Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally starting down the path of making the Classica my perfect roadster...

2017 Fiat 124 Spider Classica "Bronzo Magnetico" by Jeff Conlin, on Flickr

Previously mentioned the Platypus towhook-mount plate frame holder with extension piece... I really like the positioning of it (reminds me of older Alfas). I may eventually use that area to fabricate a driving light mount, and just put the plate front and center as intended, but that's going to be a while. Also seen here are the Cobalt hood struts. Simple install, smooth lift action, and makes it a little easier to get around in the engine bay. Nice simple addition.

2017 Fiat 124 Spider Classica interior by Jeff Conlin, on Flickr

2017 Fiat 124 Spider Classica interior by Jeff Conlin, on Flickr

Wanted a slightly more classic feel to go along with the Classica, many thanks to the forum members who brought up Coco Mats - didn't realize they were still in production... by the same family, even! Also picked up the mahogany shift knob from Arrive Japan (through Rev9). A little spendier than I wanted, but I didn't see any other good options out there, and I'm very much not a woodworker. The knob is significantly lighter than the surprisingly dense stock knob, which makes for more direct and crisp shifts, and I like the ergos better than the OEM's more squared-off shape.

It's a good start... though already I'm wondering if it would look a little better getting a darker, slightly more red trim on the mats to better match the shifter, or if that's a little OCD.

Next stop, suspension and exhaust...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Those two subtle modifications (floor mats and shift knob) make a significant difference in the overall appearance of the interior. You have one seriously classy looking 124 my friend! If you could find a darker mat to match the shift knob it would look a lot better, but I may be in the same region as picky as you are ;)

Now I'm picturing some of the silver trim wrapped or overlayed with the same wood pattern as the shifter... mmm....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Fantastic look!

I'm happy to see someone embracing the "grand touring" aspect of the Classica, adding retro touches here and there.

They don't add speed, but they make the cabin a nicer place to spend time. And that's the whole theme behind the Classica.

Nicely done sir

·
Registered
91 Posts
…ooops, that’s my memory playing tricks with me. The car was a 1991 FOUR LITRE V8S, yep lots of power in a fiberglass body. Had the chassis, transmission and brakes to cope with it though. In those days the steering wheel had just a big horn pushbutton in the middle, no other functions, and no driver airbag, so it was an easy job to remove the factory wheel and add the wood one – I did it myself in under an hour. I owned the car in 2004/2005 and I’m still in touch with the person I sold it to. Another of the “pluspoints” was the car had a proper old fashioned radio / CD player…...happy days.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you decide to go the route of changing your interior trim to wood (versus the silver), I would recommend disassembly and shipping them to a place that does hydrographics (dipping).

The print will wrap around the edges very smoothly, with no exposed seams. Finish is very durable and resistant to fading. Best of all, it will look classy, not tacky (like stick-on kits).

Pic below:

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you decide to go the route of changing your interior trim to wood (versus the silver), I would recommend disassembly and shipping them to a place that does hydrographics (dipping).... Best of all, it will look classy, not tacky (like stick-on kits).

Wow ! I didn't know that was even possible. And there I was thinking I would have to make my door sill covers out of plywood.... but there again I am a Monty Python fan http://www.montypython.net/scripts/fairytale.php

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, a little quick Photoshoppin' confirms, the black/terracotta would definitely "tie the room together." Even with their swatches, it's tough to gauge that until it all shows up. On the flipside, the black/natural would look pretty great in a Lusso with the Saddle interior... happy to make a deal if anyone's interested.

While I was at it... an attempt to gauge the 0.8" drop from the US-spec Eibach spring kit... I'm digging it. Subtle, no "slammed" look, but no longer up on its tiptoes.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
Nice options but I wish my steering wheel had the Red stripe at center - I don't think it could be added.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Nice options but I wish my steering wheel had the Red stripe at center - I don't think it could be added.
An upholstery shop should be able to take the leather off of the existing wheel and add it for you :) stitch it all back together, it would look like it was never removed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unfortunately the light was very dull and flat today, but I finally got the updated Black/Terracotta Coco Mats, and they *really* pop with the Bronzo Magnetico exterior and the mahogany shift knob.

(Shameless plug - if anyone is interested in the Black/Natural mats, which would be a great complement to any car with the Saddle interior, please let me know! Will make a great deal.)

Now that the interior and exterior are done, and more importantly, now that we haven't had any accumulating snow in the last 7 days and temps are finally above 32... time to move on to the suspension and exhaust...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Jeff- actually that (apparently) cloudy sky you had for taking photos worked to your advantage. The diffused/filtered light means no hard brights or shadows, evenly lighting the interior and its dark fabrics. The photos looks great, and really shows off the woodwork nicely. Sweet!

Steve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts