Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Catch can

39K views 129 replies 36 participants last post by  Walshy6677 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
As someone that's is still looking..and spent a lot of time and MONEY installing mine. Your best bet is to go with the EC catch can setup. It's all there. Easy to set up and works perfectly.

Yes don't get one with a breather. You will throw a engine code.

Good luck.

#3 ·
FYI that's the same one that a few of us on this forum installed. But you have to get bigger hose barbs for the hoses to fit. You don't wanna reduce the hose stock hose sizes. Please search the forum. Lots of threads started about this subject.

Aloha mike

Reactions: SubVette
#4 ·
The height of the can being 5" might fit a little tight near the fender.
hose connector is 9/16 OD a little small, I think it should be 3/4"od
You need better quality hoses.

#5 ·
So the EC catch can may appear expensive, but it comes with everything you need, including high quality hoses, correctly sized connectors and a mounting bracket that'll work with the car. That makes installation about a 10 minute job.

How much is your time worth?

#6 · (Edited)
Being retired my time is worth little LOL All I have is time and some cans of $$$ put away. But I do agree with you. Time to open a can and do it right .

After researching and looking on Ebay, I decided not to go cheap, When and if I do this mod it will be the one from EUROCOMPULSION

Looking at the cheap ones I can see where they cut corners. Not sure I like the two hoses crossing the windshield washer tank. But as Long as it does what it is supposed to It will be worth the extra $100 or so over the ones I was looking at after being taught they need 19mm bits and hoses, baffles etc. EC may cost more but after cables are purchased and all the bits needed for mounting, The EC solution is the best for me

My ignorance, in this case, will cost me a few more dineros. I am not a wrencher so I would not have fun seeking out all the bits and hoses I would need. I dread Auto Part Stores.lol

I guess it depends on how long I will keep the car. This is another step closer to my bucket list car Cayman, Had two C6 Vettes, a Miata SE and now the best of all of em The Spider 124, Placeholder while I learn about the Cayman.

Thanks for the gentle slap! LOL

#9 ·
Been looking at these. So far I am looking at this.
without the breather. What is the difference between a $200 catch can and the one listed on eBay, (not sure I would use their hoses). how much $$$ should an aluminum catch can assembly be?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-A...162166dcb0ffdbf085%7Ciid%3A1&autorefresh=true
You asked for our opinions.
First of all it is arguable that the catch can is even necessary for cars that tool around and run errands,shop,work,etc
The catch can is a “fun” mod that’s a do it yourself project to show that you worked on your car at cars and coffee
I get it,I put one on my former Dodge Challenger
On that note
Don’t cheap out
The one you show will Work but one look at it and it screams Chinese junk
Is that a washing machine hose?
Get the good one
You will be glad you did when people are looking under your hood.

#12 · (Edited)
I completely agree with you. But since this is such an easy and inexpensive mod that can only help, it's worth doing.

I don't do shows. No "cars and coffee here. I bowed out of the Miata Club, They don't do much actual driving. So my hood would likely not be up for viewing (except at maybe I will show up at the Miata Clubs next function.I was a member of it when I had the Miata. The only club that did less driving is the Corvette Club. All we did was drive a few miles to eat........

LOL I wouldn't use that included laundry hose. In fact, I will be going with EC's solution. I priced out the bits and pieces and decided $169 is not a bad price for a custom QUALITY made kit. In this area, there is no other acceptable solution for me.

I researched and asked the right questions. Do I NEED a catch can? Probably not according to my driving habits. But it cannot hurt. The only mods I am doing are the Diverter which is done and now a catch can. Maybe a turbo blanket. Thanks for your opinion!!

I have said a number of times that we at EC don't really care if you make your own catch can kit, or buy ours. We do care that it gets done right, and if you want to do it yourself, I encourage you to copy our kit.

The catch-can from ebay shown in this thread is OK, but it doesn't have the right size holes for the main inlet and outlet. Even if you have a larger fitting on it for bigger hoses the threaded holes in the can itself are a bit small. It MAY be restrictive at very high power levels. It should be fine for anything up to Phase 1, and probably Phase 2. I like that it has a little dipstick. That's a nice feature.

Greg
I looked at most of them and after comments and opinions stated I decided I will buy EC's model. I paid a small fortune for good aftermarket leather seats. I should not cheap out as you say with cheap Chinese parts.Especially under the hood.

I will be doing this and possibly a turbo cooler blanket but I am still researching the need for that. Another $169, LOL $169 seems to be a popular number.

What do you think about the turbo blanket?

#10 ·
I have said a number of times that we at EC don't really care if you make your own catch can kit, or buy ours. We do care that it gets done right, and if you want to do it yourself, I encourage you to copy our kit.

The catch-can from ebay shown in this thread is OK, but it doesn't have the right size holes for the main inlet and outlet. Even if you have a larger fitting on it for bigger hoses the threaded holes in the can itself are a bit small. It MAY be restrictive at very high power levels. It should be fine for anything up to Phase 1, and probably Phase 2. I like that it has a little dipstick. That's a nice feature.

Greg

#72 ·
Catch Can $$$

Greg
Hey Greg, regarding your kit. What's with the lollipops included in the kit??? Have satisfactorily installed your Catch Can. Perhaps you included the several lollipops because my forum moniker is CA_Kid. :D
CA_Kid

#11 ·
Finally!!! My catch can on its way, hopefully here Friday. Of course I can't install it yet. Waiting on Greg to send me the V4 intake and Intercooler.

#14 ·
ok......while we are talking catch cans. l am about to order the hoses and uprated barbs for my Mishimoto CC. Question ? I measured the OEM connections at 3/4 inch OD, so l am looking at buying 3/4 lD inch hose. Makes logical sense to me, however l do recall some on this forum inferring they used 5/8 inch (ID).......which l assume would be an interference fit

What size hose is best ??

Thanks

#18 ·
I've got the exact same question on the ID hose size for the Mishimoto Catch Can. I may upsize the fitting can as it is smallish at 1/2 Barbed OD.

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
agree very worth it... the ONLY downside i could think of is that after you finish, you wish you had ordered something else because just like that, the fun is over.

#19 ·
This is what I am going to end up doing for the Mishimoto catch can:

All Parts Sourced from Summit racing:

Going to replace the plastic fittings on can with Black Anodized 3/8" NPT to 5/8" barbed (Probably optionial)
Also ordered a 3/4 to 5/8 plastic hose reducer ($4)
Order 1 each 3' length of 5/8 and 3/4 hose oil resistant hose

The 5/8 will go straight from the engine to can, the 3/4 will step down before can. Also going to get some shielded worm clamps, although may just use existing clamps at the engine with so high quality tie wraps.

Have not decided if I am going to mount over the V4 using former bold for stock air intake or if I mount on fender or firewall. I don't want to drill any holes in car so I will fab a simple "S" Shaped bracket.

Reactions: sharkcohen
#118 ·
This is what I am going to end up doing for the Mishimoto catch can:

All Parts Sourced from Summit racing:

Going to replace the plastic fittings on can with Black Anodized 3/8" NPT to 5/8" barbed (Probably optionial)
Also ordered a 3/4 to 5/8 plastic hose reducer ($4)
Order 1 each 3' length of 5/8 and 3/4 hose oil resistant hose

The 5/8 will go straight from the engine to can, the 3/4 will step down before can. Also going to get some shielded worm clamps, although may just use existing clamps at the engine with so high quality tie wraps.

Have not decided if I am going to mount over the V4 using former bold for stock air intake or if I mount on fender or firewall. I don't want to drill any holes in car so I will fab a simple "S" Shaped bracket.
Hi, I am just getting around to installing a catch can. I got fed up of waiting for EC to come back into stock and so purchased a Mishimoto, btw very happy with quality. The in/ out points are M16 x 1.5 with 1/2” (13mm) barbs. I intend to step up (or down, whichever way you look at it) from these straight into the 3/4” (19mm) and 5/8” (16mm) hose. I am using fluoro-lined (so suitable for oil) silicone hose. I am concerned with the stepping-down process into the catch can, in terms of creating any restriction, I’d appreciate thoughts?

#20 ·
Possible Mishimoto Catch Can installation position

For this installation I ordered a light to roll bar bracket (comes as set of 2) with a 2.5" opening, same as the diameter of the Mishimoto Catch Can I have.

Waiting for the brackets to arrive I ordered a EC V4 Intake system, so the installation position for my Catch Can will be different.
Never the less someone else could benefit from this described setup. As said, it was my initial setup because I think it looks clean and neat. I expect I can use the same bracket to install the Catch Can above the EC V4 Intake system. There is also a mounting hole on the same tower strut which can be used.

View attachment 46849 View attachment 46857 View attachment 46865

View attachment 46873 View attachment 46881

Attachments

#21 ·
After a long while hunting and gathering the various bits I needed I finally got around to fitting my Mishimoto CC. l had 3 attempts at fabricating a bracket before I was happy ....but may lift it a bit as it just clears the intake atm

Thanks to those who provided advice and inspiration

I am quite chuffed with the result

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
My can has similar setup. After I took pics, I changed to spring clamps and flipped the bracket so can fits 1/2" higher. Hoses clear the upper radiator hose and intake easily.

Finding oil resistant hose in size I needed as a pain. These hoses are temporary, I will replace with more suitable hose later in the week. Got some stuff coming from Pegasus Racing. In my case needed 2 feet of 5/8 hose, 1 foot 3/4". I upsized the Can fittings to 5/8" Barbed.

#23 ·
Pictures attached...

Attachments

#24 ·
Tell it like it is Brother….

I was amazed how fiddly and difficult it was finding all the “little bits” required to complete the install. And being in Oz some of the bits were very hard to find – the new brass barbs.

It took some time to figure out why the OEM hose was connected to a 5/8” barb and one end and a ¾” barb on the other (as it transpired the OEM 5/8" hose was thin enough to stretch over the ¾” barb….. I did the same. Funny thing with the hose was after trying everywhere to find somewhere that had the correct hose and would sell a short length I found it in a shop located 5 mins walk from my home

#25 ·
I installed a custom axle-back exhaust, and I get this fine layer of black dust on the back bumper. If I got one of these catch cans, would that help cut down on the amount of this black dust, if it's being caused by some excess oil making it back into the intake system? I get that it's probably a good thing to have anyway, but just wondering if that would be an added benefit in my particular case? And from what I've read on here so far, most likely would get the EC piece, since it comes with everything I'd need, no need to shop for hoses and barbs.

#27 ·
The EC kit looks nice.But I've seen posts with really nice looking hoses (or hose covers?) like Joseph124 and dfnsmn34. Any links on getting those from somewhere? Seems to me if I'm going to take the time and money to install one I'd like it to be really aesthetically pleasing.

#28 ·
#29 ·
Awesome! Thanks

#31 ·
I still have the stock airbox, so I'm limited on mounting locations for the EC catch can. But I see a V2 in the future, so I might move it to the front, so the hoses will have a more direct and shorter route to the OEM fittings. It works where it is, I can reach down and unscrew the body to check the contents, without having to unbolt anything.

Attachments

#32 ·
So I ordered the carbon fibre catch can from Mishimoto. Nice piece. But the barbs (correct word?) are not remotely the same size as the attachment on the PCV or intake side.I could fit 2 of the catch can barbs inside the PCV outlet. The hose that comes with the can has an external diameter of 1/2".
So the obvious question is, how do I get the hoses to fit?

#36 ·
thanks.
Ugh. Seems a bit daunting. I love the mishimoto can but maybe shoulda just gone with the EC. That'll learn me for not following the majority of folks on the thread. Lol.

Reactions: depotdan and jetlag
#39 ·
Stretch you skill set and learn new things. It's fun and exciting, anybody who has the means can throw money at a car. Putting thought, time, and effort into something is far more satisfying.

Reactions: Mike34
#38 ·
@pikeman Yes sir. YOU nailed it. fast, easy and effective...plus the VENDOR support.

If you like to modify tinker and build. By all means do it. But I even bought the EC unit AND still modified it to WHAT I wanted (AND I still am...lol) so I'm STILL spending money on it.

anyone remember the Gatorade commercials? BE LIKE MIKE? well don't! lol

Just buy the EC catch can setup!

aloha mike

Reactions: SteveWy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.