Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Russo, manual Abarth last week and love it. I bought at night and I did my best to inspect the entire vehicle. Signed all the paperwork and when goi g home started to rain. I was a little disappointed the next day to find there are some white specks on the red paint and don't know if it is defect or road debris from test drives.

In any case, I want to clay the car and apply wax. Is it to early to do that? Also how does it work with xpel film if I wax the front bumper?

·
Registered
232 Posts
This is what I use , and have been very happy..

Also what's the best wax to use ? I've used Griot one step sealant in the past but always open to suggestions on this new car.
Just got my Russo, manual Abarth last week and love it. I bought at night and I did my best to inspect the entire vehicle. Signed all the paperwork and when goi g home started to rain. I was a little disappointed the next day to find there are some white specks on the red paint and don't know if it is defect or road debris from test drives.

In any case, I want to clay the car and apply wax. Is it to early to do that? Also how does it work with xpel film if I wax the front bumper?
With the results, even won some car shows with my 2015 Mustang Gt , while other guys using very expensive stuff.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-Ultimate-Wash-and-Wax/16550244

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-Smooth-Surface-Clay-Kit/16386193

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-Ultimate-Paste-Wax/19794452
No it is not too early to clay bar it. Just don't go Gorilla on it..

Enjoy you new car...Not Sure;);)

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
I hope there isn't bloodshed over your question Richard! This is a subject almost as dangerous as motor oil. :)
Luckily there are many good choices and IMO the cost doesn't have to be extreme. I've found the biggest challenge to be deciding which finishing products to use.
I think the user support may be the biggest difference and the best suppliers have extensive video instruction for their product line.
best regards,
Pete

·
Registered
669 Posts
I use Chemical Guys and am VERY happy with the product. Here are my steps that turned out a swirl free deep luster that nothing sticks to

1. Clean with a soap that strips all wax etc. bare paint is the goal
2. Clay
3. Two stage polish. I used CG 36 and 38. Yes you need a random polisher for this but WOW, no swirls left and perfectly smooth. I bought their cheaper Torq model, there is no way to get the finished I got by hand.
4. Buff in a glaze (pick the best glaze for your color)
5. Finalally I used Jet Seal, also buffed in.

Now I use a quick detailed spray V07 after washing with a soap canon using Honey Dew soap. Good as day one after every wash. With the red paint or black the less you touch it the better, the soap canon really helps with that.

Different pads types/colors for each step. They tell you what to use. Yes, up front it was an investment but for me seeing the results I can't recommend any higher. Plus the car is small, you could easily do the car 6 times. And obviously the buffer will last years and years.

These steps on red would be amazing

My 2 cents

Every time my daughter gets in the car she feels the paint and comments how smooth it is.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Asking what the best wax is, is equivalent to asking for a war. :|

But yes, you would apply Xpel to a stripped down car, and then you can top Xpel with a ceramic coating or wax of your choice afterwards for a deep wet type of look.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Corvette guys swear by Zaino. I've used it on my 2007 Corvette since it was new. Good stuff. Smells like bubble gum going on.

Overall, I have been happy with the Mequiars family of waxes. I have used Griots and Mothers as well and they both seem good. I have heard good things about the Chemical Guys stuff.

The only wax I had issues with was Sonex. Their family of waxes left a white residue I had to deal with using the old corn starch method of removal on a black Mercedes I had a few years back.

I have a friend who swears by Liquid Glass, but I have never used it although the custom Corvette on can is pretty sweet!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I generally like to go with the old school approach to wax with pretty much any selection of carnauba wax... turtle, kit, maguiars. all are pretty much the same to me. my cars live outside and I wash and wax frequently...

·
Registered
220 Posts
I decided to try some Meguiar's paste cleaner/wax this time, on top of the Turtle paste I put on a couple weeks ago. After hand buffing, I could see more shine and depth, however, in the bright sun, I could see lots of "crud" in the paint, plus some imperfections and over-spray. I decided to opt for a clay bar kit from "Walbarn" because I've been reading lots about about "claying" on these posts, and came home and soaped up the car with dish detergent to try to get some of the wax off. I left the car sudsy and got out the clay bar and went over one section at a time, hosed them off, and dried with a micro cloth. Then, I re-applied the wax. WOW! What a difference! There's a lot more depth in the shine and it looks fab-u-lous! The only downside is now I'm considering doing the same thing to my other car because "Fifi" looks so classy! (The Turtle wax went in the trash).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bella just got fitted for her see thru bra!

The reflections really pop out after clay barring/waxing. I clay bar'd and waxed last week (no wax where Xpel was put on and I mentioned that to the shop) and here's a couple of pic's from last Thursday morning picking up Bella. They installed the see thru bra and ceramic tinted the windows (important down South).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I have waxed my SCATOLETTA last spring with Meguiar's ULTIMATE paste wax. Little pricy, but worth every penny and after 5 months of driving and washing, still looks great. Next Spring another application.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Dishwashing liquid .......... I am serious

HTH
Thanks, will try it on my 2015 Ram truck. The Fiata will be new so a quick wash and on to this new fanged invention, to me anyway, called Clay Bar

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wax the Spider every week. Lately, I've been using a blend of 2/3 Meguiar's Gold Class with 1/3 Meguiar's Ultimate. The pure Ultimate gives strikingly good shine but I thought it lacked luster or whatever that certain something is that real wax gives.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts