Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If your pic shows the kit you rec'd, it's different from the one I got, and that's probably why yours worked without any issues. For starters, your mounting bracket has the 90-degree bend to mount on the firewall, mine was completely straight. Also, on your kit, the "output" hose (right side of catch can) doesn't have a reducer hose barb like mine does, it's the same size hose all the way. And your "input" hose (left side of catch can) is different from the one I got in my kit (you can see the reinforcement ribs on that hose, mine was smaller and didn't have them).

Having modified my kit to get it to work properly, I don't really see the reason for these reducer barbs. The four fittings where the hoses have to attach should be similar enough in size that the hoses should be able to run directly from the catch can down to the fittings (like your "output" hose), without reducers, or the larger barbs up at the catch can.
Mine also has a straight bracket, but it doesn't mount on the firewall, instead it mounts to the left of the firewall over the wheel well. Remove the front bolt and attach the bracket to it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Mine also has a straight bracket, but it doesn't mount on the firewall, instead it mounts to the left of the firewall over the wheel well. Remove the front bolt and attach the bracket to it.
That's where I mounted mine. I think there's actually more room there to get your hand around the can there than having it mounted to the firewall...

Attachments

Reactions: jetlag

·
Registered
534 Posts
When I get home, I'll check this myself and post a video. That way it should be clear what's normal, and what's not.
Can't wait to see this, @Greg. I'm sure my experience was not normal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Catch Can $$$

That's where I mounted mine. I think there's actually more room there to get your hand around the can there than having it mounted to the firewall...
That is assuming you do not have the Hood Lift Kit installed. Otherwise that install location is taken by the strut location for the Hood Lift Kit. :(
CA_Kid

·
Registered
233 Posts
Can't wait to see this, @Greg. I'm sure my experience was not normal.
I'd like to see the video, too. I'm getting ready to install the EC catch can, unfortunately the two holes drilled in the mounting bracket don't line up with the catch can.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'd like to see the video, too. I'm getting ready to install the EC catch can, unfortunately the two holes drilled in the mounting bracket don't line up with the catch can.
I had the same issue. Contact EC and they'll send out another one.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I recently went through a ton of posts on the EC Catch Can before ordering mine and it seems like the mounting hardware/location depends on the type of transmission you selected. They originally designed the kit using an automatic and had it mounting on the firewall with a right-angle bracket, but there's already something in that area if you've got a manual transmission so they moved it to the side near the shock tower with the straight bar mount. (In my opinion, a better location anyway...)

As far as differences with input/output sides, you can flip the internals to have it either way.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For manual transmission cars with an EC V4 or similarly sized intake, here's a good spot for the can. The hoses can be routed this way by moving the cage inside the can to the other side. Thanks to Bulldog66 for the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
When I get home, I'll check this myself and post a video. That way it should be clear what's normal, and what's not.

Greg

@Greg - any progress on this? I know you've been away, so I assume not, but figured I'd check.

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Vendor
3,657 Posts
Have you considered putting some steel wool in the can? This gives more surface area for the oil to condense.

Please don't do that. While it will reduce the amount of oil that gets into the engine, the risk of tiny bits of steel wool going in are just too great.

Greg

·
Vendor
3,657 Posts
No worries Greg. As Chris will attest, I've already purchased a kit from you folks, and when things thaw out I'll be installing it early in the coming spring. The main thing I was actually wondering about was that a lot of posts were about the hoses being really tight to work onto the requisite fittings, and whether that was a hose sizing issue, or just a mistaken order situation.

The hoses are sized correctly, however they won't push on easily unless they are lubed up. Use some dishsoap and water and they slide right on, when it dries they will grip the fittings really well.

Greg

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'm planning on using that and a self-tapping SS machine screw to perform the fitment.
I used a 1/4”-20 threaded insert in that hole.

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
Good idea about using a threaded insert. Like the look with the anodized hose fittings too! I would've swapped the inlet and outlet hoses on the can though (inlet on the right, outlet on the left), so they don't cross over like that, but that's just the OCD in me talking.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I would've swapped the inlet and outlet hoses on the can though (inlet on the right, outlet on the left)

The hoses are correct for this can. The inlet goes into a baffled chamber, then into the main catch chamber before exiting. I would have liked it the other way, but it is the way the can is set up.

Dan

·
Registered
159 Posts
The hoses are correct for this can. The inlet goes into a baffled chamber, then into the main catch chamber before exiting. I would have liked it the other way, but it is the way the can is set up.

Dan
The EC catch can is capable of having the hoses on either side. Disassemble it and swap the baffled chamber to the other side if your mounting location causes the hoses to be crossed.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts