Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Abarth 124 Spider in Isola d'Elba Blue with Heritage Pack
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Today, I've completed the first bit of custom Alcantara work on the vehicle (the Alcantara door panels were purchased pre-cut) - the entire centre console has been upholstered in Alcantara 9002-5012, to match the existing Alcantara found on the gear stick, e-brake, cubby, dashboard and doors. :D

This compliments the recently upholstered door panels and will soon be joined by A-Pillars that are to be upholstered in the same Alcantara. Subject to length remaining (I purchased 1x1.5m), I'll also upholster the large plastic part which contains the switchgear for the DSC and bonnet release. I am also contemplating upholstering the upper part of the door panels (the part that meets the window) in a lower cost dark automotive suede. Furthermore, I have seen on a Miata forum that an MX-5 owner has upgraded their steering wheel with an automotive suede and leatherette pre-cut which looks phenomenal - I may do that too. Watch this space.

For those of you based in the UK, this length of Alcantara is available from UKHide for approx £75 inc. VAT.

Excuse the different in colour tones throughout the second photo - that's the camera on my mobile phone, rather than any difference in Alcantara colour.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Very nice man! Very very nice - definitely adds something to the interior 👍🏻

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Hey guys,

Today, I've completed the first bit of custom Alcantara work on the vehicle (the Alcantara door panels were purchased pre-cut) - the entire centre console has been upholstered in Alcantara 9002-5012, to match the existing Alcantara found on the gear stick, e-brake, cubby, dashboard and doors. :D

This compliments the recently upholstered door panels and will soon be joined by A-Pillars that are to be upholstered in the same Alcantara. Subject to length remaining (I purchased 1x1.5m), I'll also upholster the large plastic part which contains the switchgear for the DSC and bonnet release. I am also contemplating upholstering the upper part of the door panels (the part that meets the window) in a lower cost dark automotive suede. Furthermore, I have seen on a Miata forum that an MX-5 owner has upgraded their steering wheel with an automotive suede and leatherette pre-cut which looks phenomenal - I may do that too. Watch this space.

For those of you based in the UK, this length of Alcantara is available from UKHide for approx £75 inc. VAT.

Excuse the different in colour tones throughout the second photo - that's the camera on my mobile phone, rather than any difference in Alcantara colour.

View attachment 85014 View attachment 85015
WOW!!! This is looking really good. You may have a weekend business in the making. If you do the upper section of the door in a contrasting color, you may want to do the bottom of the door too. To me it would maintain consistenvy instead of 3 different fabrics, but that’s me. The interior is definitely going to be sweet, when you complete all of your Alcantara upgrades.

Well done 👍

Dan

·
Premium Member
2020 Fiat 124 Abarth, manual, Chiaro Silver, visability, navigation, convenience packages, brembos
71 Posts
I'm with Dan here. It looks great. As for additional fabrics, try to stay away from too many types of fabrics. Like great architecture and landscaping, have a few consistent themes running throughout the car and treat it as a whole rather than a bunch of pretty individual parts.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
541 Posts
I think it looks perfect the way it is now! Wow I wish I had your skills and courage. That is exactly how I feel the car would have come if it cost 50k usd. Maybe some carbon too. 🤤

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
927 Posts
LondonAbarth, your work is amazing! I'm in the process of updating my interior. I want to replace some of the cheap interior plastic pieces, like the door panels and door sills, with better looking materials that better match the Italian exterior. I hope it comes out as well as yours.

Excellent craftsmanship and style! That is a fine looking interior!

Reactions: Mikeydred

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, much appreciated! :D

A little update - my friend (an upholsterer), was able to do some sewing, along with top-stitching of the Alcantara for the A-Pillars which I have now successfully installed.

As always for me, the objective is to maintain an OEM+ look for the vehicle, both inside and out.

The final piece of the Alcantara puzzle is:

I'll update with photos again once that final piece is complete and installed. :geek:

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Jesus! Please stop! I thought that was all I needed but now your going to make me want the whole interior wrapped in alcantara! Lol
In all seriousness it is looking amazing!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Very nice man. Looking even better than before - how much time have spent on this out of interest?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jesus! Please stop! I thought that was all I needed but now your going to make me want the whole interior wrapped in alcantara! Lol
In all seriousness it is looking amazing!
Thank you! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice man. Looking even better than before - how much time have spent on this out of interest?
Thank you LG.

I have spent around 20 hours all-in on the door cards, centre console and A-Pillars. :geek:

Unfortunately, the dash panel on the driver's side is proving to be the hardest of all the upgrades - there are lots of complex curves that mean the Alcantara needs to be cut and sewn. I'll post the finished product when I'm done.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Nicely done. I would welcome that on my car. I wonder how much it would cost to have done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey all,

Thought I'd update this thread - I have completed the Alcantara work on the car!

Save for some snagging that needs to be done (there's some bubbling where the glue has dried in lumps on the passenger door, which needs to be removed and the material reset), I'm fairly happy with the end result.

Aside from the driver's side dash, I've also elected to wrap the upper parts of the doors in Alcantara too.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Shows what determination, persistence, patience, and attention to detail can accomplish. Very nice work!

·
Premium Member
2020 Fiat 124 Abarth, manual, Chiaro Silver, visability, navigation, convenience packages, brembos
71 Posts
Looks great.....

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
927 Posts
Outstanding! Now the quality of the interior matches the Italian looks on the outside! Great job!

Reactions: mtnghost

·
Registered
541 Posts
Now it’s got a Japanese chassis Italian engine and an English interior! At least the highest quality part is the part you see all the time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Guys :geek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts