Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is a UK employe of the fiat/Chrysler group. Part of his employment package he receives a daily drive vehicle, from the brands fleet. Normally he takes charge of each vehicle for about three months before swapping it for the next one. The guys a petrol head and has owned many sportscars.

Few weeks back he was excited to hear that he was getting an Abarth Spider. Here in the Uk that car has LSD, 30bhp more than the fiat spider and a 'record monza' exhaust. It was a model he'd previously driven at a pre-launch corporate track day. After the event I recall him saying, "i defy anyone to drive this car and not laugh out loud".

The day came and he picked up his Abarth Spider daily drive. That night driving home from work he had great fun playing with the audio delights available from the 'monza exhaust'.

Throughout subsequent early morning starts for work he was concerned by the potential of noise nuisance within his neighbourhood. The fruity noise of the car frequently drew attention, not always favourable. Quickly both of his daughters refused to travel in the car. The noise of the exhaust caused them to feel self-conscious and embarrassed when they were being picked up/dropped off. The final straw resulted from a 4hour, 70mph drive on a heavily trafficked motorway. The previously enjoyed audio delight was now an invasive nuisance. The combination of these events caused him to actively seek a car swop after three weeks.

I have no reason to repeat the above other than it may be of interest to others. Right now I'm very happy with my fiat spider. My friends experience has not closed my mind to the possibility to future ownership of an Abarth. Were all different.

Have fun whatever you drive.

·
Vendor
3,334 Posts
That all makes sense. He isn't happy with the exhaust because it's too loud. I get that. Thankfully this isn't a big problem. There are already quite a few exhaust options so I would think he could find something he likes.

1. Standard 124 exhaust
2. Standard 124 Abarth exhaust
3. 124 Abarth exhaust with Record Monza section ( he didn't like this one )
4. Remus
5. Goodwin, which should count as several options since they offer in in at least two configurations, plus you can choose to include the downpipe or not.
6. I know of at least 3 more on the way.

Yes, some options will be too loud for some people. The Record Monza exhaust is supposed to be loud. By oem standards, it's the exhaust they aim at hardcore enthusiasts. I personally find exhaust to be a tricky product to deal with, because what's just right for some people is way too loud for others. In addition to personal preference, a lot depends on usage. A fun car for Sunday drives can be a lot louder than the car you fire up and commute to work in everyday.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
My previous car (a Renaultsport Megane) used crack and pop on every downshift (sometimes enough to scare dogs and small children). And if you you are going to drive a car with red mirrors and blackout war paint, you are hardly the shy type.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My current car isn't exactly quiet. The potential for noise is one of the reasons I bought an Abarth. Bring on the Record Monza.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The US exhaust is fairly toned down compared to the Monza. If anything, I'd want something louder but I'd want to be able to control it. My 2010 Corvette had dual mode exhaust which kicked in loud at 3,000 RPM. I liked the sound, so I installed a rocker switch under the dash which enabled me to control it and run it at lower RPM's. If I were to go with a louder exhaust on the 124 I'd want the same control, the ability to turn it on or off. Yes, there's the issue of driving through quiet neighborhoods. There is also the occasional headache where you just want things quiet, lol.

Reactions: Greg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Picking up my 124 abarth next week, but its exhaust is nothing compared to when I fire up my 1200bhp 69 mustang that will sit next to it in the garage, let the neighbors complain.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I thought the whole idea of the Record Monza was that it was a dual mode exhaust? I'd love to keep current sound levels when I return home late at night, but have it open up as most manufacturers now have as an option/standard on V8s

·
Registered
958 Posts
Over 7500 miles, I have come to love the sound of my Lusso. I had toyed with the idea of changing it out for something less restrictive, but am perfectly satisfied with the stock exhaust. Of course, mine probably sounds a bit throatier than truly stock Lussos.

Reactions: wedgewa

·
Registered
284 Posts
M7ART,

Thanks for the honest take and feedback on the sound. My NC was a bit loud with the Goodwin RSII, though I felt perfectly within reason and no one complained about it. But now that I have the Abarth with the nice burble but overall much quieter, not so sure I want to turn the volume up that loud on the exhaust. I love making changes but will need to hear more about the Monza system in the US and see just how bad it is. My wife loves driving in the Abarth, which is a good thing. My Elise was so loud no one else would drive in the thing with me, and don't want to do that again.

·
Banned
425 Posts
I don't plan on droning down the freeways much in this car. On the back roads, the exhaust on my U.S. Abarth is feedback. Inside the vehicle, the sound is just the right level to provide me the feedback as to what the engine and vehicle is doing that I input into my driving. Since I plan to be the one in the car, if it is too loud outside the car, it isn't really my problem. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I say fine with that. You're entitled.
As far as teenagers go, I have had 'em and although my pair didn't mind the vehicles we owned, if they had, they would have been walking!

Exhaust sound is hugely subjective. I hate HD motorcycle racket. It is pure noise as far as I'm concerned. We have a clown in our neighborhood who never fails to let everyone within a few blocks know when he is out and about. I balloon-foot my Abarth until clear and it's lots more quiet to begin with.

Pete

·
Registered
79 Posts
We might be developing something as well...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts