Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Abarth on Friday evening and today I removed the wheels and I was not necessarily shocked, but concerned that the frame is already starting to develop rust corrosion. It is currently appears to be isolated to the welds, but it was visible behind every wheel. I have attached a pic fyi.

I guess there will be an appointment for undercoating in my near future.

Regards,

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Jeff, do you know any of the history of the car to date? By that, I mean was the car bought from a northern tier state dealer that uses road salt, and was the car test driven in salty conditions before you bought it? Or for that matter, a seaside dealership? Did your dealer bring it in from a dealer in those regions?

I can't say with certainty that applying undercoating over the light corrosion will stop it. I'd think the rust would need to be removed before the undercoating was installed.

Modern car manufacturing (I think) typically uses a dip tank method of corrosion protection to the unibody structure early in manufacturing. Typically. Does Mazda not use this treatment protocol on their cars to slow the process of corrosion?

Steve.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
I think if you just spray it with a phosphoric acid based anti-rust solution (sold in spray bottles at Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware, etc. That will not only at the rust, but the residue it leaves is literally a paint primer. Then coat it with something rugged enough to handle rock chips, there are all sorts of products for that.

The reason I would rather do this myself than have it fully undercoated it because they often undercoat stuff they shouldn't, and miss areas that are important. You can do a much better job for a lot less money doing it yourself.

Greg

·
Registered
64 Posts
The reason I would rather do this myself than have it fully undercoated it because they often undercoat stuff they shouldn't, and miss areas that are important. You can do a much better job for a lot less money doing it yourself.

Greg
Unrelated, but years ago I had my Acura RSX-S in to the dealer for service (Oil change, 10,000 miles on the OD) and their highly trained tech got undercoating spray all over it (from a car he was spraying next to it). The dealer had to repaint the whole front of the car, which never matched, which pissed me off and ultimately led to me selling it...

Which is the long way of saying I hate dealers for any service work. They seem to have the lowest overall competency of all car techs...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve,

The car arrived by cargo ship in Baltimore and then was transported by rail to Orlando and finally by truck to Melbourne, Florida.

Regards,

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts