Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for a good glass cleaner? I used the Rain-X spray at the weekend, but its just left a streaky mess in direct sunlight.

Cheers,
Wooley.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I had the same issue. Weird, but I find the windshield hard to get streak free.

I used straight alcohol and paper towels. That seemed to work better than anything else I tried

·
Registered
143 Posts
Same issue - cannot seem to get my windows streak free. Having the problem inside and out. Have tried alcohol on outside, as well as Windex inside and out.

I had some overspray from 303 when treating the top and vinegar worked best to remove that. initially thought my streaks were from the overspray, but i have them inside and in areas where I didn't get overspray.

I was planning on trying RainX once I get them fully clean.

I've been using either paper tissues or micro cloth to clean them. Wonder if I should try newspaper next.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Same, inside and out. Really strange.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Griot's Garage makes a glass cleaner that is citrus based that is by far the best glass cleaner I have ever used. I get it at Autozone. There are Acetone based glass cleaners that I have bought at grocery stores that work really well, but you need to be very careful that you dont get it on the top, paint, or plastics. A clay bar may also work.

I am a big fan of Rain X, but I don't like the spray because I have had similar problems in the past. I use the liquid and I use the Rain X windshield washer fluid.

Reactions: 68wooley

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I have no real problem with RainX. If it won't get streak-free, once you have buffed it as best you can, try a spray of plain water - a fine mist - and paper towels. Also, applying RainX on a hot windshield makes it a bit more difficult to get a good coating (the solvents evaporate too quickly leaving a streaky deposit); not impossible to clean, but harder.

Reactions: 68wooley

·
Registered
668 Posts
Rolled up newspaper...no streaks inside and out...:laugh:
I've always had excellent results using about 25% vinegar + 75% hot water and cleaning the windows with old newspapers. Finish the work with towels. Cheap and very effective!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I generally just use a light spray of water and polish out the glass with a microfiber cloth. as a smoker, I do this often. also I carry a microfiber cloth behind the driver's seat and wipe the inside of the windshield when it gets foggy (here in N.O., the humidity at night often fogs the windshield). I use this as an opportunity to wipe it down when the need arises.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've tried every trick in the book. NOTHING WORKS. I gave up on having an attachment to such a high standard, lol.

Reactions: TPG90004 and Mike34

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
and the vinegars have it...

I've have always excellent result using about 25% vinegar + 75% hot water and cleaning the windows with old newspapers. Finish the work with towels. Cheap and very effective!
Second this...white vinegar works well on glass for streaks.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I've tried every trick in the book. NOTHING WORKS. I gave up on having an attachment to such a high standard, lol.
Have you tried soapy water? Or a detergent. It sounds like you might have an oily deposit that regular glass cleaners can't get off. Or, conversely, what car wash are you using on the outside? If it has wax in it, perhaps this is what the deposit is, and the window cleaner can't remove it.

Reactions: Not Sure and Mike34

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thinking back, I recall my mother cleaning windows with water/vinegar mixture and a chamois. My mother is somewhat renowned for cleaning obsessiveness - you could perform surgery on her countertops - not sure why I didn't just call for her advice. Mom always knows best :D

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
@68wooley..watch out man...its a trap...momma is gonna ask you to come over and BAM!!! "eat this you're too skinny!!! I gotta fatten you up". Then you won't care about the streaks in the glass!!!

btw my Mom lives in Grand Junction. She just went home after a month of fattening me UP!!!

Reactions: 68wooley and jpwfz6

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Boy, did I have bad luck with Rain-X spray. Okay, it was a bottle that I'd bought several years ago, so maybe its age had something to do with it. I washed the car, then found that bottle of RainX and went to work on the windshield, inside and out. Ugh. The windshield, when the sun shined on it, looked like it was covered with plastic food wrap. I re-cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned. My go-to for years, Sprayway glass cleaner, wouldn't touch it. I then mixed a couple drops of dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle of warm water, that helped a bit. Grabbed a bottle of 409 spray cleaner, that helped a little more. (By now, I'm probably just wearing through the Rain-X.) Finally pulled out the big guns. I put on some nitrile rubber gloves, grabbed the gallon bottle of blue windshield washer fluid (which was labeled as containing methanol) and a fresh roll of paper towels, and went to town. The RainX was still working, the blue juice beaded and ran, but after 2-3 cycles with the blue stuff, the windshield pretty much came back to normal. That Rain-X is now awaiting delivery to the household hazmat drop-off site, I never want to see that stuff again.

I went out for a few hours of sunny sky driving today and didn't see any streaking/cloudiness on the glass.

Steve.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Boy, did I have bad luck with Rain-X spray. Okay, it was a bottle that I'd bought several years ago, so maybe its age had something to do with it. I washed the car, then found that bottle of RainX and went to work on the windshield, inside and out. Ugh. The windshield, when the sun shined on it, looked like it was covered with plastic food wrap. I re-cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned. My go-to for years, Sprayway glass cleaner, wouldn't touch it. I then mixed a couple drops of dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle of warm water, that helped a bit. Grabbed a bottle of 409 spray cleaner, that helped a little more. (By now, I'm probably just wearing through the Rain-X.) Finally pulled out the big guns. I put on some nitrile rubber gloves, grabbed the gallon bottle of blue windshield washer fluid (which was labeled as containing methanol) and a fresh roll of paper towels, and went to town. The RainX was still working, the blue juice beaded and ran, but after 2-3 cycles with the blue stuff, the windshield pretty much came back to normal. That Rain-X is now awaiting delivery to the household hazmat drop-off site, I never want to see that stuff again.

I went out for a few hours of sunny sky driving today and didn't see any streaking/cloudiness on the glass.

Steve.
WOW!!! you deserve a cold one...cheers!!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have been using rain-x since I found it in the army's inventory. we used to use it on the windshields of helicopters and it has always worked great. when applying it on windshields, I have found it works best when applied sparingly and wiped on. if you allow it some dry time and get a clean microfiber towel and buff it out like you would with car wax. if when driving at night it appears to be streaked, just buff it some more when you get a chance. personally I would advise against using it on the inside of the glass, it is just too difficult to buff the residue off. for cleaning the inside of the glass water and a microfiber towel does great, but once again, it requires a buffing with a clean towel to finish it. living in a high humidity area and working as a policeman at night, I used to constantly need to clean windshields regularly in order to actually see out of them with the clarity required to catch bad guys doing bad things...... just my $ 0.02

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use Invisible Glass
I second this. If the label says "Flammable, keep away from flame" you know it's alcohol based and will dry/ evaporate streak free.

As for the Rain X issues. I just follow the label. Spray onto a cloth, wipe onto window is small circles. After 2-5 minutes the window will fog up, buff out. I have never used Rain X on the inside of my windows though, not sure I ever would.

Reactions: sdlynx

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hose.
Fairly dilute soapy water (same as for the rest of the car).
Hose it off.
Voilà. 5 mins.

Chuck the expensive proprietary products in the bin...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts