Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the topic of "USB format compatibility" has been done to death on the forum but I was looking around to see if anyone had tried the CD quality WAV file formats on their USB drives and after a bit of searching I couldn't find any topics or posts, other than the various discussions on MP3 and WMA and FAT32, etc, etc.

Anyway my Son was fed up with my complaining about the poor quality sound from my historically low quality rips of our extensive CD collection and as a birthday surprise he re-ripped all the CD's into WAV format. To my surprise this music format worked fine in my tweaked '18 Abarth and the quality was genuinely awesome.

Give it go, hopefully you will be as pleasantly surprised as I was. It certainly breathes life into the old favourites.

Registered
You can also RIP your audio library using "FLAC" format which is the closest to wav quality. The problem is that the Mazda/Fiat infotainment don't support it natively. The solution is to install the FLAC format from AIO tweaks.
COMMON TWEAKS THAT WORK IN THE FIAT 124 SPIDER INFOTAINMENT CENTER 7.0

You can buy flac format music from many music services providers or rip yourself from your personnal media using application like Exact Audio Copy (EAC).
Exact Audio Copy

Reactions: achinitrz

Registered
Is the Spider鈥檚 audio system capable of taking advantage of the improved fidelity?

Reactions: SJWhiteley

Registered
Yesterday we had better recordings(vinyl records) and less quality audio players. Unless you bought expensive units.
Today, better audio players and cheaper in price, but content ourselves with less quality music(mp3) beside the wav.
Maybe we're getting old and our ears don't detect the difference. LOL

Premium Member
The root issue is not that .mp3 files are inherantly inferior, but the specs used when they are created has a significant impact on the qaulity of the sound. To keep the file sizes down, most are created lower sampling bit rates, and just like image resolution, higher is better. I'm just happy we don't have to rely on a 6 disc CD changer in our vehicles in order to gain access to a variety of music. :)

Registered
2020 Fiat Spider 124 Urbana AT
I've got MP3s on my music stick as well. I'm willing to re-rip WAV files to get better quality.

Thing is ... I'm not sure I hear a difference. Do you?

Registered
Most of my recordings are mp3, some WMA (Windows Media...). I can tell when the WMA play in that the volume decreases. I can't tell a quality difference due to the wind whipping around me with the top down. I rip the mp3 files at the highest quality setting the program allows. If I used the FLAC, etc., I couldn't fit as many tunes on my 64gig chip. It's a balancing act for me.

Steve.

Reactions: CDPond

Registered
2020 Fiat Spider 124 Urbana AT
I've got MP3s on my music stick as well. I'm willing to re-rip WAV files to get better quality.

Thing is ... I'm not sure I hear a difference. Do you?
Correction!

I did a comparison of the same song in two formats. One was WAV and I thought the other was MP3 -- but it turns out it was actually WMA. That's why I didn't hear a difference. Then I checked other albums ripped in MP3, and there is a definite drop-off.

So, time to re-rip after all! Glad I read this thread!!

Registered
Just go with the higher bit rate compression. You will not hear the difference in the 124s audio system (even the Bose system is quite weak compared to even a semi-decent home system). Additionally it depends on the music, a classical composition is likely to suffer more at the hands of compression than the average, throw-away, modern song.

If you think you can hear the difference of a ripped CD (do people still have those?) to WAV vs MP3, then have at it: memory sticks are cheap.

Reactions: CDPond

Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
I agree with SJWhiteley, if the MP3 tracks were at a comparable bit-rate then the 'clarity' differences you hear between MP3 and WAV are most likely differences in volume. You can open song tracks using a free tool like MP3Gain and look at the volume settings. Higher settings will make the track sound louder in turn making you think it sounds 'better' at least until clipping occurs.

Registered
I'm often bemused why those that wish to provide audio devices don't use FLAC and OGG Vorbis. Both are superior size wise with OGG having better control over bit rate than MP3. I rip all my audio into these two but have to use MP3 for the car? Considering the infotainment is based on Linux (which I use at home) I find it all a bit mystifying. All this without having to pay royalties.

Apart from the financial politics, am I missing something?

Registered
I'm often bemused why those that wish to provide audio devices don't use FLAC and OGG Vorbis. Both are superior size wise with OGG having better control over bit rate than MP3. I rip all my audio into these two but have to use MP3 for the car? Considering the infotainment is based on Linux (which I use at home) I find it all a bit mystifying. All this without having to pay royalties.

Apart from the financial politics, am I missing something?
You aren鈥檛 wrong. You are just too logical ;). The world is awash with inferior products which overrun a clearly better product. Humans are unpredictable and sometimes flock to something which has reasonable people scratching their head, and screaming 鈥榳hy?!鈥

Once a critical mass has been reached, there鈥檚 almost nothing which will stop that.

Another, more specific, point: music is about music and not bit rates. To paraphrase Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction 鈥...they don鈥檛 know know what the f*** a bit rate is.鈥

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most my CD's were ripped 15 years ago on the highest compression possible (because space used to be a premium) - definitely any recent ripping of a CD is going to offer up something better. Spotify and Radio all sounded significantly better my old rips.

Definitely cant hear the difference with the wind whistling (well roaring...) but sadly I sit in traffic all too frequently and my music is my solace.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts