Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted an oil catch can to their 124?

Photos and a how too would be great If you have!

Thanks,

Bertie

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,030 Posts
It is a good question, a lot of folks with intakes reporting a lot of blowby oil getting in there and oil dripping out. That means same oil is coating inside of intercooler and reducing efficiency. Curious to see if anyone has done a catch can yet.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm sure a product from another MultiAir platform could be easily adapted.

That said, I'm on the look out for a unit designed for a diesel engine. Diesels generate significantly more blow-by than petrol engines, and so catch cans for these often feature pressure relief valves.

Having read a number of horror stories of crankcase over pressurisation on petrol engines fitted with catch cans I thought this would be the safer way to go.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It is a good question, a lot of folks with intakes reporting a lot of blowby oil getting in there and oil dripping out. That means same oil is coating inside of intercooler and reducing efficiency. Curious to see if anyone has done a catch can yet.
Ok, so please forgive my ignorance as I am fairly new to fiddling with car engines. What type/make of intake is causing oil to drip out (aka leak?), and what amount of loss is being observed? And that does not happen with the stock intake, if not how come? Cursory google search did not answer, if there are any article(s) that would educate I'd be eternally grateful for any and all pointers.

Thx, S

Reactions: SteveWy

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,030 Posts
I am not saying the intake is 'causing' anything, just that you might notice it with open intake whereas with factory sealed up system you just do not see it as easily. Boosted motors get a mist of oil blowing past the piston rings and into the crankcase, valve cover space, et. In the old days a crank case breather would let that stuff out, but emissions laws require the car re-breathe those emissions, so tubes connect back to intake track and carry that oil mist back into the intake track so car can burn those emissions, etc. Great for emissions control, not so great for intercooler efficiency if it gets coated with oil on the inside, etc.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Great for emissions control, not so great for intercooler efficiency if it gets coated with oil on the inside, etc.
As I confirmed today when I took off the breather hose to measure the diameter of the fittings. A liberal dollop of oil coated my finger...

I've come to the conclusion a catch can for these cars is a MUST!

·
Registered
615 Posts
As above, the measurements I got were OD ~18mm at the engine end, and OD ~20mm at the air intake end.

Therefore a catch can with OD 19mm fittings will do just nicely! As it so happens...

http://www.flashlube.com/en/products/catch-can-pro.html

A warning to all, do NOT fit a catch can with fittings smaller than OEM. You will create a restriction in the system potentially causing crankcase over pressurisation.

The benefit of the diesel unit is it also comes with both pressure and vacuum relief valves to help prevent the above.

I've one on order, so an install thread to come shortly...

·
Vendor
3,342 Posts
It's not so much the size of the fittings, although those do matter. The bigger issue is the internal design and how it separates the air from the oil. I have been running this on my car for months, if set up correctly it's worthwhile.

Pete, the unit you suggested appears to be set up for a car with an oil return line installed, which the 124 doesn't have. No biggie, but you will have to plug that, and if it leaks you will have a mess, so use a quality hi temp oil compatible plug.

Greg

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
It's not so much the size of the fittings, although those do matter. The bigger issue is the internal design and how it separates the air from the oil. I have been running this on my car for months, if set up correctly it's worthwhile.

Pete, the unit you suggested appears to be set up for a car with an oil return line installed, which the 124 doesn't have. No biggie, but you will have to plug that, and if it leaks you will have a mess, so use a quality hi temp oil compatible plug.

Greg
Greg, can you share some pics of your install?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correct me If I'm wrong but Gregs catch can looks like the baffled Mishimoto catch can?

·
Registered
615 Posts

Greg
The kit includes a drain line and spigot, which can be neatly routed to underneath the car for easy hassle free periodic drainage.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Some of the aftermarket kits contain fittings as small as 9mm with step down adapters. This is a disaster waiting to happen...

The Flashlube contains a filter element rated between 20,000 - 40,000 km dependant on soot (keeping in mind it's developed for a diesel engine), and can flow up to 250 litres per minute.

Inferior kits rely on sufficiently slowing the passage of air to drop the oil out of suspension, effectively creating a restriction to the free flow of air.

Some even contain sintered brass or bronze filters which are usually used in high pressure (compressed air) applications!

·
Registered
615 Posts
The kit includes a drain line and spigot, which can be neatly routed to underneath the car for easy hassle free periodic drainage.
Was having a look at a possible mounting location for the unit tonight, and there are some very exciting developments in that regard!

Watch this space! ;)

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
so is this why my car smells like burned oil all the time?
I've been smelling this. My Dart did they same. It turned out on the Dart that the PCV oil separator had an o-ring that was notorious for leaking all over the top of the motor. I'm wondering if the 124 has the same design with its PCV box. There is a replacement Viton o-ring for the Dart that solves the issue.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts