, just listed the numbers. Cost me £196 for the parts. I know people have paid a little less but I got them pretty quickly.

·
Registered
435 Posts
For those not checking the Miata forum then the following is the latest info for North America Miata firmware (Thanks to ASH8 for posting there, this is a duplicate of his post https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=675057&page=9 )

FIRMWARE NA N 70.00.021A is not available yet in the wild...

North America, USA, Canada, Mexico, known as 'NA N' on your Touch-screen.
1. FIRMWARE version for 'NA N' for CP/AA of two .up files.
cmu150_NA_70.00.021A_failsafe.up file MUST be Installed FIRST.
cmu150_NA_70.00.021A_reinstall.up file MUST be Installed SECOND.

2. C922-V6-605 New USB Data Cable set of two, MUST be Installed THIRD.
3. TK78-66-9U0C New AUX Unit, MUST be Installed FOURTH.

Link for Manuals..AND Instructions for FIRMWARE Install.
https://mega.nz/#F!3A0DkA4R!pREP1DJkn0HBqVUolHUbXA

·
Registered
690 Posts
What about things like the turn signal volume, setting the lights/door lock behavior and the stuff in the maintenance section?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everything under the maintenance section is still there and works perfectly. If anyone would like specific screenshots or pics let me know and I will sort them :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As a UK owner this is very interesting - Ideally I would like to know if google maps can be used as sat-nav with this? - I use this on my phone on a sucker mount currently, as I find it works really well with live traffic but would prefer this on the built in screen.

Never mind - Have just realised that Carplay is the Apple system and I need Android Auto!
Android auto is working fine too 🙂

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thank you for your pioneering work!
I wonder if the guide here on a blank SD card would reenable the Nav: Link

·
Registered
690 Posts
I just saw how Fiat is implementing CarPlay on the 500 and I have to say that it's disappointing to see it running in a window inside their infotainment screen. Hopefully they have a "full-screen" mode that I missed.

If we're lucky Mazda will do a better job and those of us in North America will get a chance. (I know...)

1 - 20 of 536 Posts
About this Discussion
535 Replies
50 Participants
ameridan
Fiat 124 Spider Forum
We invite you to join the largest Fiat 124 Spider forum community & owner’s club! Here you can discuss Abarth, turbo & tuning, service, specs, maintenance plus more!
Full Forum Listing