Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I checked my battery today. Bought the car in April - 2019 model. Cells took about 2 ounces each (12 ounces total) to reach the fill mark. I thought that was a lot for six months, but I didn't check it when I bought the car so it may have been down some then too. Will certainly make a note to check in 3 months.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've been following this thread for a while with great interest and amusement. To some of the posters who can't believe that cars still come with batteries requiring maintenance, let me add that my 2018 KIA, 2016 Mazda,previous 2016 KIA all had maintenance required batteries, as do the majority of Asian cars. And guess what? Maintenance free batteries are not maintenance free. The covers come off if you know how!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I've been following this thread for a while with great interest and amusement. To some of the posters who can't believe that cars still come with batteries requiring maintenance, let me add that my 2018 KIA, 2016 Mazda,previous 2016 KIA all had maintenance required batteries, as do the majority of Asian cars. And guess what? Maintenance free batteries are not maintenance free. The covers come off if you know how!!
True, you don't really have to maintain them, they'll just die quicker.

·
Administrator
1,950 Posts
I'm quite impressed with the level of technical knowledge shared in this thread!

I set up a couple fo 100W solar panels on my shed earlier this year, not wanting to run 100ft of underground cable underneath a sidewalk, around a garden, and into the garage. Topping off the FLA battery is just a fact of life for me. I do need to check the 124 Spider's battery as I haven't done that yet.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Wee, I guess I had to check the battery's water level. It is the second time I have done so in almost two years of ownership. it needed just a little bit, and horror, I overfilled one cell, so my scientific clean up procedure consists of replacing the caps and dousing the battery with a water hose!!

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
A turkey baster can sometimes be your best friend! Keep any eye on the overfilled cell, it may overflow out of the cap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this info! I haven't checked a battery water level since I sold my '74 MG midget thirty years ago! Thank goodness the 124 doesn't go through oil like that old MG did! I just kept a case of Castrol in the trunk at all times lol

·
Registered
407 Posts
The battery in my 2017 Lusso was replaced by FCA under warranty before I bought the car with 5,000 miles on it. I decided to have a look at the water level today, and I don't think the replacement battery is designed to have its water levels checked. There's a sticker on the battery that says "1/19" so I'm guessing it was made in January 2019. Have a look a a photo of it and let me know what you all think. P.S. One cool thing: it has a built-in flip-up handle (at left in this pic).

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
The battery in my 2017 Lusso was replaced by FCA under warranty before I bought the car with 5,000 miles on it. I decided to have a look at the water level today, and I don't think the replacement battery is designed to have its water levels checked. There's a sticker on the battery that says "1/19" so I'm guessing it was made in January 2019. Have a look a a photo of it and let me know what you all think. P.S. One cool thing: it has a built-in flip-up handle (at left in this pic).
That battery has a little less power than the OEM one but it should be fine. (photo from another thread here How to Install EUROCOMPULSION Intercooler Kit)
I checked pictures of brand new 2020 124s and they still have the same battery below.

·
Registered
26 Posts
At three years after production, I checked my battery water level and it was down a bit. Filled it back up to the level line with distilled water to keep it safe.
Double checked my battery because of your post, my Battery is sealed,2017 Abarth, Michigan

·
Administrator
1,950 Posts
Double checked my battery because of your post, my Battery is sealed,2017 Abarth, Michigan
You don't have 6 round caps on top of your battery?

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,950 Posts
Keep in mind folks, if you can't check the level, it doesn't mean the battery is sealed; it just means it's "maintenance free." It means if the water gets low, you get to buy a new battery instead of topping it off. It's really just a ploy for battery makers to sell more batteries.

I switched to AGM batteries in my other two vehicles, but any time I do have to buy a flooded lead acid battery, I always make sure it can be serviced.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
This thread prompted me to check my battery (on my 2016 Spider) and every cell was low right enough! Had a dig around my garage and found an ancient bottlle of Unipart de-ionised water. The car has been in storage all winter. It was starting fine today, but have left the battery on a trickle charge over night for good measure.
opefully it will be okay!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 124 Spider does not have a maintenance free battery. So...you need to check the water level of the battery. Add distilled water as needed.
I have a 2017 Fiat Spider Abarth. Checked my battery level today, and all the cells were very low. Can't thank you enough for this reminder. Sure beats the cost of a new battery. Thank you!

61 - 80 of 80 Posts