Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
Normally I would be the same way. But with the tire and skirt off, I had it done in less than an hour from start to finish. And trust me, I'm as far from a mechanic as possible. Up next, the diverter valve.....

Registered
2019 Clasica
Discussion Starter #22
Just wanted to say thanks for the install video. Taking off the tire and well skirt makes all the difference in the world when it comes to connecting PREX1! My "fat meat hooks" thank you! 馃ぃ
Glad it was helpful!

Giving up on the PREX1 install and paying $100 for a local auto place to install everything and neatly zip-tie wires and mount the ChipBox was the best money I've spent. Trying to do it myself caused me to fly into a rage that can't be measured in terms of money.
:ROFLMAO:

Registered
Giving up on the PREX1 install and paying $100 for a local auto place to install everything and neatly zip-tie wires and mount the ChipBox was the best money I've spent. Trying to do it myself caused me to fly into a rage that can't be measured in terms of money.
Sometimes it's just better/easier to "pay the man" and have it done and over with. For $100, it's not worth the aggravation!! That's how I feel about painting my house!!

Registered
2020 Fiat Spider 124 Urbana AT
Great review, for sure!

Is there any reason to spend more for the Chipbox Connect, the Bluetooth version? Or is this more a set-and-forget thing?

Registered
2017 Lusso
Great review! Question though, as I learn about cars and power (a world I hadn't considered before) -

I told my wife last night that I don't necessarily want to go faster (history of speeding tickets) , I just want to get to fast....faster. Sounds like the ChipBox is an option for this?

I have a 2107 Automatic Lusso (14k miles), without any other mods.

Thanks for your insights!

Great review, for sure!

Is there any reason to spend more for the Chipbox Connect, the Bluetooth version? Or is this more a set-and-forget thing?
The bluetooth version is great for connecting with the app and you can turn it on or off or adjust settings on the fly easily enough. Personally, if you don't plan to mess with it once installed, the non-bluetooth version is great and you can save some $$.

Registered
The bluetooth version is great for connecting with the app and you can turn it on or off or adjust settings on the fly easily enough. Personally, if you don't plan to mess with it once installed, the non-bluetooth version is great and you can save some $$.
Thanks!

That "if" is the big question ... I'm not sure how people find they like to use the Chipbox. But probably I'm not the sort to tinker with it very much after it's in anyway. I'm planning to pair this with a throttle booster as well, so maybe if I get that in the Bluetooth version, and the standard Chipbox, that will be all the tinker-ability I need.

"Getting to fast faster" -- I think that's me too! :LOL:

Registered
2019 Clasica
Discussion Starter #28
Great review! Question though, as I learn about cars and power (a world I hadn't considered before) -

I told my wife last night that I don't necessarily want to go faster (history of speeding tickets) , I just want to get to fast....faster. Sounds like the ChipBox is an option for this?
It'll definitely get you to the speed limit faster. It's up to you how much over you want to go :D

Registered
2019 Clasica
Discussion Starter #29
Mostly set it and forget it, but one reason I can think of for wanting to change the settings is if you travel somewhere that has lower octane gas. When I was in NM all I could find was 89 octane... I put the bypass plug in to disable the Chipbox as a precaution. If I had the bluetooth one I could have just turned it down with the app.

Registered
2017 Lusso
It'll definitely get you to the speed limit faster. It's up to you how much over you want to go :D
I was reading the description on the AutoRicambi site, and it mentioned the diverted for "inspections ". Are they referring to the annual state emissions inspection? And if so, what about this makes it not pass?

Thanks!

Registered
2019 Clasica
Discussion Starter #31
I dunno... I think some states prohibit devices like it, but it's not a problem in Texas.

The bypass plug is definitely useful if your car is having an issue. Eliminates the ChipBox during troubleshooting...

Registered
Mostly set it and forget it, but one reason I can think of for wanting to change the settings is if you travel somewhere that has lower octane gas. When I was in NM all I could find was 89 octane... I put the bypass plug in to disable the Chipbox as a precaution. If I had the bluetooth one I could have just turned it down with the app.
Is there no manual adjustability, then?

I was reading the description on the AutoRicambi site, and it mentioned the diverted for "inspections ". Are they referring to the annual state emissions inspection? And if so, what about this makes it not pass?

Thanks!
The unit can be bypassed for dealership visits and troubleshooting if needed. Sometimes it is good to rule one thing out by easily removing it when doing service and troubleshooting. As far as I know, there should not be any government inspections that would have an issue with this device as it is emissions legal in all 50.

Registered
2017 Lusso
The unit can be bypassed for dealership visits and troubleshooting if needed. Sometimes it is good to rule one thing out by easily removing it when doing service and troubleshooting. As far as I know, there should not be any government inspections that would have an issue with this device as it is emissions legal in all 50.
Thanks Brett67, I so appreciate everyone's insights and knowledge. I am learning so much on this forum!

Registered
2017 Lusso
So, when I look at the data, am I understanding correctly that a ChipBox provides the most "boost" after the car is going 40mph? I ask, because I am looking for something that would fill that gap between initial acceleration and when the turbo kicks in.

I said in a different thread (or earlier in this one) that my main goal isn't really go go faster, just to get to fast.....faster. 馃槑

Registered
So, when I look at the data, am I understanding correctly that a ChipBox provides the most "boost" after the car is going 40mph? I ask, because I am looking for something that would fill that gap between initial acceleration and when the turbo kicks in.

I said in a different thread (or earlier in this one) that my main goal isn't really go go faster, just to get to fast.....faster. 馃槑
There's a dyno graph here: https://www.teamdi.com/product/seletron-chipbox/ (It's for the UK version, but I presume the effect is similar for US engines.) If I'm reading it correctly, it shows that the engine produces peak torque at the same RPMs with or without the Chipbox. However, the entire curve is higher with the Chipbox, so more torque should start coming on right away. Or think of it this way: the peak torque you're getting from your engine without the Chipbox would come several hundred RPMs sooner with the Chipbox (and the torque would keep climbing after that). (Will your car perform just like that dyno? No. But the dyno can help you visualize how these devices affect torque delivery.) I would also think that quickening throttle response -- with the Pedal Booster, say -- would get the engine to higher revs in less time, and therefore to its peak torque in less time. Torque is the thing that pushes you back in your seat, so the sooner the better!

I'm new here too so if I'm giving misinformation, I hope someone will correct me!

One other thing. I recently upgraded the exhaust to a higher flow system (cat-back), and it feels to me -- very subjectively, very unscientifically -- that it does deliver on its promise of more torque at the same RPMs (lifting the curve). I know that tuning, even piggyback tuning, will give more power per dollar than exhaust can, but it made sense to me to make it easier for the engine to work before telling the engine to work harder.

I have a Chipbox that I plan to get dyno data on as soon as I find a willing test subject locally. I want to directly compare my Tork Tuned Spider to a Chipbox Spider. My theory is that the Chipbox is 80% of the improvement at half the cost (almost).

Reactions: AnneNC

Registered
2017 Lusso
I have a Chipbox that I plan to get dyno data on as soon as I find a willing test subject locally. I want to directly compare my Tork Tuned Spider to a Chipbox Spider. My theory is that the Chipbox is 80% of the improvement at half the cost (almost).
Could you tell me the difference between a ChipBox and something like installing the GoodWin High Flow midpipe and dual exhaust (or any other similar brand)? Do they work independently, is it worth it to install both? Or does one usually install one or the other?

I am not going to do any track racing or anything. My 2017 Lusso is a daily driver. I am intrigued by getting up to speed faster, and to some degree having that loud roadster rumble.

Thanks for your insights!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts