Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went down to Toronto and did a 500km trip on a 12 c day. When I reached destination I check the can and I found 3/4 once not oil but watery oil. Cleaned it then on my way back in torrential rain, 500 km, roof was dry car drove perfectly except when passing truck bearly can see anything. So I checked the can and found about an once of watery oil. Temperature was 9 c.

I thought I would get only oil, how did that water get there.

Here's a picture of the can and the liquid inside. I plan to show to the dealer when I go for an oil change soon. Car as about 7,300 km.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that water got me worried., Since I installed the catch can last spring till my trip to Toronto, I only got a DROP of oil, then at 6100 km I take this trip and get about 2 ounces of watery oil. Seems more condensation in colder weather. Heading to the Dealer for my Oil change, end of month she will be winterized.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
Does that type of condensation take place in the oil tank?
You mean the sump? Yes. Condensation and the presence of water in the crankcase is one of the two primary causes of acidity in engine oil. Engine oils have detergents specifically tasked with neutralizing that acidity, but the presence of water will deplete those additives more quickly (one of the reasons frequent short trips necessitate shorter oil drain intervals).

The presence of condensation during heat cycles is one of the reasons I recommend against starting your car during the winter; it's best to just park it and leave it till spring.

·
Vendor
3,649 Posts
Does that type of condensation take place in the oil tank?
Xtreme's answer is exactly correct. Condensation does occur in the oil pan, you just don't see it. In the catch can you do. This is one of the reasons I prefer to DRAIN my oil from the oil pan when I do an oil change. I don't feel that sucking it out from the top as the dealers usually do really gets all that water than tends to sit at the bottom of the pan.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts