Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else obsess over 2 or more colors when making a decision? I love the pearl white but I think I really need to get some color for a caliber car of this type. You know?

·
Registered
243 Posts
That's pretty much most car buyers when it comes to any new car be it an average civic or a 124 Spider. Have you seen both paint options in real life?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Any one else obsess over 2 or more colors when making a decision?
I am very colour obsessive ........ even got to the stage where my A500 was a special order (a standard Euro colour unable in Australia) that took over a year to negotiate and 11 months waiting for delivery. I doubt that I would have so readily purchased a A124 if had not been available in blue

Best thing have the dealer arrange to have both colours side by side - outside !!!

Have fun

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I will consider any car color other than black. To me, black paint on any vehicle is lifeless, and seems like the designer just didn't care about how the vehicle looks. I'm not thrilled about pure, fresh snow white, either. Get slightly away from those extremes and I'm open to it. Pearl white, you bet. Hey, my Spider is the dark gray metallic and looks great, very classy, regal. I like that bronze a lot, too. Red- passion, but Spider red scratches too easily, otherwise that was the color I was originally buying. I understand blue is a 2018 color, I'd be all over that! British racing green would be great, too, if they ever use it.

Steve.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you seen both paint options in real life?
Yes. Went to the dealer and to my eye the pearl white Abarth looks the best. My original choice was the red but after seeing it in real life I'm not in love with it. It doesn't pop like the pearl.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was torn on my Abarth. Which maybe is a little different with red bits and pieces. For me it was white or aluminum. In the end I picked aluminum because of how it showed off the lines and contours of the body. I bought the materials to do the heritage stripe but have not pulled the trigger, the paint is so nice and the hood looks great in this color. I did do a full paint correction which really made it pop.

I agree though it will never happen, British Racing Green with camel leather would be striking. Even more so on an Abarth with some of the red options. But British not Italian. I saw an image online of the ND MX5 in that color way and it looked great.

To others points

Black does suck the design out and shows every spec of dust and swirls, but again with paint correction and the red bits on an Abarth it looks the business

Red seems to be soft and hard to care for, to bad because it looks great on the cars that have had paint correction. For a car that gets mistaken for a Ferrari it seems appropriate

Blue seems YTBD

I do think Fiat should take a hint from cars like Mini and offer some fun colors. Their Moonwalk Grey could look amazing on an Abarth. Very cool color in person. Their lighter blues would look great across the entire line, etc Maybe more limited edition colors would generate more sales with a sense of urgency

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
I was obsessing about the choice between Mica or Soul Red on the Miata Club. The problem was solved by buying the Abarth and IMO the only color could be red! Even if it's built in Hiroshima, it's soul is Italian.
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
When you think of the original 124spider, 2 things come in mind.
1- RED
2- Manual

The above define the classical 124spider.

I went for that, mind you, in today modern age, anyone is free of choosing and customizing their cars to their own taste. After all you paid for it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have owned a bunch of silver cars over the years, but for me, an Italian car must be red. And this car is a head turner as it is, so whatever speaks to you will be fine. You're the only one that has to be happy with it.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I thought I wanted black, until I saw a white one.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I was in the market for an 124 Abarth and the color palette was pretty limited:

Never ever - White (Bianco Perla / Gelato): It's a very personnal thing, I hate white cars. To me white is for commercial / fleet / girly cars.

Third choice - Black (Nero Cinema): Being a metallic color it's a nice color in person but it's not the greatest on the 124 Abarth because of black trim and heritage stripes.

Second choice - Red (Rosso Passion): Nice color on the 124 but to me the hue is not that italian. That Rosso have some pinkish tint in it. I prefer red that have more orange tint. Also solid red paint is a lot harder to maintain and becomes flat after a few years. My daily driver Chevy Cruze is red so I didn't wan't another red car in my driveway... :)

Fisrt choice - Aluminium (Grigio Argento): It was my prefered choice and never own grey metallic cars before. To my eye it was the best match for heritage stripes and red bits, that color shows best the body panel curve and line shape design.

Favorite choice - Blue (Azzuro): That color is my favorite color so striking for a sport car but sadly not available in North America. Azzuro is not even in the Lusso trim in Canada (Limited Edtion anniversary cars are Bronzo Magnetico).

·
Registered
211 Posts
I struggled for a few weeks between red and black. Ended up going with the black, as soft as the paint on these is 6 of 1 1/2 dozen of another. Although black is a pain, but god its beautiful when freshly cleaned and waxed.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Being British, white for me is a color suitable only for vans (although Sharkcohan is doing a pretty good job of changing my mind on that with some of his pics).

That meant when I bought my Abarth (manual tranny being non-negotiable) I could have any color I liked as long as it was black without going special order. As it turns out, I really like it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Being British, white for me is a color suitable only for vans (although Sharkcohan is doing a pretty good job of changing my mind on that with some of his pics).

That meant when I bought my Abarth (manual tranny being non-negotiable) I could have any color I liked as long as it was black without going special order. As it turns out, I really like it.
That is not just a UK thing, to me it screams fleet vehicle and or .gov vehicle. Iv'e gotta think you got yours at Mike Ward, as there is not many around here in CO. Just so you know, if you did, my butt touched the seat first :D

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
That is not just a UK thing, to me it screams fleet vehicle and or .gov vehicle. Iv'e gotta think you got yours at Mike Ward, as there is not many around here in CO. Just so you know, if you did, my butt touched the seat first :D
I thought that warm feeling was the seat heaters...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts

Never ever - White (Bianco Perla / Gelato): It's a very personnal thing, I hate white cars. To me white is for commercial / fleet / girly cars.

Third choice - Black (Nero Cinema): Being a metallic color it's a nice color in person but it's not the greatest on the 124 Abarth because of black trim and heritage stripes.

Second choice - Red (Rosso Passion): Nice color on the 124 but to me the hue is not that italian. That Rosso have some pinkish tint in it. I prefer red that have more orange tint. Also solid red paint is a lot harder to maintain and becomes flat after a few years. My daily driver Chevy Cruze is red so I didn't wan't another red car in my driveway... :)

Fisrt choice - Aluminium (Grigio Argento): It was my prefered choice and never own grey metallic cars before. To my eye it was the best match for heritage stripes and red bits, that color shows best the body panel curve and line shape design.

Favorite choice - Blue (Azzuro): That color is my favorite color so striking for a sport car but sadly not available in North America. Azzuro is not even in the Lusso trim in Canada (Limited Edtion anniversary cars are Bronzo Magnetico).
Wolf, today was playing golf at L'Epiphanie with my friend from Quebec, and while playing he said so far I only have seen a Gregio Abarth. I asked him, did it have RED LIPSTICK in the front:x, he said, I think I saw some RED line in front. I told him laughing that he's the guy we might go for a beer when I come down to Quebec.

Not too many Spider in Quebec city, mind you so far I only saw a Lusso in Montreal. but dealer tells me they sell.

By the way my MURANO is white(PEARL)>:)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wolf, today was playing golf at L'Epiphanie with my friend from Quebec, and while playing he said so far I only have seen a Gregio Abarth. I asked him, did it have RED LIPSTICK in the front:x, he said, I think I saw some RED line in front. I told him laughing that he's the guy we might go for a beer when I come down to Quebec.

Not too many Spider in Quebec city, mind you so far I only saw a Lusso in Montreal. but dealer tells me they sell.

By the way my MURANO is white(PEARL)>:)
haha! that must be me! I never saw another 124 in the wild yet but I seen few ND. A co-worker told me last week he saw a Grigio Moda or Bronzo Magnetico 124 Spider on the same parking lot at work just parked on the other side of the building I use to park myself. Next time I'll go to work with my Abarth I'll park beside him (or hers) I take some pics for sure.

And... feel sorry for your Murano! :D ;)

·
Registered
529 Posts

Goodness someone who thinks much like i do ........

Generally I do not like monochrome colours - as we live in world of glorious colour and I find them a bit too "German". Having said that I will admit that they do suit some cars better than others....(said he who special ordered a Campovolo grey A5oo). Specifically;

White - too domestic appliance for me....however add a few stripes and red details - tots hot !!

Black - makes the Spider look a bit too amorphous and hides the shape

Grey - actually looks OK and again add a few stripes and red details - tots hot !!

Red - confession time ......even though I am an Italian Car tragic never liked red cars, much prefer red interiors - Hubba Hubba

Which left me with Blue and when I found out I could get one with the red seats ....SOLD !!! I adore those classic Blue & Red Italian cars of the past

And having said all that - Your money, your taste, your choice

1 - 20 of 34 Posts