Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my 124 Abarth for about four months, with 3000+ miles on it, but I put the top up and down at least once a day. It seems to me that the top does not spring up as much when I unlock it from the open position as it did originally. Its getting pretty hard to reach back and grab it to pull it into the closed position. Does anyone else have this sense?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I am having the same issue.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the Miata forum, figuring they must be having the same issues. The thread that seemed most on point suggested that it wasn't a degradation of the spring over time but how long the top had been open before trying to close it. The theory was that the spring gets compressed over the time it is open, so that when unlatching it, the spring only pushes the top up a little way. The claim was that if you had the top closed for a period of time, then opened it, and then unlatched it shortly thereafter, the spring would push the top higher up.
I leave my top open when I park my car in my garage overnight, and then I close the top the next day when I park in my employer's lot, so that might be consistent with their theory. I will close the top tonight when I go home and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i personally think the tops just breaks in and will pop up a bit less after the break in period.
I dont have the car but i think the spring loosing some of its strength i think if you dont want to keep pressure on the spring its better keep the roof closed when you parked the car at night so the spring wont be compressed under stress all the time ....naturally it will loose some of its springines over time anyway

·
Registered
206 Posts
My concern at least from my experience is how much the top's METALLIC latch is scratching the PLASTIC area around where it fastens, both on the top side near the windshield, and the bottom side visible with the top up through the rear window.

Those two plastic bits should have some better surface, possibly metallic.

If the engineers are worried about rattling they could have put a teflon bumper in there. Replaceable for 1$...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Mine doesn't pop up as much as when it was new, but it has settled down. Still not difficult to put up. But as noted above, the surface on the plastic trim where the catch fastens it closed is showing some scratches.

·
Registered
483 Posts
perhaps for those of you who leave the top down for prolonged periods of time, it would be prudent to pop the top up from the stowed position and leave it partially stowed. this should release the pressure from the spring, and all you need to do is push it down into the fully stowed position when you return and are ready to drive again.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My concern at least from my experience is how much the top's METALLIC latch is scratching the PLASTIC area around where it fastens, both on the top side near the windshield, and the bottom side visible with the top up through the rear window.

Those two plastic bits should have some better surface, possibly metallic.

If the engineers are worried about rattling they could have put a teflon bumper in there. Replaceable for 1$...
I have found that I can just rub away the marks on the plastic at the top of the windshield.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Three months and 4k miles, I am having the same issue. I am considering adding a spring or foam rubber somewhere to add rebound. I drive with the top down MOST of the time and this is my commuter car. I do not want to have to do the 180 degree every time I put the top up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I checked last night after work and it has rubbed the head rest guard in the past as there are scuff-marks, but moving it by hand up and down as I stand by the car it doesn't rub. Maybe it's because the roof panel "flexes" as it's pushed down awkwardly as we're sitting on the drivers' seat and rubs then.

Whatever it is there should be more play there, no reason for it to be THAT close to the rollbar headguard thing. If they moved the headguard 1/4" towards the front the problem would not exist.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts