Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I recently found myself contemplating that I am in need of a sports car. I started looking at the Miata and then came across the Fiat 124 Spider. I read about them when they first came out a few years ago but never followed through. Now, I find myself obsessively researching to see if this car will fit me and my style of driving.

Is there any reason I should not be looking at an Abarth over a Miata? I would like to hear firsthand from you owners to see what your experience is so far. I like both cars, but, think I like the Abarth styling a little more. If I am going to go through the trouble of buying one, I do not want to look back and have any regrets.

I live in Southern California, on the edge of suburbia. So, that gives me the majority of the year to drive a convertible sports car and on nice curvy back-roads where plenty of fun is to be had year-round. I am coming from 25 years of enjoying motorcycles and have found myself not having as much fun riding as I use to. It seems everyone around me is trying to kill me these days. I am kind of thinking that my fun will be less stressful with a nice agile and not-so-expensive hobby car like a Spider or Miata.

My biggest concern about the Abarth today is that they seem a lot more expensive than they should be. I know, I know, market, covid, chip shortage, inflation, yada yada yada... But, is an Abarth worth the price they are right now?

What do you all think out there?

Thanks!

Ernie

Registered
Hello All,

I recently found myself contemplating that I am in need of a sports car. I started looking at the Miata and then came across the Fiat 124 Spider. I read about them when they first came out a few years ago but never followed through. Now, I find myself obsessively researching to see if this car will fit me and my style of driving.

Is there any reason I should not be looking at an Abarth over a Miata? I would like to hear firsthand from you owners to see what your experience is so far. I like both cars, but, think I like the Abarth styling a little more. If I am going to go through the trouble of buying one, I do not want to look back and have any regrets.

I live in Southern California, on the edge of suburbia. So, that gives me the majority of the year to drive a convertible sports car and on nice curvy back-roads where plenty of fun is to be had year-round. I am coming from 25 years of enjoying motorcycles and have found myself not having as much fun riding as I use to. It seems everyone around me is trying to kill me these days. I am kind of thinking that my fun will be less stressful with a nice agile and not-so-expensive hobby car like a Spider or Miata.

My biggest concern about the Abarth today is that they seem a lot more expensive than they should be. I know, I know, market, covid, chip shortage, inflation, yada yada yada... But, is an Abarth worth the price they are right now?

What do you all think out there?

Thanks!

Ernie
I recommend driving both. Then you can see if the Abarth is worth the extra money. Being on the 124 site of course people will be biased and tell you to go for the Abarth.馃槀
Also take into account the styling. People tend to choose one over the other just based on looks due to them being drastically different from the exterior point of view. Regarding the interior, they're pretty much the same.

Registered
2020 124 Abarth Convenience Group - Nav and Sound - Visibility Group - AT
For me looks alone I would go 124 Spider whatever trim you get. I hate to say that I bought mine new and at $6k below sticker. There was a small window before covid that they were dumping stock all over the US. I also road street bikes and this is almost as fun and for sure 100% less stressful. Rain comes, put up the top. Cold, turn on the toosh toasters. Nobody trying to kill you!
I cant think of another convertible sports car that would be a better value than one of these. Maybe a used M235i? I had one just before the Spider. Spider is more fun to drive IMO.

Registered
2017 124 Classica
The only reason not to buy the Fiata is if you care about dealer service, or long term availability of parts that aren't shared with either Miata or with other Fiats. For example, people have had a lot of trouble finding certain body parts already that are on infinite backorder and have to be sourced used. They sold less than 20,000 124 Spiders in the US.

Reactions: gidruhamlu

Registered
I agree with the posts here that dealer service and parts are a problem with the 124. But then, it's a rare car and that's part of the appeal. Thing is, if you are practical-minded, you wouldn't be looking at a 124 or this site. So, you have to buy the 124 or you'll regret that you didn't. It's really that simple.

Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
I test drove the MX-5 and the Spider before buying. The Spider won me over with the exotic Italian styling, the turbo kick, the engine sound, the perfectly tuned suspension. That was 38 months ago. One of the best purchases I ever made. I'd do it all over again.

Sky Cloud Wheel Tire Vehicle

Reactions: LongShao

Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth

Registered
2020 Abarth 6MT Modded To The Moon
Tire Car Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle

I have driven both the older ND and the newer with the 1.8 as well as the 2017 abarth, and now an owner of a 2020 abarth.

My TL;DR is: just fkn buy the abarth. The engine is better, the trans is better, the looks are better. Its just better.

I mean鈥 you want a catfish in your garage? Or one of these? 馃槑

Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
View attachment 94027
I have driven both the older ND and the newer with the 1.8 as well as the 2017 abarth, and now an owner of a 2020 abarth.

My TL;DR is: just fkn buy the abarth. The engine is better, the trans is better, the looks are better. Its just better.

I mean鈥 you want a catfish in your garage? Or one of these? 馃槑
Hey I think your copying my car collection of the past three years! 馃槀 assuming you meant you had an NA Miata with the 1.6, then NA or NB 1.8? Then the 2017 Abarth and finally the white with velino package 2020! What are the odds of that? All great cars too, loved all of them differently.

Super Moderator
I鈥檓 for the Abarth. All used cars are overpriced, so you may as well get something special. Being in California provides an advantage for 124 owners because there is a large community, and you鈥檙e not far from Brian Goodwin racing. Even if you aren鈥檛 going to auto-cross, he鈥檚 the expert with this car.
Best regards
Pete

Registered
2020 Abarth 6MT Modded To The Moon
Hey I think your copying my car collection of the past three years! 馃槀 assuming you meant you had an NA Miata with the 1.6, then NA or NB 1.8? Then the 2017 Abarth and finally the white with velino package 2020! What are the odds of that? All great cars too, loved all of them differently.
No not quite lol Just driven them
Im pretty picky when it comes to cars thus i dont actually buy that many of them. The abarth is the first pleasure car ive bought in a decade and change, since my 2011 mustang (which i still have).
Then, instead of trading cars in all the time and blah blah blah i settle in one a narrow group of cars i like, pick one and then mod the fawk out of it. So im still wasting money 馃槀 just not on trade-ins 馃槄馃槄馃槄

1 - 18 of 18 Posts