Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
You're coming in like a ball of fire! The last guy who came to this community and went this fast ended up blowing his engine up and is now rebuilding it into a 1.4L beast. I won't mention any names, though.
After lurking around here I'm familiar LOL. I am certainly going in on this build quickly, mostly because it gives me something to do. I've recently moved into my moms garage that I turned into a little apartment at the beginning of the year to take care of her since she had a stroke 2 years ago so the rent and bills are free instead of living in my expensive apartment. Frees up a lot of car money, though to be fair I do lose a bit of my sanity(Thats why I buy car parts to gain it back!) :) Though at the end of the day I'm glad to be in a position to help. Its also nice that my shop is only 5 minutes away from here so its quick access to lift to do all these fun mods on.

I even managed to scrounge up 3 extra hands earlier to help hold my exhaust while I try to re-adjust it. I managed to get a couple extra mm of clearance instead of rubbing, not much but just enough its not touching anymore. I'm just going to live with that for now until I get my sportcat and cross pipe back which I dropped off to jet hot earlier today before they closed, and then try to readjust from there once I have everything in place. The system one with the straight pipe(haven't tried the resonator yet) sure does sound good and makes the car a lot more fun to drive!

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,647 Posts
You're coming in like a ball of fire! The last guy who came to this community and went this fast ended up blowing his engine up and is now rebuilding it into a 1.4L beast. I won't mention any names, though.
That guy is a MOE-RON.

Reactions: Chainringtattoo

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
When I first installed my System One, I also init
Well I got my exhaust stuff from @Good-Win Racing and its some good looking stuff :) I decided to go ahead and drop the crosspipe and sport cat to jet hot tomorrow to get coated so tonight I just installed the system one to the OEM crosspipe. Sadly I ran into an issue with it hitting at both points(circled in the picture) on the heat shield. Tried adjusting it many different ways but this is the only way things want to sit once everything is tightened up. if it had a little bit more clearance I wouldn't worry about it but you cant slide a piece of paper between the heat shield and the exhaust since its rubbing against it. Is this normal for the system one for anyone else thats installed it?

Other than that it sounded good once I started the car up for a little sound test :) Just have the straight pipe installed, haven't tried the resonator.

View attachment 77056
View attachment 77057
View attachment 77058
When I first installed System One, I had this very issue. But, as I kept moving and adjusting things, it worked itself out. Note that I ended up under the car at least 5 times trying to adjust things. The fitment is now perfect, though.

Reactions: celbii

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,647 Posts
@celbii this thread is what I’ve been missing on this forum!
New 124 owners diving head first into modding their car to the extrem.
welcome and I look forward to your progress and impressions of the the mods.
P.S. Great choice going with the Ohlins they are amazing.
Damn, now I learn I've been tossed aside for the new kid on the block! I aged out.

Reactions: jetlag and celbii

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Reactions: 68wooley

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I’ve modded quite a few cars in my days, and in my old age I get wiser to do it right the first time around :) But yeah the 124 is def a car I bought mainly to be able to enjoy modding it and reaping the results from that. Just the exhaust from the crosspipe alone has already made the car so much more fun to drive today, I can’t wait to get some real power behind it and really feel it come alive.

·
Banned
3,050 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Hood struts installed and my thoughts on the Moss Miata kit from the other thread:
I've just installed the Moss miata kit for the ND. I have to say I am not pleased with this kit from the parts being labeled wrong (the hood mounts were mixed up, had to take them off after putting them on then looking at the picture) and as high as it lifts the hood. Now in their defense maybe the kit works perfectly for the miata but just to get the struts hooked up i had to lift the hood to where the corners were almost going to rub on other body work. The hood requires noticeable force to close and also I feel like I have to be very careful opening it as it feels like due to the strength of the struts the hood wants to fly open if you don't keep a hand on it. I've installed hood struts on many different cars and have never felt that uncomfortable using them, I've used sokietech in the past and haven't had issues and if I was buying struts again and knew they had some I probably would have went with them. That being said it is always nice having struts installed vs not having them.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I’ve modded quite a few cars in my days, and in my old age I get wiser to do it right the first time around :) But yeah the 124 is def a car I bought mainly to be able to enjoy modding it and reaping the results from that. Just the exhaust from the crosspipe alone has already made the car so much more fun to drive today, I can’t wait to get some real power behind it and really feel it come alive.
Same here better to do it right the first time.
This is definitely a fun car and it’s pretty easy to work on compared to other platforms.
The turbo upgrade really wakes the car up and feels how the Abarth should have come form the factory.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
@celbii
I installed these hood struts from Aliexpress 22.00 and they act like yours, It takes some good force to lift the hood then when 3/4 opened it slow down, I agree the first time I opened, I though the hood would go flying off the car. But by precaution, when opening the hood, I guide it up.

One question to you guys with the new turbo, I have the piggyback Euro-Drive-Light race map but no new Inter Cooler and stock exhaust with Remus Axelback with a V4, If I install this big new turbo what will be the benefit from what I have now.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Reactions: Chainringtattoo

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Weather was nice and cool in the shop since its been raining all day and I have the day off so I got some work done.
Vaitrix boost gauge
PTP Lava turbo blanket
Cusco Strut bar (gonna be a pain to take this on and off thanks to the washer nuts and bolts I had to rig it up with when I do the turbo and sport cat... should have just left the OEM on for now TBH)
Alfa coilpacks

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Interesting choice of location for the boost gauge - haven’t seen anyone do that before. Kinda like it 👍

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Interesting choice of location for the boost gauge - haven’t seen anyone do that before. Kinda like it 👍
I can't take full credit, I think I saw the location before on a couple year old post on here. It is nice though since it keeps it in line with the other gauges and only really blocks 120mph on.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I had my old one in front of rev counter gear indicator. I much prefer gauges to within the cluster zone. That is a good spot for it I agree.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Well after some thought I ended up ordering the V2 intake because ultimately as a road car I probably don't need to eek out the extra ounce of cold air from the V4 and considering I'm driving a roadster I would much prefer the extra turbo and intake noises of the V2 to make the ride that much more enjoyable.

I installed the cravenspeed door bushings the other day. Disappointing, can't say I notice any real difference over the stock bushings.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I installed the cravenspeed door bushings the other day. Disappointing, can't say I notice any real difference over the stock bushings.

View attachment 77337
You won't notice in normal driving. Where they are most effective is over imperfections like railroad tracks or potholes. Then again, I'm running super comfy spec (stock suspension, 16" wheels, 55 aspect tires...) so YMMV.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts