Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
5 minute epoxy should work, I'm guessing. But I can't picture how they mount.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Looking at the photos, I've got a feeling I know how the mechanic will re-install them. It looks like the two little "buttons" on the finger pull cup aren't doing their job for some reason. My money says adhesive, epoxy or otherwise. He'll probably lay a bead of adhesive around the lip of the finger cup and adhere it to the edge of the opening where the cup is inserted. This would be the quick fix Brenton was looking for. Either way, I'd be curious to know what the final repair was.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
If it won't even go in, I would say that the handles were not put in properly/completely: there should be (what I imagine) a solid ridge on one side of the handle and the two flexible catches on the other side (as shown in the picture).

The solid ridge should be placed in so that it clips over the solid framework, then the flexible catches pushed in so the handles than lock solidly in place. If you look at the flexible catches, you can see the wear where it was probably only gripped in with friction, and has gradually worn down, so that now it won't stay in place, and is also now difficult to get the catch locked into place in the hood frame.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you attempt a fix yourself by applying glue/epoxy it could void the warranty for any future issues with the handles and perhaps other top related issues that may occur. Let a Fiat dealer do the job.....

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I am currently waiting for a call from the dealership to see if they can take care of it today or tomorrow morning. I will let you guys know what they do. I feel like they will have to replace my current ones though. Do they usually keep things like that around?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could someone please take a picture of theirs? I'm trying to see if they were installed backwards. Seems likely to me.
I've only had my 124 for about three weeks now, but I have noticed that my roof handles seem to be strangely loose. I didn't think too much about it and assumed they were just supposed to be that way.

At work currently, so I just ran out to take a few pics for ya and if you apply just a little bit of pressure towards the windshield (when the roof is up) and then pull slightly downwards, they pop right out. Reverse to get them back in. It looks like they have a little 'lip' on the side facing the windshield (when the roof is up) and two small clips holding them in place on the other side.

Here are the few pics I got.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've only had my 124 for about three weeks now, but I have noticed that my roof handles seem to be strangely loose. I didn't think too much about it and assumed they were just supposed to be that way.

At work currently, so I just ran out to take a few pics for ya and if you apply just a little bit of pressure towards the windshield (when the roof is up) and then pull slightly downwards, they pop right out. Reverse to get them back in. It looks like they have a little 'lip' on the side facing the windshield (when the roof is up) and two small clips holding them in place on the other side.

Here are the few pics I got.
Mine are backwards! Hahaha! That's how the came though!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
If you attempt a fix yourself by applying glue/epoxy it could void the warranty for any future issues with the handles and perhaps other top related issues that may occur. Let a Fiat dealer do the job.....

Paul
Agreed. Attempt the warranty fix first. The dealer should replace the part(s), if they are defective. I wouldn't accept a glue job by the dealer. That's not the way it came from the factory.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Mine are backwards! Hahaha! That's how the came though!
So if yours were backwards, will putting them back in the right way solve your issue, and avoid a dealer trip?

If the dealer deems replacement is the way to go, it is a sure bet these are not stock parts, therefore another trip to the dealer for installation. The big question: Will they be installed correctly this time, or will the installing tech replicate the way they are now....such a simple issue with so many pitfalls....I would avoid the whole mess and try to solve the issue personally....just my 2c's....I'm guessing some 3M double sticky tape strategically placed would work wonders.....the less the monkeys fool with it the better you will be....

·
Registered
211 Posts
The part number printed on the back of the handle is a mazda part number so you can bet it is the same one used in the ND Miatas. I scoured their forum and could not find any threads about the part falling out.
Considerring the number of ND miata's out there, if this was an issue we would have heard about it by now.

I suspect the part was simply installed backwards from the get go and that is why it fell out.
Put it in the correct way and it will probably stay in.

http://www.mazdabestpartsonline.com...&cat3=2DR+Sport+Convertible&cat4=2.0L+6AT+RWD

And if you need a new one, and don't want to bother with a Fiat dealership trip, maybe you can find a closer mazda dealer. The part is way cheaper at mazda than a tank of gas to get to fiat!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm reviving this thread because my driver's side fell out today.

Mine are oriented in the way that the deeper portion of the handle is towards the front of the car. This makes sense since that's the direction you pull the top when putting it up.

Here's the thing, I went to pop it back in, but I accidentally put it the wrong way around. Noticing my error, I went to remove the thing and it was jammed in there quite badly. Would not budge. It took a lot of prying to get it out, all the little plastic tabs were either broken or warn down to nothing. I must have done a number on it because it will not stay in at all anymore.

So I typed in the part number on the back of the handle.

Mazda part #N243-R1-331.
$7.59

So off to the nearest Mazda dealer about 5km away and ordered the part with the change I had in my pocket. But I'm curious, I searched for the part on all the fiat part supplier websites, and they all list what appears to be the same part but with the Fiat part number and jacked up price tag.

Fiat part #68314960aa
$28.46

The diagram is the same. It's showing the same piece. But the part that fell out of my car has a Mazda part number on it. If someone were to order the Fiat part from a dealer, would the dealer just ship them the Mazda part or would the more expensive part actually have the Fiat part number stamped on it and differ somewhat from the Mazda piece?

·
Registered
792 Posts
It will probably come as the same Mazda part in a Fiat / FCA / Mopar plastic bag with a label showing the Fiat part number

·
Registered
254 Posts
I picked up the new handle from Mazda last week and yes, it is the exact same piece.

I want to offer some advice to anyone installing one. The reason they fall out is because they were installed carelessly. The clips can easily be damaged causing them the sit loose.

The deeper part of the handle is what should be facing the front of the car. You have to angle in the front facing portion first before pressing in the rear portion. If you try to just push it in straight, you will chew up the clips that hold it in place and it will likely just fall out again.

Mine is in rock solid now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts