Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my new 124 Spider Lusso, on Tuesday and finally the weather broke to where I could wash it. When i ran my fingers over the hood, by the front windshield, I felt a definite "sandpaper" feel that was very up setting to me. It is a Pearlescent White.
So what to do. I got out my McGuire's clay bar kit, and sprayed the McGuire's Detailer on it and began to run the clay bar over the area. To my surprise, I looked at the clay bar and it was turning the color YELLOW. I felt the hood where i had just Clayed, and it was fixed and very smooth to the touch.

So I decided to check other area of the car, and found the following areas.
Hood, about 12 inches from the windshield.
Trunk, about 4 inches from back window.
Tops of both doors, from Mirrors to Window all the way to back quarter panel.

So needless to say, I just when ahead and Clay Bared my whole car. I kept turning the clay, as it was getting yellower and yellower.
Does anyone know what the Stuff was that was on my Car. Thank God I got it off. Cyberbill

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would guess iron or something similar. Generally going over a new car with a clay bar is the best thing you can do, since they tend to get coating with iron and other contaminants from the factory.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It's also important to clay bar if you are getting a wrap, as surface imperfections can show through the vinyl as bumps.

Reactions: sdlynx and jleo

·
Registered
121 Posts
Could be any number of things. Not to mention, these took a journey on a cargo ship, so the yellow-orange film picked up by the clay is probably just residual from the ocean salt mixing with the environment on the ship.

Clay is a car's best friend. Wax is formulated to be applied on paint, not the contaminants. So, waxing w/o first claying the car is a half-effort IMO.

If you daily drive it, once every three months should keep things controllable. Just don't go stingy with the lubricant/detail spray, and you're all set.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I clay bar at last twice a year. It makes a difference. But it's definitely worth doing on a brand new car too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have never used clay. Is there a best brand? How much do you need? What are the do's and don'ts?

·
Registered
476 Posts
absolutely do clay it. i was at the dealership when my car arrived. i asked them to not detail it before delivery, i personally even pulled all the plastic film off of it. so it couldn't have been much newer but i clayed it and was shocked how much i got off of it. even the plastic film left a residue behind.

one do, ALWAYS keep the clay wet. most of them tell you to use a detailer's spray to spritz the car while working. one don't, NEVER use a clay bar that dropped on the ground, toss it and grab another, so not worth the risk of putting a scratch on the car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have never used clay. Is there a best brand? How much do you need? What are the do's and don'ts?
Clay Magic was the first I knew of. Now you will find it sold by most auto finish merchants like Simonize, Mother's, Meguiar's. 3M makes it too, but you pay 3M prices. The detailing spray is a light surfactant that lubricates and helps in suspending contaminants picked from the paint surface by the clay bar. Try to do your work in open shade and use a soft cotton or microfiber cloth to buff out the residual film. Yeah, don't use a dropped clay bar. And get some wax (I recommend Collinite Fleet Wax) on the finish right away to preserve your work.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Definitely iron or a film of some sort of overspray perhaps? Not entirely sure but the main thing is that it came out with the clay. I hope you put a sealer back on there after though!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah, factory, ocean shipping, inland shipping, outside on a dealer lot....on new paint. It needs a good clay job! (bar or mitt, or whatever)

Personally I am doing this: Chemical Guys Products

1. Fine clay mitt with clay lubber (don't use soapy water)
2. Two stage Polish (fine and extra fine) to remove any swirls etc.
3. Glossworkz Glaze
4. Jet Seal Sealant

Then add my clear bra, heritage strips etc. (no wax under vinyl)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, I polished with McGuairs #7 the came back with Mc Guiars Ultimate paste wax. It looks great.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My pre-delivery detail includes claying the car, but I've asked for no other work to be done as most of the pre-delivery detailers don't really know what they're doing. Not sure what it's like in the north end of the world

·
Registered
233 Posts
Clay barred Little Spidee after it's first thorough hand wash, by me. Lot's of crude picked-up by the clay, turned the clay dark and dirty. Not surprising, even for a new car, considering what it's gone through in manufacturing, shipping, delivery, etc. It wasn't exactly in a pristine environment for it's first several months. ;)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Claying makes a huge difference, and makes applying and removing wax and sealant so much easier. Seems to be a theme going on, I pulled a lot off of my hood and truck as well. I always clay the entire car and windows.

I tried something new though, the clay mit from Chemical Guys. I think it worked just as well and was soooo much easier and faster. Used their clay lube as well. Really nice to be able to just rinse it off if it got dirty or dropped. And the ability to reuse. Doing full paint correction is a chore, anything to make it easier gets a thumbs up from me!!

Just make sure you use a stripping soap first to remove all waxes and such.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anyone in the Connecticut area recommend a detailing place that does this?

·
Registered
575 Posts
There's really nothing bad about claying utilizing you're car wash soap. Once you're using a good car soap and have sufficient suds and lubricant within it, you'll be perfectly fine and saving a ton of money. I find using "clay lubricant" is just a marketing scheme and pointless

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, factory, ocean shipping, inland shipping, outside on a dealer lot....on new paint. It needs a good clay job! (bar or mitt, or whatever)

Personally I am doing this: Chemical Guys Products

1. Fine clay mitt with clay lubber (don't use soapy water)
2. Two stage Polish (fine and extra fine) to remove any swirls etc.
3. Glossworkz Glaze
4. Jet Seal Sealant

Then add my clear bra, heritage strips etc. (no wax under vinyl)
I agree - very important step in any new vehicle. I clay bar'd my 2018 this past weekend. Bella is getting fitted for her see thru bra and tinted windows today. Pictures to follow this weekend.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts