Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Perhaps in true Italian fashion, my check engine light came on as I was driving to the Minneapolis Wheels Of Italy event yesterday. The car did drive fine after the light came on, but obviously there is still a problem that needs to be addressed. I don't live in Minneapolis, and we don't have a Fiat dealership where I live. We do have Mazda and Chrysler. I was told by the Fiat dealer I bought the car from that I can take engine issues to Chrysler, and all other issues to Mazda. Does anybody have experiences like this? If so, how did it play out?

Ideally, I would like to go to Mazda at least to have the problem code diagnosed. But does Mazda have the ability to plug in to the car and read the error code, or would I be compelled to go to the Chrysler dealer?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
872 Posts
Jason:

Any shop or dealer has the ability to at least read the code and find out what the trouble may be. The plug in for OBDll is universal. AutoZone and other parts chains also can do this, usually for free.

It would not be a bad idea for you to buy an inexpensive scanner for future use. It won't collect dust as others in the forum can tell you. It's nice to read the code yourself, and have the ability to reset the light...saves a trip to the dealer/shop. And you can get plenty of help here with codes and diagnosis. Good luck.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Two weeks ago when trying to get an oil change it was brought to my attention that not all Chrysler dealerships are "Fiat certified". Since I'm in a new state I went to the nearest one and they said they were not certified, but gave me the names of some nearby dealerships that are. It looks like for the most part the ones that are certified are ones with a Fiat/Alfa dealership along side them. It could just be they didn't want to deal with my car, but it's something to keep in mind!

I'd also second the motion to get a cheap code reader, mine has been a huge help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. Thanks, guys! I didn't actually know that the readers were universal. That surprises me. I will take your advice and look into this. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts