Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Whoops. By dirt, I didn't mean in or around the battery.

I meant dirt in and around the engine compartment. On a white car, you would not believe how easily the dirt literally screams in your face - "HEY! LOOK AT WHAT I'VE DONE. YOU'RE NICE CLEAN CAR AIN'T SO NICE AND CLEAN SUCKER!!!"
I've noted that the engine bay in the 124 stays clean for an absurd amount of time. I don't know how the airflow works around the engine but it looks like it's in a vacuum. My electric car's motor is always dirty and it is purposefully designed to minimize airflow into it...

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I think maybe taking both @Barney ‘s and @Goaterguy ’s comments and combining them to do one step might work best. (Vacuum never even occurred to me)

lossen the caps. Just enough to leave a gap for the vacuum to then suck up the dirt around the caps.

which again strengthens my want for a sealed battery.... to totally eliminate this asinine maintenance step. Lol

aloha mike

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I finally got around to this job this morning. I found the top of the battery fairly clean, but pulling the caps revealed sand and grit around the top seal lip of the holes. I used a piece of clean paper towel loosely bunched to the size of the hole, and dampened, then gently inserted into the hole. I then twisted it gently to sweep the grit onto the damp paper towel as I pulled it out, it worked very well to clean the grit out with it sticking to the damp paper towel. Clean the seals on the caps for grit, too. Be safe- assume everything you touch, and everything you do, can cause battery acid contact. Baking soda in water neutralizes the acid for cleanup.

I put distilled water in a cup and used a drinking straw to transfer the water to the cells. An eye dropper would be handier, if I had one. Dampening your finger tip used to seal the straw works nicely to keep the water from dripping out until you release your finger. I was only drawing up about 1.5" of water and carefully draining it in. Drain it too quick and water will splash back out of the cell. And although the water was covering all the plates to begin with, I brought the level up to touch the bottom of the plastic of the cap hole.

On the airbox side of the battery are lower and upper level indicator lines (the upper is hidden by the battery box, see photo), although it's tough at best to see a water level, even when shining a flashlight in the cell holes. But the upper level line pretty much corresponds with where I brought the level up to. Right now, I have the caps loose and the charger on the low 2 amp charge setting to top up the charge. The charger meter did indicate a bit of a charge was required after filling the cells. My battery has been in service for spring through fall driving since May 2017, and has 14000 miles on it.

Click thumbnail photos for larger view.
#1- grit around cap hole.
#2- "Upper Level" on battery case hidden behind the battery box, airbox side of the battery.
#3- I used about this much water total for all the cells to bring the water level up to the full indicator mark.
#4- top cell shows the black plastic battery water level indicator, at the 3 o'clock position of the cell. Bring the water up to just touch the bottom on that black plastic.

Steve.

20191007_090431.jpg 20191007_084047.jpg 20191007_084218.jpg 20191007_085853.jpg

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I finally decided to check my level yesterday and was shocked at how low it was. Thanks to this thread for bringing it to my attention.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I finally got around to this job this morning. I found the top of the battery fairly clean, but pulling the caps revealed sand and grit around the top seal lip of the holes. I used a piece of clean paper towel loosely bunched to the size of the hole, and dampened, then gently inserted into the hole. I then twisted it gently to sweep the grit onto the damp paper towel as I pulled it out, it worked very well to clean the grit out with it sticking to the damp paper towel. Clean the seals on the caps for grit, too. Be safe- assume everything you touch, and everything you do, can cause battery acid contact. Baking soda in water neutralizes the acid for cleanup.

I put distilled water in a cup and used a drinking straw to transfer the water to the cells. An eye dropper would be handier, if I had one. Dampening your finger tip used to seal the straw works nicely to keep the water from dripping out until you release your finger. I was only drawing up about 1.5" of water and carefully draining it in. Drain it too quick and water will splash back out of the cell. And although the water was covering all the plates to begin with, I brought the level up to touch the bottom of the plastic of the cap hole.

On the airbox side of the battery are lower and upper level indicator lines (the upper is hidden by the battery box, see photo), although it's tough at best to see a water level, even when shining a flashlight in the cell holes. But the upper level line pretty much corresponds with where I brought the level up to. Right now, I have the caps loose and the charger on the low 2 amp charge setting to top up the charge. The charger meter did indicate a bit of a charge was required after filling the cells. My battery has been in service for spring through fall driving since May 2017, and has 14000 miles on it.

Click thumbnail photos for larger view.
#1- grit around cap hole.
#2- "Upper Level" on battery case hidden behind the battery box, airbox side of the battery.
#3- I used about this much water total for all the cells to bring the water level up to the full indicator mark.
#4- top cell shows the black plastic battery water level indicator, at the 3 o'clock position of the cell. Bring the water up to just touch the bottom on that black plastic.

Steve.

View attachment 73370 View attachment 73371 View attachment 73372 View attachment 73373
Ok I give up!! I am dumping my perfectly good battery and getting a sealed one. I know, goaterguy laid into me already. Folks, if dirty, hit it with the water hose. Any itty bitty pieces remaining will NOT hurt your battery. Fill the sucker with destilled water, replace caps, wash again with water hose if anything spilled. Done! I have multiple farm tractors, mowers, gators, electric golf car, etc, and for whatever the reason, they do not come with sealed batteries. The Golf car has 6 batteries, I buy Trojan brand, as in condoms, as they are the best ones out there, and I check maybe twice a year. Needs water, add water, wash and keep going. I am purchasing a new tractor shortly, will not sleep until I know if it has a sealed battery!! I use a small funnel and the gallon jug of distilled water from the grocery store, yes nothing fancy, fill the cells. I typically overfill, so no biggie. When done, close the caps, wash with water hose, go have a cocktail. been doing this for 30+ years, and I promise, the equipment is just fine, the battery acid has not eaten up my hands, or destroyed the equipment. If you have a 4 year battery and you keep the water level remotely normal, it will last 4 years. let it run dry, then go buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
What do you mean do I have to fill up each chamber with water? All six?
Yes, they are six individual cells. They do not share the electrolyte with each other. Fill them individually.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Finally performed this maintenance today after Mrs. Chainringtattoo brought home some distilled water from the grocery store. I told her to give me an eye dropper to fill the cells. Ha! Each cell was a cup low on water. I ended up using a 1/2 gallon of distilled water to fill all the cells.

Recently I was having trouble with the battery light flashing on and off quickly (along with the oil and gas cap light). I suspected the Tork tune I was running so for the meantime have flashed back to stock to test it. Now I'm wondering if the extremely low electrolyte level in my battery might have been the culprit? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Finally performed this maintenance today after Mrs. Chainringtattoo brought home some distilled water from the grocery store. I told her to give me an eye dropper to fill the cells. Ha! Each cell was a cup low on water. I ended up using a 1/2 gallon of distilled water to fill all the cells.

Recently I was having trouble with the battery light flashing on and off quickly (along with the oil and gas cap light). I suspected the Tork tune I was running so for the meantime have flashed back to stock to test it. Now I'm wondering if the extremely low electrolyte level in my battery might have been the culprit? :unsure:
Half gallon? I'd guess that to be most of the liquid capacity of the battery, and I can't see how it would operate. If it were mine I'd get a new battery.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Interesting thread. I guess I’m just showing my age. I thought everyone had one of these in the garage.

D1B4BF55-798C-40E9-8FD6-939C973BFCCD.jpeg

I guess not.

Dan

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes you are old:) but back when I had one of those I also had a FM converter, tune the radio to 1400 and magical have FM.o_O(y)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Half gallon? I'd guess that to be most of the liquid capacity of the battery, and I can't see how it would operate. If it were mine I'd get a new battery.

Steve.
Time will tell. Right now battery appears strong and charges normally. Hopefully it doesn't leave me stranded.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am an idiot, every little thing turns into a nightmare. Last night I filled them all up and proceeded to lose a plug in the engine bay. I had to remove the entire bottom cover to get it back. Only I can turn a simple task like filling these fkn water thingy dingies into a 2 hour odyssey!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I am an idiot, every little thing turns into a nightmare. Last night I filled them all up and proceeded to lose a plug in the engine bay. I had to remove the entire bottom cover to get it back. Only I can turn a simple task like filling these fkn water thingy dingies into a 2 hour odyssey!

Nahh!! We have all been there, lol

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Interesting thread. I guess I’m just showing my age. I thought everyone had one of these in the garage.

View attachment 73445

I guess not.

Dan

This weill make you feel old. The young ones here would never guess what it was but for the label on it

41 - 60 of 74 Posts