Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the north east; cold and snow for 4-6 mos. of the year. I don't usually drive aggressively but enjoy it sometimes, and I want tires to hold me on the road. Tire Rack specifies that performance summer tires should not be driven until the tires reach 40F which I obey, and quit driving when the weather dictates.
I could extend my driving season with tires that did not have the temperature restriction.
I want a performance tire, and not a generic all weather tire. Anybody have recommendation?

Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't drive my 124 in snow at all but deal with cold weather. One of the things I like about the OEA Bridgestone's is that they are a solid three season tire that doesn't get hard and greasy until well below freezing. I can't say the same for the Pilot Super Sports I've run in the past. Early reports on Continental Extreme Contact Sport suggest they handle sub 40degree temps much better than the pilots. I plan to give them a try next.

For ultra high performance all seasons I've run BFG Comp-2 A/S on a previous MX-5 and have been very pleased. Still wouldn't run UHP A/S tires in much more than a dusting of snow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 is my favorite all season with great dry weather performance.

The problem I've noticed with 3 season summer tires below 40 F is diminished grip. You do get some heat into the tread from driving but I try to be extra careful. Also 3 season tires in cold Winter weather could be illegal in some places as they're definitely not ideal.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I had the OEM's out in dry but cold 20 degree weather and they really weren't happy. Switched over to my winter Blizzaks and we're now on a run of record high temps....

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've got 16" Nokian WR-D4s on for winter. Had some cold wet weather recently and once I'd worn them in they're gripping pretty well below 6C but don't like it when things warm up to 10C+. Its been fluctuating between freezing and almost 15C but should be staying on the cold wet side until at least March. I had a fun cross-country run across Woodhead and down through the Peak district due to the M1 being as good as closed on Friday night while I was trying to get from Leeds to the South West. Dark, raining and approaching freezing with no grip problems, I'm glad the lights are good and follow the corners.

I've got the tyres on a set of 16" Dezent TI rims because they weren't too expensive and I could get them supplied balanced and with the tyres fitted.

·
Registered
662 Posts
... Early reports on Continental Extreme Contact Sport suggest they handle sub 40degree temps much better than the pilots. I plan to give them a try next...
I run the Continental ContiProContacts year round on my 500L. They are a good tire, I would describe them as an all season performance tire. They even handle snow fairly well.

Reactions: Godina

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm watching all of these winter tire threads as this is all new to me.

I'm just north of NYC and my roundtrip commute is 15 miles. I won't drive it in the snow but plan on commuting in it through the winter. I was hoping to get through my first winter on the stock tires but it sounds like cold weather (and not just snow) is not a wise choice for these tires.

Last year it snowed 3 times and wasn't cold at all. I guess I'll let global warming dictate my winter tire choices.

Thanks all for your insight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm watching all of these winter tire threads as this is all new to me.
I managed to slide my previous car (Audi TT, FWD version) around in cold wet weather - no snow or ice involved, just rain and sub 5C temperatures. In a lighter RWD car I don't want to run the risk of the rear end trying to get past the front end because its a tad slippery. My drive to work is mostly on motorways and I don't really want that happening on there or on the roundabouts on the entrance/exit.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I managed to slide my previous car (Audi TT, FWD version) around in cold wet weather - no snow or ice involved, just rain and sub 5C temperatures. In a lighter RWD car I don't want to run the risk of the rear end trying to get past the front end because its a tad slippery. My drive to work is mostly on motorways and I don't really want that happening on there or on the roundabouts on the entrance/exit.
Understood, thanks.
Mine is all local roads and in real inclement weather my wife will pinch hit. Those two things combined with the unpredictable NY winters is keeping me on the fence.

Plus, I'd rather spend the money on Spring modifications :eek:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
3 season tires should not be used below 40 degrees I believe.
Problem we're having at the moment is a large chunk of the day is below 40 and a large chunk is above. If I go for a drive in to the mountains this weekend I could see a 50 degree swing in temps.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Sounds like Texas!

Problem we're having at the moment is a large chunk of the day is below 40 and a large chunk is above. If I go for a drive in to the mountains this weekend I could see a 50 degree swing in temps.
The last winter season I had my Miata was pretty cold in the mornings and late afternoon. I was using BFG Comp2 tires and they were spooky during my short commute to work. I was fortunate to be close to work, but the tires never warmed up. I have put performance AS tires on the wife's S60, and she feels good with them. Much more stable than the Miata.
I think either snow tires or as a compromise , performance AS tires are a good idea as circumstances dictate. Last January was my first cold season on the Abarth, and I felt more secure on the RE050e than those BFGs. We'll see how this season progresses.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was looking for a performance tire for my Abarth and was considering the the Pilot Super Sports which I had on my previous Miata.
But as I started researching the max performance summer tires I came across this quote on the Tire Rack website when describing the Continental Extremecontact Sport and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

"Note:: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

I live on the west coast of Canada and this quote concerned me.

As a guy that doesn't want to check the temperature and forcast everyday before I head out, I decided an Ultra High Performance All Season tire would be better suited to my needs. I won't be taking it out in snow storms but I know that on the colder mornings it won't be scary, and I won't be doing any permanent damage to the tire.
Got the Pirelli Pzero+ all season 215/45/17 and am very happy with them.

Those of you lucky enough to drive year round above 40F can ignore this post. ;)

·
Registered
461 Posts
@ jpwfz6 - Thanks, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for.
Certainly pushes the needle towards replacing the stock tires for the winter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish to say thanks to all posters, your information has led me to all-season ultra performance tires as my daily year round tire. I am partial to Continental and Michelin, but will eventually choose a tire from this category. Changing tires will add at least one month of the year to my spider driving experience based on this years weather in WNY. Winter driving stops when salt hits the road!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I'm a big fan of Continental DWS.

Reactions: Godina
1 - 18 of 18 Posts