1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have experience with these filters:
price seems a lot more reasonable than Mopar:
for a cartridge filter.
Cheap filter is on top. Notice extra glue on the Mopar part.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Is the saving worth the risk? Cheap filters are cheap for a reason. Are you going to run the cheapest oil in your car, as well? I’m not sure it’s wise to scrimp a couple of bucks on one of the most important components of the engine.

I’m not saying these are bad, but looking at the pictures, there are significant differences - pleating material and caps holding the thing together.

I’ve had experience with cheap - name brand, actually - filters in another vehicle that was rather costly.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Agreed

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Mopar filter has more pleats, and therefore more filtering surface than the Catinbow.

The Mopar filter has different filtering material -- from the texture and the way it lays and creases (and from what I've read), it's synthetic or synthetic blend. Textures and pleats in the Catinbow material are coarser and thicker - indicating an older, less effective cellulose material. Synthetics usually filter smaller particles and hold more contaminants than cellulose materials.

The Mopar filter is glued into the caps. The Catinbow filter is "hot-jammed" into the caps. (Heat the caps to soften them, and then force the filter drum into them. Less glue, less expense, less filter integrity.)

The Mopar filter is more expensive than the Catinbow filter.

Mopar 3; Catinbow 1. Game. ;)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
It's $8 delivered for the OEM filter. There's saving money and then there's unnecessarily cheap. Skip a Starbucks if you have to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Mopar filter has more pleats, and therefore more filtering surface than the Catinbow.

The Mopar filter has different filtering material -- from the texture and the way it lays and creases (and from what I've read), it's synthetic or synthetic blend. Textures and pleats in the Catinbow material are coarser and thicker - indicating an older, less effective cellulose material. Synthetics usually filter smaller particles and hold more contaminants than cellulose materials.

The Mopar filter is glued into the caps. The Catinbow filter is "hot-jammed" into the caps. (Heat the caps to soften them, and then force the filter drum into them. Less glue, less expense, less filter integrity.)

The Mopar filter is more expensive than the Catinbow filter.

Mopar 3; Catinbow 1. Game. ;)
Gear Poet, thanks for the useful info! How did you come across this?
I will be returning the Catinbows. I was curious to see if there were any noticeable differences and there clearly are.
That is why I ordered both.

The rest of you, I wasn't really looking for cheap-shaming, I get that enough from my family! :)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The rest of you, I wasn't really looking for cheap-shaming, I get that enough from my family! :)
Someone had to do it, sooner or later, and you stepped up to the plate! (y)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mann, Mahle & Wix (who I think makes Mopar filters) are all high quality replacements. I buy 2-3 at the same time to save a few $.
When I performed the 1st oil change on my Spider, the orig factory filter had heavy “Z” pleats, and I don’t recall seeing the brand name.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Gear Poet, thanks for the useful info! How did you come across this?
I will be returning the Catinbows. I was curious to see if there were any noticeable differences and there clearly are.
That is why I ordered both.

Well, I looked at the photos. (I've cut apart a lot of oil and fuel filters over the last thirty years, because I like "science".) After getting some impressions, I verified as much as I could online and from notes and photos I've kept in my garage. So call it... experience. ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
A low quality oil filter can be used by the dealer as an excuse to deny any engine internal wear/damage or oil consumption warranty claim. The price of a cheap oil filter is too high, at least while under warranty.

I either use OEM filters or ones to be proven to be better quality, I save money by changing the oil myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts