Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many other have chipboxed their Spiders. I finally got mine installed this morning and all I can say is WOW! In sport mode the Abarth is a beast. So much better than stock. Can't imagine what a complete flash tune is like. The install took about 1 hour and I was using the lift at my buddies repair shop. Thank you to Driving Impressions tech support for quickly answering the phone and giving guidance. With the guidance from Team DI getting at PREX1 was very doable from under the car. I would recommend that approach where it is possible. Now the car is parked back in my very small garage, most likely until spring. I will next install the Pedal Booster come springtime. Living in the NE USA can be a drag at times but at least my local skiing resort opens this weekend. Yea!

·
738 Posts
Auto Ricambi has sold quite a few of these Chipboxes and 100% of the customers are pleased with the result. I look at it as 95% of the power gains with 0% of the hassle of a flash tune.

For most people, this really is the smart way to go. If you plan to continue mods of course, the flash tune is better for results.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not very well versed in these things so sorry for the newbie question. What does adding this do to the gas mileage? It must have a negative impact, but how much?

·
738 Posts
I'm not very well versed in these things so sorry for the newbie question. What does adding this do to the gas mileage? It must have a negative impact, but how much?
This is a fair question for sure. Like most performance mods, if you drive reasonably, the mileage will be comparable to stock. Of course, most people who mod their car don't drive reasonably :)

One of the great benefits of the Chipbox is that it features a bypass plug. If you wanted better economy and didn't have the restraint, you could bypass the box and drive it stock if you wanted.

·
738 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing that bypass is something that needs to be selected before getting behind the wheel.
The plug must be enabled prior to driving the car and you must stop to reactivate the Chipbox. It is an underhood by-pass plug. It only takes a minute to do, very easy.

·
738 Posts
Another cool benefit of the Chipbox, It comes preset in a middle tune setting. You can turn it up if you want and get a little more power. I plan to get one of these on a dyno soon as I get time to share results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts