Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Convertible Top Adjustment

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  skant 
#1 ·
Howdy folks. Are there any 124 owners in the Austin area that can recommend a good dealer/shop to adjust the convertible top? I suspect my car has always had a top issue (bought used with 2600 mlles) and I think it needs adjusting. It doesn't seem very tight around the sides when up, and the back windows moves around visibly at highway speeds. Also, the inside of the top rests against the roll hoops. The two bars across the top are very close together on my car and I suspect that's why the top is not tight.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Howdy folks. Are there any 124 owners in the Austin area that can recommend a good dealer/shop to adjust the convertible top? I suspect my car has always had a top issue (bought used with 2600 mlles) and I think it needs adjusting. It doesn't seem very tight around the sides when up, and the back windows moves around visibly at highway speeds. Also, the inside of the top rests against the roll hoops. The two bars across the top are very close together on my car and I suspect that's why the top is not tight.

Your car should be under warranty still, take it to a dealership and get it fixed.

#3 ·

When I first purchased my car I had a portion of the top above the backlight droop down. I was able to push it back in place . I could feel a pop as it went back into place. I don’t know, if this is what has happened to your top. The description you give is very much like what I experienced. If the fabric is drooping above the back light, push it upwards until it snaps back into place. It this doesn’t work, a visit to the dealer is the next step.

Dan

#5 ·
I have an appointment with Nyle Maxwell on Saturday; hopefully it's something they will be able to do. Quite frankly, I'm petrified of dealerships as they never seem to fix my cars and trucks, or if they do, the manage to break something else while fixing the first problem. Never dealt with Maxwell. Let's hope they're good folks. Just in case, though, I'll flash the CPU back to stock and block off the USB ports on the CMU so my CarPlay doesn't get munged. Who knows, they may be fantastic - I'll report back....

#8 ·
Called the dealer today to get a status report on the convertible top as there has been no communication since Saturday. They have looked at the top and found that there was a TSB for the specific issue I have; they have parts on order and hopefully I'll be back in business soon.

#9 ·
Way back, when the Earth was young (December 5, 2020) I took the Abarth in for what I though might be a simple adjustment to the convertible top (the material looked “saggy” with the top up.) There was previous evidence of the top rubbing slightly on the roll hoops, but the top itself was in excellent shape. When I called my service writer Melanie up today for a status report, she informed me that the dealership was ordering me an entirely new top and roll hoop covers. Holy COW I didn’t see that one coming. Looks like the parts are scheduled to be delivered around 12/22, so it will likely be around the New Year when I get my Spider back; I’m getting withdrawal symptoms, I think. I kinda miss that little car!

#10 ·
Okay, I'm kinda wanting my car back. It will be one long month on Jan 5. Can't really blame the dealer as it's just a matter of parts coming in. Dealer has been great so far, and even hooked me up with a sweet little loaner (see pic), which, while quite fun to drive, just isn't MY car.

Attachments

#11 ·
Dec 5, 2020 - January 8, 2021 and the Spider is BACK baby! I took it in for what I thought would be a simple top adjustment and ended up getting an entirely new top and roll hoop covers. I spoke with the guy who actually did the work briefly this morning (sorry I didn't get his name) and the quality of the repair is perfect. No missing parts, no squeaks or rattles, fantastic fit and all the plastic clips are back in place properly, including the area behind the seats and in the trunk. Very nice job, Nyle Maxwell Fiat. Also, a big thanks to Melanie (my service advisor) for keeping me up-to-date on the project and also to Taylor for procuring the SWEET Alfa Giulia loaner (that thing has the BEST steering of any car I've ever driven.) I only wish I had the opportunity to drive it more. It's good to have the Spider back, though. And the top fits better than I've ever seen it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.