Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 124 Abarth and was thinking of upgrading the cold air intake...has any one done this...I know a place that has engineered one for the car...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
From EuroCompulsion, I bought their V1 air intake (tube only between the airbox and turbo), and instead of their K&N air filter option I also bought the AFE brand dry (non-oiled) air filter which claims more airflow and better junk stopping than K&N or stock filters. I also bought their Go Fast Bits (a.k.a. GFB) DV+ diverter valve for the turbo, this replaces the crappy stock diverter valve and provides better turbo performance. And, I bought their catch can system, which if you order, you need to specify automatic or manual transmission, each has a different mounting bracket. Lastly, I bought the Cravenspeed Stubby radio antenna from them, only about 3-4 inches long vs. the really long, ugly factory antenna, and works great at pulling in the signal.

All of these easy to install goodies are talked about in detail at 124Spider if you want to search for more info. EC has instructions at their website, too.

Steve.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have the EuroCompulsion V4 intake. It's been on the car for a number of months and thousands of miles. Combined with the Euro+Drive Lite, the car's performance is way better.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Eurocompulsion V4 intake.

·
Super Moderator
1,062 Posts
I'll add my positive opinion to John's and the rest. The v4 is easy to install and effective. I think it would be wasteful to buy the more expensive alternatives.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
415 Posts
I can't see getting any of the ones with the filter, open, right behind the radiator fan. Those seem like "hot" air intakes. Looks like some of them, though (EC v4 for one) actually do it right. I haven't decided what I'm going with yet, and probably won't until doing something about the real bottleneck, which is the throttle body that looks like it belongs on a riding mower.

·
Administrator
1,989 Posts
I'll be getting an intake at some point, but I'm still not certain which one. I would not discount the EC V2 intake simply because the filter is exposed. The filter is located decently low in the engine bay, and according to EC's testing, it still provides cooler air on average across idle, cruise, and WOT driving than the OEM intake while providing power almost comparable to the V4 intake (certainly better than the V1 and the stock intakes). Have a look through their technical document comparing the three:

http://eurocompulsion.net/FIAT124SPIDERINTAKETECH.pdf

I'm sure Greg or someone at EC can shed more light on this subject.

·
Vendor
3,236 Posts
Regarding our Eurocompulsion intakes, we have three of them. I can't really say one is "the best", all offer some advantages. I'll try and sum them up here.

1. The V1 intake. This is essentially a direct replacement piece for the stock part. It's made from better materiel, and doesn't have the ribbed section that disrupts the airflow. It can be used by itself or with an upgraded filter. It looks great, will last forever, and can be used with either the stock filter, AFE, or K&N. It provides a gain of about 5 horsepower, which isn't really enough to feel, but you can measure it. This intake is a great choice if you want an intake that is no louder than stock easy to install and looks pretty close to stock.

2. The V2 intake. This intake is quite different from our other two. It uses an open element filter, which allows for greater filter area, and a lot more noise. The noise is not intrusive in normal driving (my opinion) but when you get on the throttle, you can really hear it. The filter is located right by the factory fresh air duct in the coolest spot in the engine bay. While the air isn't quite as cool as it is with the V1, it more than makes up for it because it's more free flowing. In most conditions it will give more power than our V1. With typical gains of about 7 horsepower and some aggressive noises, this is right intake for some people.

3. The V4 intake. From a pure performance standpoint this one is our best 124 intake. It's a true cold air intake with all the flow capacity of the V2, but with the addition of ram air. Pressure in the intake increases measurably with speed. However, it's only slightly louder than stock (that could be good or bad, depending on the individual), and it's the most expensive.

All of our intakes use thick, high quality silicone and are all about equal in build quality. None of them require to you cut up or damage anything on your car, so the installations are reversible. All are available in Red or Black.

There is a lot of tech info here, along with more detailed an accurate information about power gains: http://eurocompulsion.net/FIAT124SPIDERINTAKETECH.pdf

·
Registered
349 Posts
Directing air from the lower parts of the bumper up to the filter should do it some good. I know owners of other cars who do exactly this and have good results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are there any videos floating around comparing the stock intake, V1, V2, and V4? (In terms of throttle response, sound, etc.)

I have watched the EC videos on all three but have yet to see a users perspective install.

This would certainly help the decision making process.

Cheers,

Chris

·
Vendor
3,236 Posts
We don't have any videos comparing sound or response because it's just about impossible to do that. The sound over a computer has more to do with the volume knob than the intake, and response is related to the throttle pedal which is tough to show in a video.

My suggestion is to read the reports from various owners, there are quite a few on this forum. I try to describe this stuff as accurately as I can, but some of this is a bit subjective. For example, I don't think the V2 is too loud, but some do.

Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody know the weight differences between the stock intake and the aftermarket intake's like EC V4 and Afe momentum GT ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts