Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So my CEL came on this past Sunday in my automatic transmission Abarth. At the suggestion of some forum members here I obtained an OBD code reader, and came up with some info that isn't exactly in my wheelhouse. Any mechanical layman clarification would be greatly appreciated.

I plugged in the reader and two items were displayed (Despite the infotainment system indicating only one):

$7E8: Engine, which generated the code PO128-Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature) Is this the same thermostat issue I've seen others on this forum referring to troubles with? If so, does this mean the thermostat must be replaced? I would assume this is covered under warranty?

$7E9: A/T. This leads to the message 'No Codes Are Stored In The Module.'

The car is driving seemingly just fine. It takes some time for the blue temp light to go out sometimes, but the car never gets hot. I live roughly 175 miles from a Fiat dealership. Can I continue driving the car to work, and drive to a dealership this weekend for repairs without further damaging the car? The check engine light is steady on, it is not blinking.

Any info or opinions would be sincerely appreciated!

Jason

·
Registered
211 Posts
You guessed it right. You have been cursed with the same thermostat issue as several others.

It is safe to drive it, just means that you wont have optimum performance. It will not harm anything. My suggestion would be to clear the code and see how long it takes to come back. If it comes back consistently, then you should take it to the dealer and have them read the code then they should order the replacement thermostat. Hopefully they will let you continue to drive the car because you could be waiting a while for the replacment thermostat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts