Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
By the way guys, thank all of you who are commenting on my thread and providing this great insight to this platform I am new to and making me feel welcome with all your help :) Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,647 Posts
It's what we do here. You've seen my 2 threads, it covers EVERYTHING from everybody.

Reactions: celbii

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Yeah I'm definitely wondering if I'm just not seeing it. Terrible quality video:

I'm about to bust out the calipers and measure the movement tomorrow.
If you are like me, you will want to know why and try to fix it but at the same time, don't sweat it too much if its working for you. Maybe your slide onto the pin vs mine is a little different and back off 1/2 turn and try if you are looking for perfection.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I blew it up to full screen and it jumps at 10 for sure and does not snap back when you creep to 7. Maybe slightly sticky plunger or just at the hairy edge of moving sooner and a half turn back might work just because of the "slides onto the pin" variable.

Reactions: celbii

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I want to place my order with EC so I can have some parts on hand, but hard time deciding between red or black intake/intercooler :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
@Calehedron it's definitely getting dissected. My ECU has trimmed up boost since my last tune so I've been getting a bit of boost venting in this warmer weather, fresh tune is incoming. Still curious about this though.

@celbii the red silicone gang is a disturbed group of individuals. They're probably trying to figure out how to powder coat their SO's as I write this.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I want to place my order with EC so I can have some parts on hand, but hard time deciding between red or black intake/intercooler :)
I went black there as a subdued thing first and while I don't regret it, go with all red silicone vacuum hoses. Can get a variety kit for just under $50 or get 10ft rolls of 3,4,6, and 10mm. Why? So you can see them in all the black that is already there! I had black patchwork before hitting the EC shop in OK and Toby replaced everything with nice black silicone but it is a pain to see, trace, etc for better routing and troubleshooting. The nice fat wall stuff stays on without clamps I have found after noticing all the work Toby did.

Hose Candy sells a variety kit from a link I was sent earlier, Summit sells TurboSmart brand, and the other business Greg runs is a hose company but I haven't actually found out if he has a storefront for it.

Speaking of Summit and TS. They sell the springs and wrench also. $27.xx each for springs so they have come down since I ordered the one last year for $37.

Reactions: celbii and Jon

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
@Calehedron it's definitely getting dissected. My ECU has trimmed up boost since my last tune so I've been getting a bit of boost venting in this warmer weather, fresh tune is incoming. Still curious about this though.

@celbii the red silicone gang is a disturbed group of individuals. They're probably trying to figure out how to powder coat their SO's as I write this.
I went black there as a subdued thing first and while I don't regret it, go with all red silicone vacuum hoses. Can get a variety kit for just under $50 or get 10ft rolls of 3,4,6, and 10mm. Why? So you can see them in all the black that is already there! I had black patchwork before hitting the EC shop in OK and Toby replaced everything with nice black silicone but it is a pain to see, trace, etc for better routing and troubleshooting. The nice fat wall stuff stays on without clamps I have found after noticing all the work Toby did.

Hose Candy sells a variety kit from a link I was sent earlier, Summit sells TurboSmart brand, and the other business Greg runs is a hose company but I haven't actually found out if he has a storefront for it.

Speaking of Summit and TS. They sell the springs and wrench also. $27.xx each for springs so they have come down since I ordered the one last year for $37.

I was planning to go black after a bit of thought, sadly now checking the EC website both red and black V4 intake and intercooler show out of stock for me. Hopefully a temporary thing.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
the other business Greg runs is a hose company but I haven't actually found out if he has a storefront for it.
I am a complete imbecile sometimes! I type that out, I have never looked until the moment it hit me that I email him at that other business's email and guess what? That's the store. I am so ashamed!

HPSI Motorsports

I'm so sorry @Greg !

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Yup, HPSI Motorsports.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Welcome and it's all learnings documented. Get the message out so no one else goes through it! You do not want a melted piston combined with a pandemic.

Glad you caught that! It's important to share it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
EC is already aware of this and has addressed it on their end so nothing to be concerned about, but I found it interesting the original turbo compressor housing and the one on the EC turbo I received are not the same, can't believe I never noticed this until I was trying to figure out why the wga mount was at the same angle looking at the compressor wheel dead on. Don't think there will be an issue once clocked though, I think I've got enough play in my intercooler hose. But in the pics you can see on the compressor housing on the car, the "M12" is between the wga mount and the little plaque area. On the one that came on the car, the "M12" is down by the intercooler inlet. The angle of the wga mount is more horizontal on the version I got, while it's angled more downward on the original. Wonder how many others got the different compressor housing version.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Well I got my exhaust stuff from @Good-Win Racing and its some good looking stuff :) I decided to go ahead and drop the crosspipe and sport cat to jet hot tomorrow to get coated so tonight I just installed the system one to the OEM crosspipe. Sadly I ran into an issue with it hitting at both points(circled in the picture) on the heat shield. Tried adjusting it many different ways but this is the only way things want to sit once everything is tightened up. if it had a little bit more clearance I wouldn't worry about it but you cant slide a piece of paper between the heat shield and the exhaust since its rubbing against it. Is this normal for the system one for anyone else thats installed it?

Other than that it sounded good once I started the car up for a little sound test :) Just have the straight pipe installed, haven't tried the resonator.

·
124 Spider Vendor
957 Posts
Not clocked quite where you want it.

Time to play with clocking positions. Start again at the front. Make everything loose up front and start with pushing Crosspipe straight flush up and take turns on each nut to get even torque like you would star pattern with wheel lugs to get even lay of that Crosspipe into position. Notice the straight pipe/resonator rotation makes a big difference with the pipe in front and will push/pull it side to side. Notice the flanges are not square to the body on the straight pipe. Rotate it too much one way in the V-bands and it can even pull the entire setup into the driveshaft, and the extreme other direction pushes entire assembly to outside (all that play enabled at the front end by the ball joint flex connection on exit of Crosspipe).

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Not clocked quite where you want it.

Time to play with clocking positions. Start again at the front. Make everything loose up front and start with pushing Crosspipe straight flush up and take turns on each nut to get even torque like you would star pattern with wheel lugs to get even lay of that Crosspipe into position. Notice the straight pipe/resonator rotation makes a big difference with the pipe in front and will push/pull it side to side. Notice the flanges are not square to the body on the straight pipe. Rotate it too much one way in the V-bands and it can even pull the entire setup into the driveshaft, and the extreme other direction pushes entire assembly to outside (all that play enabled at the front end by the ball joint flex connection on exit of Crosspipe).
Hey Brian,
Thanks for the super quick reply, both here and on email this late at night! I will follow your advice and try to re-clock it tomorrow evening. Thanks again, that is some good customer service!!!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well after talking to @Chainringtattoo and @chilicharger665 I just went ahead and ordered some Long stroke ohlins from SB at 6/3kg spring rates. They said they are about a month out on building them right now so it'll be a bit of a wait but I have many other things to do in the meantime so no rush. Looking forward to trying them out :)

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Well after talking to @Chainringtattoo and @chilicharger665 I just went ahead and ordered some Long stroke ohlins from SB at 6/3kg spring rates. They said they are about a month out on building them right now so it'll be a bit of a wait but I have many other things to do in the meantime so no rush. Looking forward to trying them out :)
You're coming in like a ball of fire! The last guy who came to this community and went this fast ended up blowing his engine up and is now rebuilding it into a 1.4L beast. I won't mention any names, though.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts