Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Cool down time?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  MiniDreamCar 
#1 ·
I used to own a Dodge Daytona Turbo Z CS and part of caring for the turbo meant making sure the last few minutes of driving was nice and easy followed by about 30 seconds of idle to let the turbo spin down while there was still oil and coolant flowing around the turbo housing.

I've looked through the manual and can't find anything related to this. Are these things no longer necessary?

Thanks,

Larry

'79 FIAT Spider 2000 | '79 FIAT X1/9 | '18 FIAT 124 Spider

#3 ·
Thanks @murix. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I've gotten in the habit of letting the engine idle while I put the top and windows up and grab my stuff to get out of the car. Or just let it idle for about 30 seconds before shutting the engine off if I'm parking the car with the top down.

Larry

#4 ·
My father in law had a Saab turbo that had a turbo failure inside the warranty back in the late 90's. Back then the turbo had no cool down period and would "coke", essentially fry the residual oil in the bearing. That's why all these cars wound up in the junkyard. Our car has a continued cool-down after you shut it off that will avoid this. I'm a few blocks off the main road, so am at 30mph or less for a few minutes that allows a cool down if I've been flogging the car. Not usually! If you treat your car like a horse, that is, the last mile or so needs to be at a walk. You never run your horse back to the barn. Or your 124!
best regards
Pete

#5 ·
Here’s a thought: where is that pump, and what happens if it fails? I’m sure it’s fused, also.

#6 ·
Come on man, this car is less than 3 years old! No need for amy of that “cooldown” or take it easy kinda stuff! >:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.