Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still don't have this question resolved. My car has been in storage since I added Navigation so I can't try it. My understanding is that our Navigation system is capable of live traffic updates.
The manuals on the Navigation system from Mazda and SCION 1A which both employ similar navigation systems, (the SCION 1A uses the same SD card maps) don't explain how live traffic works, simply saying "if your car is equipped" you will have it.
My understanding is that Live Traffic sources can come from XM channels as well as HD radio in what's referred to as RDS messages. Here is a link to all the cities HERE (the provider's of our maps) provides live traffic HD updates.http://www.navteq.com/rdstraffic/index_150.htm

Some 124 are equipped with Satellite radio receivers and you can subscribe to XM radio which included live traffic.
All of our infotainment systems include HD radio receivers as well.

I am guessing our cars would use the HD RDS system integrated into the navigation system to get Live Traffic just because that makes the most sense to me given everyone has HD radios.

So my question, do our systems utilize the HD radio and RDS to get live traffic on the Navigation system, or do you need the satellite antennae and an XM radio subscription to get them?

·
Registered
351 Posts
All the documentation says it uses only historical traffic data, not live. There seem to be some differences between European and American specs on some of the infotainment stuff, but I've never seen any live traffic on the Nav.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In North America, you need a XM subscription in order to get traffic data, which you can only get if you have an XM-ready system (shark antenna on your decklid).
Thanks Ameridan. Let's put it on the list of infotainment updates to switch the Navigation to use HD Radio RDS instead since every car has HD radio and no subscription is required,

Reactions: ameridan

·
Registered
351 Posts
In North America, you need a XM subscription in order to get traffic data, which you can only get if you have an XM-ready system (shark antenna on your decklid).
The Mazda Connect system specifically does not interface to Sirius - it's been a bone of contention in the Mazda forums for a couple years (read about it here, for example). There is no live traffic in Mazdas using the identical infotainment system. The 2016 Mazdas had live traffic for a while, but then it got shut down due to contractual complexities.

Has Fiat contracted with Sirius separately for traffic info? My Lusso has active Sirius, but no live traffic. Historical data only.

·
Registered
284 Posts
No live traffic in mine. Every survey I've done I've complained about this.even got a call from Fca about it and they of course could do nothing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Here in the UK we can get live traffic only via a data connection on our mobile (cell) phone which connects to the Infotainment system via a WiFi hotspot. Once you are connected you extra options instead of just historic traffic:

Options

Comparison of historic vs. live traffic displays:

Historic Live

And an example of my route to work showing traffic incidents close by:

Route

But to use live trafffic you need to set up the WiFi hotspot and not mind paying for the data, often it's just easier to look at Google Maps with traffic on the phone...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts