Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really just a conversation starter as much as anything else.

As a newbie to the forum, I like to chat, lol.

If folks don't like these types of posts, simply considering them worthless clutter, just let me know.

So, for those of you who keep your baby garaged, as my cars are, do you keep your top up or down specifically... or just in whatever form it was when you pulled in?

Top down... do you worry about creepy crawlies getting in? Not sure top up could really keep out a determined spider anyway, lol.

Here in FL we have little lizards and frogs in/around our garages.

If you keep it down, and it's down for the vast majority of your driving as well, can that "hurt" your top in any way? Like could it shrink up from almost never being "stretched" to close?

I do know better than to keep it closed if it's wet, say from a rainstorm, or washing, but when it's dry?

Once, I left the windows in my Mustang down, only to get in the next morning into a web... so I'm thinking I'd always keep the top up due to that experience, lol.

Vandalism? How concerned are/were you regarding slashed/vandalized tops?

I once worked at a place that abutted a motel that the government subsidized 3 week stays for the homeless, had tons of homeless living in the surrounding woods. They'd come out every morning and afternoon asking folks for money. I hated parking there with was, at the time, my brand new Mustang... I left for that very reason in less than 3 months.

My point... one can't always guarantee the safety of where one will park.

It's actually a reason that I'm considering a Miata RF... though for the most part I'm leaning soft top, 124.

Just curious as to thoughts from owners... or anyone really, lol.

Thanks.

Take care,
Lou

·
Registered
233 Posts
I drive 99% top down (I stay inside on bad weather days) but always put the top up but not latched when in the garage. A gecko dropped inside one day but couldn't find him, dead or alive, must have found his way out.

It's also easier to get in and out as I can't open the doors wide enough in my single garage. Another reason is that I don't like keeping the springs under compression/extension all the time so give them time to adjust when she's sleeping. Not sure if it makes a difference but I like to think so.

Reactions: Goaterguy

·
Registered
156 Posts
Top up if I'm parked for more than a few minutes. This includes work and home garage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The compressed spring thing makes sense, (everything you said does actually), same reason you don't leave a gun/rifle magazine always loaded... springs get fatigued and may not expand and feed ammo correctly... maybe not the best analogy, but similar in scope.
I drive 99% top down (I stay inside on bad weather days) but always put the top up but not latched when in the garage. A gecko dropped inside one day but couldn't find him, dead or alive, must have found his way out.

It's also easier to get in and out as I can't open the doors wide enough in my single garage. Another reason is that I don't like keeping the springs under compression/extension all the time so give them time to adjust when she's sleeping. Not sure if it makes a difference but I like to think so.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
In garage and parked anywhere top up. Not sure why I would leave the cabin open for people/ animals when parked when it takes 2 seconds to top up. That is the beauty of it surely.

I have left it down when sitting next to the car at the coast/ beach etc. But not left alone.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Now, if I lived somewhere where the Alligators, Snakes or Redback Spiders where going to invade then I think it would be Hood Up, however..Cornwall UK is not known for such things so...My hood stays down day and night, lovely spring, summer and autumn days, BUT...I RAISE IT every few days to keep the material stretched, have always done this since early 1970's when plastic and cheap canvas would crack / shrink, now it's just a good habit and easy enough to do and allow inspection on a regular basis. Vandalism /theft....depends where you live and how your luck is, locals here are safe, holiday spots not so safe for either, so going to the pub for a lunch and pint I park where I can see and admire the Spider, Shopping HOOD UP and if it gets slashed...insurance. You cannot and should not worry about something that will spoil your enjoyment / stop you doing it. Cheers
ron

·
Registered
316 Posts
Top up, windows up in my garage. I'm in TX, where summers also get brutally hot, but my biggest concern is the potential creasing the top if it's folded for extended periods of time.. Pearl is almost 4 years old, and the top still looks new. My two cents.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Top/windows up when I'm not driving in. Got creepy crawlies in the garage that I'd like to keep out of the cabin. To AnClar's point, keep the fabric taut. But speaking to spring tension, isn't there potential fatigue on the top mechanism with it down? How else would it pop up when the center console handle is lifted?

·
Premium Member
2018 Abarth
76 Posts
I may be wrong (usually am... :) ) but I don't think there's any springs in the top. I think the way it pops up when the release lever is pulled is just a function of the top being compressed down into the stowed position.

My car's a Daily, and she lives outside. I was worried about my top being vandalized at first, but it seems way more likely that someone would just smash a window to get in. That's the primary break-in method around here. To help alleviate some concerns, I just make sure nothing of value is visible sitting in the cabin when I leave the car parked.

As far as running errands and maybe popping in to a store; if it's just a quick trip, I'll leave the top down and put the windows up. If she's going to sit for longer than about 10 minutes though, I lock her up nice and tight.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Top and windows up in garage. Keeps bugs, lizards and similar critters out of the car. A 4 inch lizard won’t hurt you, but if he suddenly darts around the cockpit he WILL scare the crap out of you😊

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A buddy of mine years ago, driving home from work, (pick up truck parked outside at his construction site), pulled his sun visor down.

Something fell from it, flashed past his vision, and he said he FELT it land in his lap.

He looked down and it was a big spider. He said do you know how F'ing big a spider is to FEEL it through your jeans when it lands in your lap?

He slammed on the brakes, pulled to the side of the road, and jumped out, lol.

Message received... just as I currently do after once leaving my windows down when parked in my garage, then sitting into a spider's web the next morning... windows up, top up, force field on. :)

Top and windows up in garage. Keeps bugs, lizards and similar critters out of the car. A 4 inch lizard won’t hurt you, but if he suddenly darts around the cockpit he WILL scare the crap out of you😊

·
Premium Member
‘18 Abarth 124Spider
90 Posts
I owned another convertible before in Miami and no issued with vandalism. Not sure this type of thing happens very often, but just my 2¢.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Any time I'm not in it driving, the top and windows are both up, and the doors locked. If I'm in an area that I have more concern about, I also put on the steering wheel club as a deterrant. Most importantly, I leave absolutely nothing visible (on the seats, on the floor) that might attrack someone to consider a quick smash and grab.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Guess I'm in the minority. If it's driving season I generally leave the top down when it's in the garage at home, unless I know it's going to be more than a couple of days before I drive it. Never really had any critter problems around here in any vehicle I've owned in 43 years of driving.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
A buddy of mine years ago, driving home from work, (pick up truck parked outside at his construction site), pulled his sun visor down.

Something fell from it, flashed past his vision, and he said he FELT it land in his lap.

He looked down and it was a big spider. He said do you know how F'ing big a spider is to FEEL it through your jeans when it lands in your lap?

He slammed on the brakes, pulled to the side of the road, and jumped out, lol.

Message received... just as I currently do after once leaving my windows down when parked in my garage, then sitting into a spider's web the next morning... windows up, top up, force field on. :)
Side story; I was landing a small Cessna on the downwind leg when this giant spider started crawling up the dash...talk about yet another thing to worry about to avoid 'crashing'!

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Guess I'm in the minority. If it's driving season I generally leave the top down when it's in the garage at home, unless I know it's going to be more than a couple of days before I drive it. Never really had any critter problems around here in any vehicle I've owned in 43 years of driving.
Similarly, I leave the top down unless I know i'm going to be storing/parking it for more than a few weeks. It's currently been in the garage 2 weeks now with top down.

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,820 Posts
I may be wrong (usually am... :) ) but I don't think there's any springs in the top.
There is a wound clock spring in each side mount that assists in the pop up. I just disassembled them 2 weeks ago to remove the hoops and top from those mounts and put them back in to attach to the roll bar.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pretty sure I'd have just said F it, pointed the plane straight down, and gone full throttle... I'm scared to death of spiders... says the guy considering buying a car called a spider, lol.
Side story; I was landing a small Cessna on the downwind leg when this giant spider started crawling up the dash...talk about yet another thing to worry about to avoid 'crashing'!

·
Registered
949 Posts
As if our local spider population needs another haunt.

I generally leave the top down when the Spider is in our garage. Out-and-about, I close it to prevent theft (sunglasses, etc.) and damage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts