Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Who buys Italian sports cars because they are reliable?
"ME"..............If it had not been for the "Mazda" MX5 underpinning I would NOT have gone within a 100 yards of the 124 Spider upon seeing the "fiat" badge, however...I remembered seeing the 2016 promotional advert in the Daily Mail where you could scroll and choose between the Mazda MX5 ND or the Fiat 124 Spider built in Japan on the same Hiroshima production line as the MX5 using same underpinning and multiple part sharing, that "for me" meant reliable electrics and build quality, unlike most Italian produced Vehicles, Fiat 500 aside ! Cheers
ron

·
Registered
84 Posts
In the garage I have a fiat punto gt 1400cc turbo from 1996 that has already been with stage 3, hybrid turbo, making strong pressure, I blew the turbo and the engine is there, starts at the first try, it has no oil or coolant passages, and it has never been opened, it has 170,000km (105.000miles). is it fiat bad?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Painting with broad brushes is what people do. Ain't got time for no nuance.

·
Registered
333 Posts
So grateful for everyones info and input. I just love the looks of the new Spider, but am just soooo concerned about a typically unreliable Italian engine. My mechanic says STAY AWAY from Italian engines. Maybe I will hear more feedback on the Spider 124 engines 2016-2021.
This engine does not appear to be "typically unreliable" - I am approaching 60,000 miles on mine and it has not missed a beat, and this is not unusual. Owners on here are not hiding their issues, there just are not many of us who have had major problems with their cars. I do not think you will regret buying one.

More feedback about 124 Spider engines here -

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
54 Posts
You said "Italian" like it was a bad thing. Like Italians make crappy stuff. Like Italians are a bunch of swarthy, pizza spinning fools incapable of making anything reliable enough to win Lemans, or Daytona or Formula One for instance. Kinda like the way Italians talk about American cars and American stuff. Italians car brands include Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Pagani, Alfa Romeo and finally, sadly . . . Fiat. The redheaded stepchild whose ancestry you question. You want to buy one but . . . . its Italian. Like you were gonna marry the girl . . . but you heard she was a gypsy . . . . Is it true you ask? Is she a gypsy? The answer is yes, she is a gypsy. And we here are all Gypsy lovers. Maybe we are the wrong people to ask. Arm One-piece garment Purple Sleeve Waist

Good analogy, you only go around once why not it be with a Gypsy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
IMHO, if your mechanic is one of "those guys" who's on the FIAT bad quality bandwagon, your better option is to look for a better mechanic... or at least one who doesn't trade in outdated stereotypes. That's just kind of sad to be honest, and more than bordering on cultural discrimination.
Oh my...so now we are going to "get woke" about a CAR ..and an entire country.. so now I am a racist right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Find another car to buy. I’m truly not trying to be rude. But this is a forum for people that generally love and appreciate the 124 - despite any quirks and/or reliability issues it may have. I don’t have a desire to convince a skeptic to buy this car. In fact, I like the idea that only a select few will be able to own this beauty.

Please let us know what you decide.
Appreciate your comments because I also want to love the Spider.. I already DO love how it looks..just trying to get good info.. and this is all helping with my decision!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes, it is the same block, head, and MA unit. It was also used in the Dart. It does have heat leading to detonation and ring land failure issues around cylinder #2 and #3 across all the platforms, stock with or without turbo. Most never have major issues but it is there.

I am one of unlucky ones that drew the REALLY shitty short stick. First a ring land failure on #2, then cylinder wall failure in #1 due to possible contamination in the cast iron itself.

Not giving up on it, plenty have achieved much success with it and I will find another SOLID block to build up to my goal.
Very helpful info.. much appreciated sir. I am still reading the comments...dont want to make a decision based on one persons experience/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Steve this engine blends well with rhe 124. With other cars If not mistaken it may vary.

Look at 4th generation mazda. Engine and the Transmission don t blend well cause they have a Trans. issue.
124 uses 3rd gen transm and no issues.

So draw your conclussion.
Thanks for your input .. continuing my research.. so appreciated. I love the looks of the Spider!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My understanding is Renegade came with either the Fiat 1.4T or the Chrysler 2.4L. In case of the 1.4T, yes it was the same engine as that in Spider.

FWIW, mechanics in N.A. HATE Fiats and Fiat engines: Fiat left a terrible reputation years ago, and today the average mechanic is not very familiar with the new crop of Fiat engines.

Even the techs at my Jeep dealer, who are supposed to be able to service Fiats, left things loose after I brought the Spider in for an oil change.
Very good info ..thank you so much! I am continuing my research because I love the looks of this Spider!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You won't hear anything about 2021 Spiders; there are none. You seem to have made up your mind and have a guilty-until-proven-innocent perspective. Are you challenging us to persuade you otherwise? Maybe you should ask your mechanic about their recommendation for an engine swap. I've had five cars with Italian-made 4-cylinder turbocharged engines in the last five years (all but the Spider were leased, two were driven by my wife). They're good.
Thanks for your input..I am simply trying to research this beautiful car to make a good decision. The idea of an expensive engine swap is not viable. My mind is not made up.. this is why I have "come to the source" ..this forum is for those folks that have a Spider..so all of this info is awesome.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for your input..I am simply trying to research this beautiful car to make a good decision. The idea of an expensive engine swap is not viable. My mind is not made up.. this is why I have "come to the source" ..this forum is for those folks that have a Spider..so all of this info is awesome.
I understand your concern, however I have had major issues with Mazda and Nissan engines. There are always going to be issues with every manufacture. This engine design has been around for almost 13 years. The 124 Spider is a real joy to drive and no matter what the outcome of owning this Spider I have enjoyed every mile and would purchase it again.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
You have to be a bit more specific because the Jeep Renegade is using the 1.3L engine currently, but the 1.4L before 2017 or 2018, so it's not as simple as saying yes or no since the engine has changed in the last couple years.
Aren't the 1.4L and 1.3L completely different engines?
You won't hear anything about 2021 Spiders; there are none. You seem to have made up your mind and have a guilty-until-proven-innocent perspective. Are you challenging us to persuade you otherwise? Maybe you should ask your mechanic about their recommendation for an engine swap. I've had five cars with Italian-made 4-cylinder turbocharged engines in the last five years (all but the Spider were leased, two were driven by my wife). They're good.
I was half joking about the engine swap. It was more a dig at your mechanic than anything else. I got an extended warranty just in case. Worth looking into, in my opinion.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Very helpful info.. much appreciated sir. I am still reading the comments...dont want to make a decision based on one persons experience/
I am not saying this is the cause of Calehedrons's issues, as I don't follow all his news, but he did start early in his ownership with mods, tuning, boost, turbo upgrade and drag racing. (56 pages here)
I drive mine to work daily, and like to drive it hard on weekends (hence the high mileage), but it is entirely stock and has not yet seen a racetrack, and definitely won't be launched up the 1/4 mile. As I said, 60k trouble-free miles here.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Who buys Italian sports cars because they are reliable?
Ironically, the lower the price, the more that owner needs to rely on his vehicle.

People who own Ferraris and Lamborghinis are buying a toy; they have a bunch of other vehicles in the garage. Traditional Fiat owners, on the other hand, need their car to start every morning and get them home at the end of the day.

Spider is somewhere in-between: as affordable as Spiders can be, I don’t think many buy one with the illusion that it will be their main vehicle. The lack of practicality alone dictates that most of us view Spider as a 2nd vehicle. That in itself allows us give Fiat Spider a pass on a lot of things.

Having said that, my Spider has proven more reliable than I’d have expected of an Italian car.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Steve, my spider is 5 years old which I bought in November 2016. I have about 25K km and changed my oil every year. I have installed several accessories myself with a sweat. But as far as Car or engine NO problems. In my younger days I have owned Fiat 128, 128P and 131 only issues was rust but came to solve problem with the Antirust on the 131.

If you're looking for perfect car, forget it, it doesn't exist.
Like a woman, if the woman pleases you then you live or get married and have kids. But nothing guarantees she will be the woman till death. Same with the car. If you like the car and you have by now a good knowledge well, you know what to do.

Good luck

Reactions: SteveP.
21 - 40 of 83 Posts