Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of buying a used Classica with about 30,000 miles on it.
I prefer leather seats but the new Classica that I tried out pinches my back so thinking of changing seats anyway. Might go with heated seats since I live in Canada. I would have to find a place for switches for them unless there is a cut out for them.
1) Does anyone have experience Changing the narrow seats? Perhaps Recaro’s?

The Lusso has automatic temperature control… I might miss that since I have been driving old Lexuses, but perhaps that is moot anyway because of the soft top.
2) Any comments on that?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You can't simply swap seats and install the switches, as all of the associated wiring/fuses/relays are also missing. If you really don't like the Classica seats, I would find a different used vehicle. I'm a big guy, and I find the seats in my Classica to be very comfortable (even moreso than the leather, which can get pretty hot in the summer, and cold in the winter). I recommend going for another extended test drive with comfortable clothes, everything adjusted properly, and see if your mind changes. You don't need seat heaters with the cloth seats!

Have you tried the Recaro's? They are probably even less forgiving, and perhaps even narrower.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The Recaro bolstering is definitely narrower. With what you are wanting I would steer towards a Lusso. Do find a Lusso and see, if the fit is better.

Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for getting back to me.
Ameridan; good to know that you fit and it’s comfortable for you… I am 6 feet, which seems to be a good height according to the YouTube vids I’ve watched. Perhaps I would get used to it… Hope so… I really like the car.
The leather choice is more aesthetics for me. Also, resists looking dirty as fast. I will go with your suggestion to try a longer test drive., And no, never tried Recaro’s.
Depotdan; Thanks, Dan, I may well end up with a Lusso.

·
Super Moderator
732 Posts
I can confirm that the fit in the Recaro seats is definitely tighter.

Also, for keeping cloth seats clean I have had great success with a small cheap steam cleaner. Daniel - I picked up the cheapest Somoniz one they had at Canadian Tire and it works well (just got a coffee stain out of my daughter's Mazda last night).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Agreed - the Recaros are narrow - specifically the drivers seat that has the metal frame in the bottom half of the seat that I’m pretty sure isn’t in any of the other seats. I can only sit in them for about 1.5 hours tops before it becomes uncomfortable.

I’m a big guy - 6’2” 250lbs - but it’s not the weight/fat that makes it uncomfortable, it’s that my physical frame size means my legs/bones sit right on top of the metal Recaro frame edge.

I did get the Paco Motorsport seat lowering kit for the ND MX—5 and that helped quite a bit - haven’t tried taking a really long drive yet though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dan, I have a Lusso and I’m a Big guy 5’10” and 215 lbs. have no problems with the seats and they are also heated. Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Tony. Do you like your car? Was the Lusso the right choice for you between the three?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes it was the way to go for me, I had an 1997 Miata NA that I bought new and traded in for the 124 Really like this car. :love: (y)

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Daniel, it sounds from your other threads that you also want an LSD. I would highly recommend scoping out used Abarths with the options that you are looking for, rather than trying to upgrade a Classica or Lusso with things that only come on the Abarth. Additionally, the Abarth gets you Sport Mode, something you can't put in the other two tiers.

I have a Lusso, and I love it. At the time of purchase, the sales person tried to steer me to an Abarth instead, but I declined because I was dead set on a Lusso. Almost 3 years later and I now wish I had gotten the Abarth. I still love my Lusso, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your kind advice and thoughts.
As I hone my preferences, I realize that I really love the relaxed Italian look of the Lusso and tend to shy away from anything that shouts “I am sporty”, like flashy seats and too many colour contrasts, bright gauges, aggressive looks, and an exhaust that is just a bit too loud. My feeling is that beneath the dinner jacket of the Lusso there is still nearly the same muscle and most of the agility of the Abarth available, while retaining it’s subtle sophistication. If the cops here had a little more sense of humour perhaps I would give my inner race driver maximum equipment to express itself, but I currently and quite often have maximum points available before drivers license is withdrawn, and that’s with a 98 Lexus LS 400 which I shift like a manual transmission at the ( you would think I would be more ) mature age of 65.
However, I will keep my mind open as I compare the models at the four dealerships here in Nova Scotia. I’ll make it a point to drive the Abarth in sport mode and see how much difference there is in the feel of it as per your advice. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of course, seeing the impressive list of your engine mods makes it easy to understand your desire for the machine that can take advantage of them to the max with its superior handling.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Daniel, it sounds from your other threads that you also want an LSD. I would highly recommend scoping out used Abarths with the options that you are looking for, rather than trying to upgrade a Classica or Lusso with things that only come on the Abarth. Additionally, the Abarth gets you Sport Mode, something you can't put in the other two tiers.

I have a Lusso, and I love it. At the time of purchase, the sales person tried to steer me to an Abarth instead, but I declined because I was dead set on a Lusso. Almost 3 years later and I now wish I had gotten the Abarth. I still love my Lusso, though.
Yeah but you’ve turned that Lusso into an Abarth killer!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just watched a year old YouTube… Sharkcohen...”Pistons & Petrol” and saw you won something there. Couldn’t help recognizing the name.
I reread your post above, and you have an impressive list of mods… With all that, what attraction does the Abarth still hold for you? You mentioned the Sport mode… I would’ve thought the attraction for that would be for someone with an auto trans who wants the shifting delayed, but it must be more than that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can't simply swap seats and install the switches, as all of the associated wiring/fuses/relays are also missing. If you really don't like the Classica seats, I would find a different used vehicle. I'm a big guy, and I find the seats in my Classica to be very comfortable (even moreso than the leather, which can get pretty hot in the summer, and cold in the winter). I recommend going for another extended test drive with comfortable clothes, everything adjusted properly, and see if your mind changes. You don't need seat heaters with the cloth seats!

Have you tried the Recaro's? They are probably even less forgiving, and perhaps even narrower.
Are you sure that heated seats cannot be added by simply swapping in factory seats with built-in heaters and by adding the OEM switches? I have been researching this for a little while and have seen where this is a simple swap on the newer MX-5s and have even seen where Abarth seats have been added to the lower trim MX-5s along with the switches in order to add heated seats.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Just watched a year old YouTube… Sharkcohen...”Pistons & Petrol” and saw you won something there. Couldn’t help recognizing the name.
I reread your post above, and you have an impressive list of mods… With all that, what attraction does the Abarth still hold for you? You mentioned the Sport mode… I would’ve thought the attraction for that would be for someone with an auto trans who wants the shifting delayed, but it must be more than that.
Mostly sport mode for the transmission enhancement, but also the LSD, and the factory Brembo brakes, and the look has grown on me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts