Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this engine in the Spider 124 the same engine as the Jeep Renegade? I am concerned about the reliabilty of at Italian made Fiat engine. My mechanice says the Fiat Engine in the Renegade is horrible. So. although this Spider is actually produced by Mazda in Japan.. it does NOT have the reliable Mazda engines.. is this correct?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Luckily, the car appears to have a very reliable Fiat engine - Plenty of other threads on here where people have asked about issues, especially at high mileages, and no real achilles heel on these motors has emerged.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luckily, the car appears to have a very reliable Fiat engine - Plenty of other threads on here where people have asked about issues, especially at high mileages, and no real achilles heel on these motors has emerged.
thank you ...but isnt this the same 4cyl Turbo engine that is in the Jeep Renegade?

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Steve this engine blends well with rhe 124. With other cars If not mistaken it may vary.

Look at 4th generation mazda. Engine and the Transmission don t blend well cause they have a Trans. issue.
124 uses 3rd gen transm and no issues.

So draw your conclussion.

Reactions: DougGTR

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,473 Posts
thank you ...but isnt this the same 4cyl Turbo engine that is in the Jeep Renegade?
Yes, it is the same block, head, and MA unit. It was also used in the Dart. It does have heat leading to detonation and ring land failure issues around cylinder #2 and #3 across all the platforms, stock with or without turbo. Most never have major issues but it is there.

I am one of unlucky ones that drew the REALLY shitty short stick. First a ring land failure on #2, then cylinder wall failure in #1 due to possible contamination in the cast iron itself.

Not giving up on it, plenty have achieved much success with it and I will find another SOLID block to build up to my goal.

Reactions: alltimesaresoon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve this engine blends well with rhe 124. With other cars If not mistaken it may vary.

Look at 4th generation mazda. Engine and the Transmission don t blend well cause they have a Trans. issue.
124 uses 3rd gen transm and no issues.

So draw your conclussion.
Its not a question of "blending well" .. it is an issue of reliabilty of THAT FIAT ENGINE .. but thanks for your time. No one can confirm if this is the same engine that is in the Jeep Renegade by FIAT

·
Registered
319 Posts
Its not a question of "blending well" .. it is an issue of reliabilty of THAT FIAT ENGINE .. but thanks for your time. No one can confirm if this is the same engine that is in the Jeep Renegade by FIAT
You have to be a bit more specific because the Jeep Renegade is using the 1.3L engine currently, but the 1.4L before 2017 or 2018, so it's not as simple as saying yes or no since the engine has changed in the last couple years.

Reactions: Bob Polselli

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
My brother owned a 2015 Renegade: it was in the shop every other week! The window regulators, the door seals, the head unit, the automatic transmission... What a POS! But the engine ran without trouble. Owners of subsequent model years appear to have fewer issues.

I have owned my 2018 Spider for 2.5 years: the water pump had to be replaced at 4,000 miles and again at 4,300 miles; both times under warranty. I have ongoing interface/connectivity issues with the Mazda infotainment system, and the Mazda blind spot monitor is absolutely worthless. But I have not had any issues with the engine or the transmission. Not even a CEL code.

Knock on wood!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
My understanding is Renegade came with either the Fiat 1.4T or the Chrysler 2.4L. In case of the 1.4T, yes it was the same engine as that in Spider.

FWIW, mechanics in N.A. HATE Fiats and Fiat engines: Fiat left a terrible reputation years ago, and today the average mechanic is not very familiar with the new crop of Fiat engines.

Even the techs at my Jeep dealer, who are supposed to be able to service Fiats, left things loose after I brought the Spider in for an oil change.

Reactions: Bob Polselli

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have to be a bit more specific because the Jeep Renegade is using the 1.3L engine currently, but the 1.4L before 2017 or 2018, so it's not as simple as saying yes or no since the engine has changed in the last couple years.
So grateful for everyones info and input. I just love the looks of the new Spider, but am just soooo concerned about a typically unreliable Italian engine. My mechanic says STAY AWAY from Italian engines. Maybe I will hear more feedback on the Spider 124 engines 2016-2021.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Is this engine in the Spider 124 the same engine as the Jeep Renegade? I am concerned about the reliabilty of at Italian made Fiat engine. My mechanice says the Fiat Engine in the Renegade is horrible. So. although this Spider is actually produced by Mazda in Japan.. it does NOT have the reliable Mazda engines.. is this correct?
IMHO, if your mechanic is one of "those guys" who's on the FIAT bad quality bandwagon, your better option is to look for a better mechanic... or at least one who doesn't trade in outdated stereotypes. That's just kind of sad to be honest, and more than bordering on cultural discrimination.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
You won't hear anything about 2021 Spiders; there are none. You seem to have made up your mind and have a guilty-until-proven-innocent perspective. Are you challenging us to persuade you otherwise? Maybe you should ask your mechanic about their recommendation for an engine swap. I've had five cars with Italian-made 4-cylinder turbocharged engines in the last five years (all but the Spider were leased, two were driven by my wife). They're good.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The 2.0T used on the Jeep Wrangler is a Fiat/Alfa Romeo motor; has proved reliable and is a gem to drive.

Mechanics don’t bitch about it because it says “Jeep” on it.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive air manifold Car

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
803 Posts
FWIW, We have had a good number of Jeeps come through our shop, bought at auction or as trade-ins with 1.4's and 2.0's for check overs and repair before being offered for sale. (We have also had a couple of 500's - we are not a Jeep or Fiat new car dealer) And they sell like hotcakes. Many of these cars come back after the sale for service and repair. While I have seen some issues (all makes and models have some issues), I cannot remember, do not recall any issues with the engines. Electrical, brake (ABS/ESC), odd noises, etc., yes. Engines? no. Just my experience. Best, s

·
Registered
293 Posts
You said "Italian" like it was a bad thing. Like Italians make crappy stuff. Like Italians are a bunch of swarthy, pizza spinning fools incapable of making anything reliable enough to win Lemans, or Daytona or Formula One for instance. Kinda like the way Italians talk about American cars and American stuff. Italians car brands include Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Pagani, Alfa Romeo and finally, sadly . . . Fiat. The redheaded stepchild whose ancestry you question. You want to buy one but . . . . its Italian. Like you were gonna marry the girl . . . but you heard she was a gypsy . . . . Is it true you ask? Is she a gypsy? The answer is yes, she is a gypsy. And we here are all Gypsy lovers. Maybe we are the wrong people to ask.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Find another car to buy. I’m truly not trying to be rude. But this is a forum for people that generally love and appreciate the 124 - despite any quirks and/or reliability issues it may have. I don’t have a desire to convince a skeptic to buy this car. In fact, I like the idea that only a select few will be able to own this beauty.

Please let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Steve, if you lived in Europe you would understand the issue with Fiats, they generally aren’t engine related. I’ve had a few Fiats (Panda, 111, 124,3p, 132 Miriafiori, Punto, Tip-off, Uno) I’ve had issues with rusting, electrics, interior trim, but never the engine. In fact quite the opposite, the engines are amongst the best I have had, especially the small one’s. I had no hesitation buying my Abarth in that respect. This engine is a beauty, soulful and tons of torque, the perfect combination!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Small engine of the year 2010......."Fiat MultiAir 1.4 Turbo".....Fitted to Zillions of vehicles since. Like your mechanic I too had my doubts, as I would have had with any car manufacturer that consistently produces some cr*p vehicles, however...This engine and the 124 Spider "in my opinion" are extremely well matched, a very light car driven by a well proven power unit. Still considering a 124 Spider ....Read thread "124 Spider Basic Ownership Rules...some of" that "may" show you were some uneducated in the Multiair engine guys went wrong, example....Wintering their Spider without paying attention to "The Brick". Most Guys here "NEVER" get caught out...they know the drill...Cheers
ron

1 - 20 of 65 Posts