Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I DON'T want to attach a plate to my dash and I'd rather not clip a mount to my air vent. After searching Amazon for a worthy mount for my Sofia I've come up with nothing. I've considered a cup-holder gooseneck mount but I'm not crazy about those either.
At this point I'm guessing to keep my Sofia as clutter-free as possible I'll just keep putting my phone under my leg or let it move about on the console.

Has anyone found a perfect solution?

·
Registered
185 Posts
There are a few options right now, but you have better luck looking for something marketed for the Miata as it's the more common car.

There are these two that use the passenger side tunnel cup mount:

https://mx5things.com/2016/12/09/quest-for-the-perfect-phone-mount/ (The link to order it is at the top of the site)

https://www.cravenspeed.com/gemini-device-mount-for-nd-miata/

There's the ProClip that's linked above.

Then there's this approach: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=632174

I haven't decided on the best for me yet. There are things that I like and don't like about each. For now I just set my phone in the cup holder mounted on the passenger's side tunnel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
NOTHING stays in place in the cabin. Well...I suppose that if I drove differently they might but that is clearly not a solution.

I'm having the same problem but I think I am going to opt for a small holster that is velcro attached to the carpet at the driver side of the console. Doesn't work out for displaying the phone screen if you use that for navigation. I have a charger cable poking from under the console so this should work well.

Since I keep my phone is my left pants pocket there are occasions where the Bluetooth signal gets obstructed and occasionally cuts out. All is well when I take it out of my pocket but it is then subject to flying across the cabin at will.

Don't know where to buy one so I'm going to make one. I'll post pics.

Jack

·
Registered
669 Posts
I know you said no vent mounts....but

I use a small magnet clip mount on the center vent. Easy on off of both it and the phone. Simple, small and great placement to use while driving. By that I mean seeing calls, I use mine for stealth operation on my radar detector on the visor. Radar is blacked out and phone shows alerts etc. easy to charge location. Seems perfect to me in horizontal orientation. Non marring

·
Registered
616 Posts
I use Ram Mounts. Their suction cup mount is awesome, you could use it to tow a car.

That said, Ram has a lot of different mounting systems and all of the Ram stuff I have is unbreakable and rugged. In the spider, I use the suction cup, short arm, and X wing mount for my phone. I also use Ram Mounts in my 500 and 500L.

If you don't like the suction cup idea, they have many other options. You buy the components separately, so you can build just about any mounting system you want.

https://www.rammount.com

Amazon carries Ram products.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I use the magnet on the vent idea... can easily pull it off if I don't have phone in place...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PGJWYJ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GregtheBike,
The vent solution sounds almost too good to be true, given the price. Reading reviews of it on Amazon though raises questions. What kind of phone are putting on this? Do you have a case on your phone? If so, what kind? And have you been using this for a while? A lot of the reviews are positive at first but then say the clips broke or got loose.
If you could answer these questions, it would go a long way to helping me to decide.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yeah no prob
I have an iPhone SE(so smallish). I use a case, so the magnet isn't stuck to my phone. My wife uses the same with her iPhone 6 in the mini. No case though. We have both used them for about a year.

I can snap a pic of you want. Not sure how someone would break a clip off... it slides on pretty easily.

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The best place to keep the phone in this car is in the trunk.

Short if that, for longer trips I just shove it into the cubby hole in front if the gear shifter. It's mostly hidden from view there as to not be a distraction to me when I am driving. That, or I leave it in my front left pants pocket where it lives all day long. All of these options are free, and make me a safer driver (esp. having it in my pocket, or in the trunk).

Mankind created voice mail for times when you don't want to talk, can't talk, or in the case if driving, should not be talking on the phone. Every other thing these devices do for you, incl. mapping functions, is a distraction to driving. I've witnessed first-hand the gory, deadly results of cell phone distracted driving. Don't be a slave to your electronic toys. Those driving (or walking, bicycling, and motorcycling) near you will thank you.

Enjoy the ride instead.

Steve.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The best place to keep the phone in this car is in the trunk.

Short if that, for longer trips I just shove it into the cubby hole in front if the gear shifter. It's mostly hidden from view there as to not be a distraction to me when I am driving. That, or I leave it in my front left pants pocket where it lives all day long. All of these options are free, and make me a safer driver (esp. having it in my pocket, or in the trunk).

Mankind created voice mail for times when you don't want to talk, can't talk, or in the case if driving, should not be talking on the phone. Every other thing these devices do for you, incl. mapping functions, is a distraction to driving. I've witnessed first-hand the gory, deadly results of cell phone distracted driving. Don't be a slave to your electronic toys. Those driving (or walking, bicycling, and motorcycling) near you will thank you.

Enjoy the ride instead.

Steve.
Agreed mostly.

Like I mentioned though as a radar interface in front of the vent is ideal for function and safety

1. Much larger display is in field of vision and very easy to read. Plus I have it set up with different colors depending on the urgency
2. Small detector up high with very small read outs was MUCH more distracting
3. I can just tap the screen to mute vs. reaching up
4. Police can't see the warning lights. Radar is blacked out. Legal or not, police don't like them

Side benefits of using a phone app
1. Programmable, you can program in your states frequencies and types so you get less chatter
2. You can use a slider at the bottom to auto mute below a certain speed. I just keep mine at 45 and around town I don't get a bunch of alerts, not speeding around town anyway

Has saved me several times on back country roads that the local police love to hang out and catch fish in a barrel

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd be happy to mount my phone in front of the display screen. I use Android Auto on a large phone which will display the song playing, what Waze is seeing and which calls are coming in. I'd love to just prop the phone up in front of the screen if I could just figure out a way to make it stay there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can hide a neodymium magnet behind the dash panel just below the two center vents and the phone sticks there perfectly, like magic. Check Miata.net under the ND infotainment forum for pics and details. Costs about $10 for the magnet on Amazon and takes 15 minutes to install.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts