Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lusso Premium with about 1300 miles. Manual gearbox. In the last couple hundred miles, I have begun to notice a series of clicks and snaps as I release the clutch and move away from a stop. I thought it was directly related to clutch linkage or plate movement, but I occasionally hear it with changes in throttle position. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the car.

I will certainly bring it up when I take the car in for its first service, but we owners here on this forum probably have much more experience with these cars than most of the Fiat service departments at this point.

I have eliminated clutch linkage; now thinking it could be front suspension, or a motor or transmission mount. Has anyone else with a manual transmission experienced these clicks and snaps? Any observations or ideas would be welcomed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've heard these too but it only does it when the air con is switched on!

I'm guessing that it's something to do with the compressor switching in and out. It's usually random but sometimes happens when you take up the drive with the clutch. This may be something to do with it switching out when the car is idling and back in as you increase the revs to move off. Or vice versa...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim, thanks for the idea. I'll try it with the A/C off and see if that's what's making the noises.

BTW, I clicked your Alfaholics link - beautiful work! I owned a '73 GTV 2000 for a decade - never restored it, but loved it nonetheless. Wish I still had it! Before the Alfas (also had a very rusty '66 boat-tail 1600 Duetto), it was the '69 124 Spider that got me addicted to Italian aluminum!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just noticed the AC clicking loudly today when I had the hood up. Only on "auto" fan setting. Doesn't make a noise on other settings. Nor on heat settings. No lights or problem with AC air temperature. Thoughts?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thats crazy... just today I was backing out of my garage, and noticed a few snaps or click coming from my car... backing out slowly, coming from what appears front and back, happens as I turn the wheels right but not left, one would think it sounds like a cv joint click, but only once or twice and then nothing... does not do it when I enter straight on... I was thinking maybe engine mounts or that I had mounted my tires incorrectly... I re torqued everything and it still does it.

Hive Fiat mind, any ideas?

·
Registered
2017 Nero Cinema Abarth M/T
104 Posts
I've noticed it too. First couple times I thought I had a nail in my front left tire and it was clicking on the asphalt. It doesn't do it consistently and I can NEVER replicate it. It happens only when I'm at a stop. Mines a manual too and I have about 13,000 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, any ideas of causes for this issue? I have the same here, 23 000k (14000 miles).

Clutch engage/ mostly just after quick up or downshifting/ and almost everytime when move from
at first i was thinking of some small gravels but definitly not

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Can be normal driveline noise. BUT some cars were shipped without proper torque of the ppf bolts (one of the longitudinal frames under the car) which can cause clicks on sudden movement.

Worth checking the service note..need a hefty torque wrench to get them.l up to spec

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks I have found a mazda service note, nothing from fiat
i have check these bolts but with a normal wrench... i have to find someone with proper material to be sure

·
Registered
5 Posts
So i spend a few hours with some mecanics, PPF bolt are ok, but almost every other bolts on the car were loose...
Just one click is still there but 90% gone now ! worth checking

1 - 11 of 11 Posts