Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 1100 miles on my spider and the check engine light just came on. Can anyone give me some suggestions why or what I need to do now?

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
There is some thermostat issue that's appeared from time to time. Check the code to find out what it telling you. If it's the thermostat, it's a dealer warranty fix. If not, clear the code and it probably won't return.

Greg

·
Registered
165 Posts
That is just about when my CEL came on with a code for low coolant temp. If you are having slow warm ups (the blue light stays on for over three or four minutes on a cold engine, and full operating temp takes 15-20 minutes) you likely have the thermostat problem. Several of us have. And clearing the code with this issue only delays getting the fix, which is a replacement thermostat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response. My wife is visiting the grandkids about 400 miles away, is it safe to drive home and check it out or should she find a dealer there?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Is anyone having trouble with their dealership not have the thermostat in stock and having difficulty getting one? ..is it the same part that is on the 500Abarth?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Is anyone having trouble with their dealership not have the thermostat in stock and having difficulty getting one? ..is it the same part that is on the 500Abarth?
I had to wait a week for mine and, no, its not the same part as on the 500.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. My wife is visiting the grandkids about 400 miles away, is it safe to drive home and check it out or should she find a dealer there?
If the CEL is flashing that would be more critical, but if its steady glowing its more of a minor issue and could even be something like a loose gas cap. In any case, if you're worried and if you haven't had the car diagnosed to see what code has been set off its better to just pop in to a dealer to have it checked. Only takes a minute to check. (If its the thermostat, at least in my case, the tech verified it was fine to drive until the part came in.) Generally, a steady glowing light is still safe to drive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If the CEL is flashing that would be more critical, but if its steady glowing its more of a minor issue and could even be something like a loose gas cap. In any case, if you're worried and if you haven't had the car diagnosed to see what code has been set off its better to just pop in to a dealer to have it checked. Only takes a minute to check. (If its the thermostat, at least in my case, the tech verified it was fine to drive until the part came in.) Generally, a steady glowing light is still safe to drive.
Also in case you didnt know, if you go to the infotainment system and choose apps there is an app the will tell you what the check engine is signifying.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks checked app it said engine system malfunction, also the CEL is not flashing
The app won't tell you any specifics. It's a waste. You'll need to have someone use the diagnostic port to tell you what the issue is.

·
Registered
958 Posts
She doesn't have to go to a dealer. Many auto parts stores will check the code for free. I know that AutoZone does it. They can tell you whether it is safe to drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone for their ideas and input, appreciate it. Took it to the dealers this morning, checked the codes and was told it had a faulty signal from oil pressure switch. The switch checked out ok so the book said to clear codes, test drive and if CEL stays off it is ok. Also found a pcm update and took care of that. Not sure if the two are related. Anyway i'm back on the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first post on the forum, and it has to be a bummer. But yeah, 5500 miles and I got the check engine light and briefly the flashing one. Took it in last week. Cylinders (all) were misfiring. They opened a case with the "Fiat Engineers" and it was in the shop for three days. Fuel was on the spark plugs, so they changed them out, updated the software, and cleared the error message. They didn't really fix anything, so obviously the same thing happen today. Back to the dealer tomorrow. Any clues what may be going on here?

·
Registered
560 Posts
When I got the flashing light it was a coil pack.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My first post on the forum, and it has to be a bummer. But yeah, 5500 miles and I got the check engine light and briefly the flashing one. Took it in last week. Cylinders (all) were misfiring. They opened a case with the "Fiat Engineers" and it was in the shop for three days. Fuel was on the spark plugs, so they changed them out, updated the software, and cleared the error message. They didn't really fix anything, so obviously the same thing happen today. Back to the dealer tomorrow. Any clues what may be going on here?
Did you car ever fail to start or run rough? I had this issue immediately after an exhaust upgrade (car was running too rich). Sounds like you have a different issue that resembles a leaking injector(s).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, I was getting some rough starts and the throttle light was coming on as well. The whole car shutdown on the freeway going around 60mph, all of the lights lit up and then it restarted itself(?)... all within like two seconds. So yeah, I guess there is a few things it could be. But, not because of exhaust... yet :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts