Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Oh my...so now we are going to "get woke" about a CAR ..and an entire country.. so now I am a racist right?
No, not racist. Misguided perhaps (if your mechanic's base premise is that all Italian products are sub-standard).
What I was trying to get across is that generalizations regarding nationalities and "associated traits" is kind of no longer an acceptable behaviour. First time I've been regarded as woke though. lol. I merely see it as things that used to be acceptable no longer are. Kind of like using the N word. You know, stuff like that. When we choose to adapt and accept those changes is entirely up to the individual. :)

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
No, not racist. Misguided perhaps (if your mechanic's base premise is that all Italian products are sub-standard).
What I was trying to get across is that generalizations regarding nationalities and "associated traits" is kind of no longer an acceptable behaviour. First time I've been regarded as woke though. lol. I merely see it as things that used to be acceptable no longer are. Kind of like using the N word. You know, stuff like that. When we choose to adapt and accept those changes is entirely up to the individual. :)
Yep...and some folk, whatever their colour or persuasion are only to happy to jump on the "CURRENT PHASE" of "in my opinion" STUPID" Behaviour by....(hundreds of years after many Famous Pioneers acted in "what was at the time" NORMAL behaviour) tearing down or defacing statues erected in honour of the work and benefits brought to, and on behalf of communities across "The World" Claiming that someone is Racist or Woke on a whim......
We have known "Cal" (CDPond) for some years, we do not know this guy at all, yet we offered a welcome and the hand of friendship.....
To this "Steve R" I would suggest he buys a bike and gets on it..........Cheers
ron

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks for your input..I am simply trying to research this beautiful car to make a good decision. The idea of an expensive engine swap is not viable. My mind is not made up.. this is why I have "come to the source" ..this forum is for those folks that have a Spider..so all of this info is awesome.
I was in your boat in late 2016. Loved the car, concerned about the engine. My first posts on this forum bear witness. I ended up buying one, and it has been an absolute reliable car and engine. The only issues encountered were 100% self-inflicted. I would buy this car again.

HTH, SL

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I was going to see my dad across the Canada border and stay all next week; he turns 91 on Tuesday.

Due to the rains, landslides and flooding, all BC highways running east-west have been cut off for a week. Last night the province imposed an 11-day fuel rationing and travel restriction order by which you are only allowed 30 litres per fill up, and all non-essential travel is banned.

I was planning to take the Jeep, see my dad and go off-roading with my buddies. But off-roading is now out of the question.

I’m still going to see dad, but now I’m thinking of taking the Spider; 30 litres is a tank full...!

Little Fiat to the rescue!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would buy the 124, then find a new mechanic. The 1.4L has been in production since 2010. They are very common in Europe and do not have a horrible reputation at all.

Reactions: 1375southshoreeast

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Lusso Red Top Edition, Automatic, Fashion Gray, Ivory Interior, Bordeaux Top
1,612 Posts
Reactions: 2018 Fiat 124

·
Registered
184 Posts
The engines and transmissions in our cars tend to do better than the darts and jeeps. From what I hear our cars fare better because it has a lot less weight to lug around. Generally speaking, it won't be as reliable as a miata, but the sound and style of the spider make it stand out in a sea of mediocre shitboxes. It's worth it if you are a real car guy

·
Registered
56 Posts
You said "Italian" like it was a bad thing. Like Italians make crappy stuff. Like Italians are a bunch of swarthy, pizza spinning fools incapable of making anything reliable enough to win Lemans, or Daytona or Formula One for instance. Kinda like the way Italians talk about American cars and American stuff. Italians car brands include Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Pagani, Alfa Romeo and finally, sadly . . . Fiat. The redheaded stepchild whose ancestry you question. You want to buy one but . . . . its Italian. Like you were gonna marry the girl . . . but you heard she was a gypsy . . . . Is it true you ask? Is she a gypsy? The answer is yes, she is a gypsy. And we here are all Gypsy lovers. Maybe we are the wrong people to ask.
I happen to come from immigrant Italian parents and I just loved this sentence of yours which really hit home; "The redheaded stepchild whose ancestry you question". My parents are from a small farming community 75 miles south of Rome and 30 miles in from the west coast. As a child I had blonde curly hair, blue eyes with very light complexion. My older sister had red wavy hair, big blue eyes and very light complexion. My older brother and younger sister both have brown hair, brown eyes and light complexion. I'm giving this background because even though I lived in a town back east which was a microcosm of Europe as a child I was continually asked jokingly, but very cruelly by a unknowledgeable adults, if I knew who my father was. He had blue eyes, red beard and a very light complexion. The stereotype of Italians back then, I'm 84 now, was that shown in the movies; short, stocky, dark complexion, black hair and a gangster. Not at all those qualities are negative of course except being a gangster but that was the reason I was always questioned. All of this applies to Italian cars also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had Fiats back in 70’s, motors were fine; it was the crap quality eastern European steel that shipped “pre rusted” that really killed the cars. Today I‘ve got an Abarth 124, runs great. Keep in mind that the block is cast iron and is super strong. Also bought an Alfa Stelvio for my wife. Now that’s a great car, fast, quiet, smooth and the best quality paint job I’ve ever seen on a car; it’s like glass. Finally I’ve also got a Maserati Granturismo Sport. Around 20k miles, runs perfectly and the engine is as dry as the Sahara. Before these I was a BMW guy but I finally gave up on them. Too many stupid things like plastic water pump impellers, plastic radiator end tanks, plastic serpentine belt tensioner, etc. All this stuff failed on each car around 60-70k miles. Except for the 535i with the M20 motor. Best BMW I ever owned, by far. Let’s see how the Italians (and a bit of Mazda) do over the long term.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I happen to come from immigrant Italian parents and I just loved this sentence of yours which really hit home; "The redheaded stepchild whose ancestry you question". My parents are from a small farming community 75 miles south of Rome and 30 miles in from the west coast. As a child I had blonde curly hair, blue eyes with very light complexion. My older sister had red wavy hair, big blue eyes and very light complexion. My older brother and younger sister both have brown hair, brown eyes and light complexion. I'm giving this background because even though I lived in a town back east which was a microcosm of Europe as a child I was continually asked jokingly, but very cruelly by a unknowledgeable adults, if I knew who my father was. He had blue eyes, red beard and a very light complexion. The stereotype of Italians back then, I'm 84 now, was that shown in the movies; short, stocky, dark complexion, black hair and a gangster. Not at all those qualities are negative of course except being a gangster but that was the reason I was always questioned. All of this applies to Italian cars also.
No one has been more stereotyped than us Italians. And we never complained about it. And we don't complain about it now. The stereotype that we're a bunch of swarthy fools who yell at each other a lot and make a lot of hand gestures is so riveted into the culture I don't even bother to fight it. I don't have to. I'm glad people don't take us seriously. They don't take us seriously we win four World Cup and last year's European championship. The mighty German national team hasn't taken us seriously apparently because we're the only nation that has a winning record against them. They don't take us seriously in Formula 1 and Ferrari has more Formula 1 wins then anyone. whether it's coaching basketball, Rollie Massimino Jim Valvano, Lou Carnesecca, John Calipari, Rick Pitino . . . Or Football, Vince Lombardi, physics, engineering, design, art, fencing, bridge, . . . There is no area of human achievement in which Italians do not figure prominently. Italy has some of the greatest Automotive engineers in the world. They have a tradition of craftsmanship that precedes the Renaissance. But that doesn't amount to a hill of beans as soon as you say the word Fiat.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I’m third generation Italian: I find most of the stereotypes to be spot-on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is this engine in the Spider 124 the same engine as the Jeep Renegade? I am concerned about the reliabilty of at Italian made Fiat engine. My mechanice says the Fiat Engine in the Renegade is horrible. So. although this Spider is actually produced by Mazda in Japan.. it does NOT have the reliable Mazda engines.. is this correct?
Look at Scotty Kilmer's YouTube channel. He shows a Fiat 500 Abarth with the same 1.4L engine, going strong at 165k miles. The multiair design is as good as any Honda vtec, btw! Just be sure you change the oil every 5k or so. Timing belt by 80-85k, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You said "Italian" like it was a bad thing. Like Italians make crappy stuff. Like Italians are a bunch of swarthy, pizza spinning fools incapable of making anything reliable enough to win Lemans, or Daytona or Formula One for instance. Kinda like the way Italians talk about American cars and American stuff. Italians car brands include Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Pagani, Alfa Romeo and finally, sadly . . . Fiat. The redheaded stepchild whose ancestry you question. You want to buy one but . . . . its Italian. Like you were gonna marry the girl . . . but you heard she was a gypsy . . . . Is it true you ask? Is she a gypsy? The answer is yes, she is a gypsy. And we here are all Gypsy lovers. Maybe we are the wrong people to ask.
I'm loving my 2018 Lusso gypsy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is this engine in the Spider 124 the same engine as the Jeep Renegade? I am concerned about the reliabilty of at Italian made Fiat engine. My mechanice says the Fiat Engine in the Renegade is horrible. So. although this Spider is actually produced by Mazda in Japan.. it does NOT have the reliable Mazda engines.. is this correct?
I’m a mechanic and I purchased a 2016 automatic for my wife and she drives it sensibly without any problems. We added the “muffler delete” (no muffler straight pipe) for nice rumble. Always idle the engine for a minute before shutting it to let the turbo cool off before shutting off the engine. No issues. However some people drive the car hard, redline the engine All the time ( mostly manual transmission drivers) and of course this kind of treatment will damage any engine. I enjoy driving this car More than my corvette. With the top down on a country road it’s so enjoyable. Italian fun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Look at Scotty Kilmer's YouTube channel. He shows a Fiat 500 Abarth with the same 1.4L engine, going strong at 165k miles. The multiair design is as good as any Honda vtec, btw! Just be sure you change the oil every 5k or so. Timing belt by 80-85k, etc.
Exactly! Drive the car like a normal human and you will have fun. Doing donuts in a parking is not a good thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ha Ha! Exactly!
The buffoonery of buffoons smoking tires in a circle after hours in a parking lot is sheer
madness. Where I live here in Texas the events are epic. Some people sitting still and reving their engines to the limit just to hear “pop..pop..pop..” is lunacy. I love everything fast, I even have “Lunatic Fringe” emboldened on the side of my BMW K1200S motorcycle but I hate seeing machinery abused.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
It all comes from LA COMMEDIA DELL'ARTE
We're expressive people, maybe a little loud but it's what we are.
As they say, there're 2 types of people ITALIANS and those that want to be ITALIANS. lol

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
819 Posts
Father's parents came over from Italy, Mother's parents came from Great Britain. Maybe that explains my love for British and Italian cars, and why reliability wasn't ever the first concern when buying a sports car - passion, style, the smell of leather, the sound of exhaust, . . . On and on. I dealt with hot oil dripping on my foot from the leaking oil pressure gauge, broken spokes on the wire wheels, rough running in the rain, coolant leaks due to really cheap hose clamps, broken clutch cables . . . I loved every minute of owning the Sunbeam, MG, and all the Fiats. Passion for the cars. s

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Lusso Red Top Edition, Automatic, Fashion Gray, Ivory Interior, Bordeaux Top
1,612 Posts
My father was American and my mother was American. I did the DNA test and it came back: American.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts