Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hose #2 to in port and out port to hose #1. The built-in 1.4 AOS unit is just under hose #2
Could I ask a follow-up? This catch can has 1/2” inlet/ outlet. The hoses from the engine side are (I believe) 5/8” and 3/4”. My question is “is this going to cause a restriction of any kind”? I see plenty of people putting these on our cars, but it worry’s me a little.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm far from an expert but I don't think that small restrictions caused by the catch can ports would affect the operation. I don't know if you have seen that thread but this is discussed a bit:

Hose size for Catch Can

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm far from an expert but I don't think that small restrictions caused by the catch can ports would affect the operation. I don't know if you have seen that thread but this is discussed a bit:

Hose size for Catch Can
Thank you, I think it will be OK, I’m going to use the standard barb as supplied by Mishimoto (1/2”) then step it up immediately to the 3/4”/ 5/8” size required. I really appreciate your response/ help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My can has similar setup. After I took pics, I changed to spring clamps and flipped the bracket so can fits 1/2" higher. Hoses clear the upper radiator hose and intake easily.

Finding oil resistant hose in size I needed as a pain. These hoses are temporary, I will replace with more suitable hose later in the week. Got some stuff coming from Pegasus Racing. In my case needed 2 feet of 5/8 hose, 1 foot 3/4". I upsized the Can fittings to 5/8" Barbed.
Hi @Racer27, I have also purchased the Mishimoto Compact can, the barbs are 1/2” and I have ‘stepped up/ down’ to the 3/4” and 5/8” hoses. I asked Mishimoto whether going from larger to smaller diameters would cause any restriction issue at all and affect performance in any way, this is their reply “Stepping down the hose size would not cause any significant restrictions in the system”, I wasn’t hugely keen on the wording ‘significant restriction’, have you any thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've had no issues... I collect a couple tablespoons of oil in the can each oil change.

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
94 Posts
So, Mishimoto catch can installed. I decided to step down from the 19mm (3/4”) and 16mm (5/8”) hoses to the 13mm (1/2”) barbs on the can, trying to clamp the larger hoses on the smaller barbs didn’t work (not unsurprisingly), I found some really neat silicone reducers. The can bracket was a challenge, I had to move the ‘bonnet bomb’ underneath the OEM bracket and then slightly shape my bracket to sit above it, the bolt you can see, goes through the new bracket and sits on the original one to provide support. All good now, just going to add a couple of clamps to the can barbs and tidy the pipe work up then we are good to go. I think at some point I want to get the can to the front of the car, but that will take a new washer reservoir or intake, so it might have to wait.
27DF2762-3AA4-4893-B79E-2F09CB30BFFE.jpeg
23E28111-2F9C-446E-90FE-ADAB806A8BBF.jpeg

121 - 127 of 127 Posts