Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CEL came on Monday on the way to work and took it to the service department after work. They couldn't diagnose anything yesterday. Today they state that it "Looks like diagnostic flow chart is leading towards it being an issue within the throttle body assembly. Further investigation found, that if the throttle body requires replacement, that we will have to order that part. Better news, that part is currently on backorder, and there is NO “release date” at this time. . We have opened a case with Fiat engineers and have been in contact with them for assistance in this matter."

Anybody have any trouble with this before?

·
Registered
261 Posts
You wouldn't happen to know exactly what DTC/CEL code it was? Does the car run like normal when you drive it with the light on? Typically if it is an issue with the throttle assembly or the throttle position sensor, you will not only get a check engine light illuminated, but also a throttle light (which appears as two parentheses with a lightening bolt in the middle, lit up in red).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I do not know the code. The only light that came on was the CEL. They couldn't even get their computer to communicate with the car when I dropped it off Monday after work (which worried me somewhat). I will see if I can find out what the code was.

·
Registered
261 Posts
That is a bit worrisome. Usually the throttle light comes on if there is a problem with the throttle, and you definitely know it by how the car drives (or better yet, doesn't drive!). It will stutter roughly, rev randomly, and typically the idle is very jumpy.

Perhaps the ECU (they'll call it a PCM) is bad. It has igniter coils internally that can but rarely short and cause electrical issues. Curious with what they come back with. Let us know if we can help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. It seemed to drive fine. The only thing i have noticed the last week or so was that it seems to be using up the gasoline quicker. I haven't been driving harder or faster than normal either.

He said he would get the codes and that he will hear from Fiat and update me.

Side note - they didn't have anything similar at their rental shop so I got the big Yukon. That thing is a land barge.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Slightly different concern ...my CEL came on on Sunday. Car seems to run normal, but was noticing the blue temp light staying on longer .....then suddenly the CEL goes out three days later, not to come on since. I had made an appt. for next Monday, now I do not know what to do.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Slightly different concern ...my CEL came on on Sunday. Car seems to run normal, but was noticing the blue temp light staying on longer .....then suddenly the CEL goes out three days later, not to come on since. I had made an appt. for next Monday, now I do not know what to do.
The thermostats have been problematic for some people - mine was replaced in September and i haven't had a problem since. Even though my CEL had gone out before the part came in, my dealer said that Fiat insisted that they do the replacement anyway as the problem wasn't unique to my car. So - worth having them check on it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would guess that when the CEL was on your were having colder weather and the ECU detected a low coolant temperature after a timeout. I had the light come and go with the code P0128 for 2,000 miles until I could get a new thermostat. Since then warm ups went from 20 minutes to 8 minutes and no light.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apologies for no update lately. Work has taken over my life. So, it turns out it was the thermostat housing and not the throttle body assembly. He must have "misunderstood" the technician were his words. States the part is on backorder and will check ETA on Monday.

Meanwhile I still drive the Yukon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Apologies for no update lately. Work has taken over my life. So, it turns out it was the thermostat housing and not the throttle body assembly. He must have "misunderstood" the technician were his words. States the part is on backorder and will check ETA on Monday.

Meanwhile I still drive the Yukon.
If it is the thermostat then go ahead and pick your car up and enjoy it. The issue is with them sticking in the open position and taking too long to warm up setting a Thermostat Rationality code. The vehicle is completely safe to drive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the car back.............

But it came with some knocking noise. It sounds like something is loose. It wasn't happening at the service center. When I pulled into my driveway and parked in the garage it was knocking. Taking it back first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
676 Posts
But it came with some knocking noise. It sounds like something is loose. It wasn't happening at the service center. When I pulled into my driveway and parked in the garage it was knocking. Taking it back first thing in the morning.
Disturbing. Keep us in the loop. Good luck. Check oil before going.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Disturbing. Keep us in the loop. Good luck. Check oil before going.
They are looking at it now. In meetings for a chunk of the morning/lunch time. Will update when I can. He did say that the code for the thermostat was PO128 - Thermostat Rationality.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tech said a PCV hose came loose. Not making the knocking sound now. Thermostat is working good too.

Going to contact him to get more detail on the hose.

·
Registered
676 Posts
That's encouraging news. I guess we "crossed in the mail!". Thanks for the update. When I was a puppy tech way back when, my boss would always say: If it's doing something which was not there before you touched it, it's probably something you did, wether you are aware of it or not.

Sounds like a hose was knocked loose during the install and went un-noticed. That thermostat is buried. Keep us informed. Always nice to know it was a minor issue.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I had a similar issue today. Drove the car to work without issue (the car stays in the garage at home). Got in to leave work today (outside, colder than normal weather today) and the malfunction indicator light came on followed by the flashing ETC light. The has not happened the past 2 days. Mods are listed in my signature.

Going to check all my plugs and hoses here in a bit. Based on the information mentioned above - anything specific I should be looking for?

*EDIT*

I should add that after the car sat for a bit I took it back out and the ETC light was no longer on, but the CEL is still on. I checked all the connections under the hood and even removed/plugged them back in for the V4 and the yellow plug under the DV+

1 - 20 of 41 Posts