Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 GT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to do a few engine upgrades to my 124GT, and top of the list would be Coilpacks. I've done a bit of research and the Highspark Coipacks seem to be very good....until I enquired about the price - £720 for the premium set! That's a bit more than I'd planned to spend. What is everyone using, as I've seen a massive variety of coilpacks for the Alfa 4C, and don't want to waste money on something that wont improve the spark much, but don't want to spend huge amounts either.
If anyone could recommend a particular brand, or some links to buying in the UK, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Hi Adam.......The 4c Bosch and Madness "Red Top" performance coil packs are the two that attract most attention here mate, I read somewhere that the Madness coil packs were same as Bosch but with the Red Top, so either fits the bill.
I went for Madness ones as I liked the Red Top, the fact that they are the same as Bosch and... Madness had a sale on at the time that reduced my overall costs, let me explain..... UK straight forward Bosch 4c wherever you can get the best deal, Madness + CUSTOMS + Royal Mail charge !!! for handling import (cheek ! ), so....I would suggest, if you fancy either, check out ebay UK and known performance sites then check to see what Madness are offering (if interested), take into account CUSTOMS & Royal Mail approx 20-22 % and £12.00. One of the guys here just painted his yellow tops red on his Lusso (I think).
124 GT...you don't get many of them to the pound lad and yours looks GREAT, I know I already said that in your other thread, but it does ! Cheers. By the way I have the 124 Classica and found NO difference changing coil packs, however...a couple of guys here have, in the past , reported poor running 124 Abarths, changed the packs and were happy.
ron

·
Registered
124 GT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron,
I've started to look at the Bosch ones, and they're coming in at a far more reasonable price. It's all pre-emptive measures, before I start going for power upgrades.
Thanks for the compliments on the GT. I wasn't fully aware of the rarity of them when I first looked at buying one, but I'm really pleased I went for it over the 124 Spider. I love the look with the CF roof on it, and it does quiten the ride a little.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I "upgraded" mine to the Alfa 4C coils and the only thing that changed was the plastic cover over the engine became harder to close due to the pigtails from the coil packs pointing upwards rather than sideways like on the stock coil packs. No change to performance or even misfire count. I sold them and went back to stock.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I "upgraded" mine to the Alfa 4C coils and the only thing that changed was the plastic cover over the engine became harder to close due to the pigtails from the coil packs pointing upwards rather than sideways like on the stock coil packs. No change to performance or even misfire count. I sold them and went back to stock.
Yeah, I should have said that also...That cheap looking cover looks better hanging on my garage wall with all my bits anyway, and....In my opinion...the engine bay looks beefier without the cover. I still have my yellow top coil packs boxed away, should the Spider develop a coil pack issue over time (it's a keeper) then I would simply swap the set back and would not expect any less performance either. Cheers
ron

·
Registered
124 GT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just ordered some new Bosch ones, from an Ebay supplier, for £120. Should future proof any upgrades that I decide to do later on, for a very reasonable outlay.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I've just ordered some new Bosch ones, from an Ebay supplier, for £120. Should future proof any upgrades that I decide to do later on, for a very reasonable outlay.
If I remember correctly that's about less than half the total price I paid....Excellent Cheers
ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts