Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So guys... just got back from trip to Advance Auto running down Toll Road at 70MPH , top down, everything ok, including coolant level.

Park into my garage, and hear the little pump come on to cool down the turbo. So I open the hood to look at this happening, and to cool my engine faster, and notice there is practically ZERO coolant in the tank. There is enough for the pump to cool the turbo, but I open the over flow cap and with a flashlight look down into the tank and it is well below the "L" level.

I did notice some "GREEN Evaporated" crud around the cap of the overflow cap. I had some Zerex HOAT coolant left over, so I filled up the coolant tank to just below the 'F"., leaving room for expansion.

So my question is: Do you think I inatveraterly left the overflow cap unsecured and the coolant just evaporated?
Or since I filled it up, do you think after it cools tonight, I will wake up to coolant all over my garage floor??

I checked the oil, and it looked brand new and full to to top with no signs of water in the oil.

Or do you guys have any other theories as to where my coolant went???
thanks
Not Sure.:(:(

·
Registered
479 Posts
how many miles are on the car? has it been run for an extended amount of time before or is this the first time? did you allow time to elapse before moving the car and checked for leaks? was anything wet beneath the hood? this could be a coolant burp... sometimes there is a air pocket in a cooling system which needs to heat up expand and burp out, causing the coolant from the overflow tank to disappear when it is sucked into the pressurized portion of the cooling system.....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

how many miles are on the car? has it been run for an extended amount of time before or is this the first time? did you allow time to elapse before moving the car and checked for leaks? was anything wet beneath the hood? this could be a coolant burp... sometimes there is a air pocket in a cooling system which needs to heat up expand and burp out, causing the coolant from the overflow tank to disappear when it is sucked into the pressurized portion of the cooling system.....
Car has little over 3,200 miles.. This was the first time I ran it today...No I did not check for leaks and I did not notice anything on garage floor.

Nothing wet under the hood. Never heard of coolant burp. Do you think when it cools tonight, it will refill the tank, or even overflow the tank???

Im going out there right now and take a peek under the hood and see if everything looks alright.
thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, just went out to garage and everything looking good. Nothing on the garage floor, and nothing wet around the engine at all.

The coolant level in exactly filled at the same spot i filled it to with the Zerex. I'll keep an eye on it and just hope it was me leaving the overflow cap unsecured, thus causing rapid evaporation.

Thanks, Radass623... NOt Sure.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I would be concerned as to if the motor is burning coolant.

·
Registered
879 Posts
OK, just went out to garage and everything looking good. Nothing on the garage floor, and nothing wet around the engine at all.

The coolant level in exactly filled at the same spot i filled it to with the Zerex. I'll keep an eye on it and just hope it was me leaving the overflow cap unsecured, thus causing rapid evaporation.

Thanks, Radass623... NOt Sure.
Not Sure:
Coolant does not evaporate rapidly, it is a fairly oily mixture, kinda, and resists evaporation. In my experience, any coolant loss I've come across was never due to evaporation.

Most likely scenario would be a loose cap as you alluded too, or as others have stated, a stubborn air pocket which eventually worked it's way out. BTW, coolant level in the plastic tank will DROP as the engine cools down since the coolant contracts as it gets colder.

I would check the coolant level under the same conditions each time, i.e. with the engine cold before start up, or hot after a run. If you see the same level, then things are OK. Since you don't see any puddles, or wet areas under the hood, or steam escaping when the engine is hot, my guess is that you'll be OK. Keep checking it regularly till you establish a baseline level.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Any other tell tale signs?? Thanks.
generally the tell tale signs of coolant burning is a sweet smelling exhaust. there may be a bit of white smoke. an engine burning coolant is generally a part of a catastrophic failure. best case scenario is a head gasket failure. the other culprits are usually a cracked head or block. my advice would be to continue to drive the car, and monitor the coolant levels. if nothing seems to change (for the worst) keep on driving...

·
Registered
879 Posts
generally the tell tale signs of coolant burning is a sweet smelling exhaust. there may be a bit of white smoke. an engine burning coolant is generally a part of a catastrophic failure. best case scenario is a head gasket failure. the other culprits are usually a cracked head or block. my advice would be to continue to drive the car, and monitor the coolant levels. if nothing seems to change (for the worst) keep on driving...
And keep a keen eye on the temp. gauge.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. Thanks to all for replying and the good tips..I'll be vigilant and keep an eye on everything..

Not Sure,,Austin,

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have a question for those of you who have experience with this engine concerning coolant use.

I now have 3 cars using this engine, 2 of them turbocharged. At the end of every summer, coolant level is at the minimum level when cold... All three cars! I have to top each one off every year.

Has anyone else had this experience? I am curious just how common this is.

I am not at all worried about this, especially since it is happening to all 3 of my cars. My best guess is that it is that the coolant loss is related to operating at higher summer temperatures. These cars have a lot less coolant in them compared to what cars had years ago. A smaller amount of fluid, operating at a higher temperature, in a lower volume system... Perhaps results in more expansion in the tank in hot weather and more venting of fluid. Just a guess.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Keep an eye on the overflow hose, not the pressure cap but the other cap, there's a small hose attached, check it, also check if any cracks in the plastic tank. When car heats up hot fluids tend to expand, so see if any air line cracks in the tank.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thanks Frank, but there is no problem with the cooling systems... This small loss of coolant is occurring on all three of my Fiats. All three cars have the same 1.4L multi air engine. The cooling system's tank is slightly different on each car.

I change the oil this time of year so I don't have to change it in the middle of the bitter cold winter... I check the rest of the fluids when I change the oil... Every year I wind up topping off the coolant.

I suspect that this is a common "quirk" of this engine, and I wonder if anyone has experienced the same thing.

Besides, we need something to talk about, there hasn't been much activity on the forum lately...

·
Super Moderator
1,301 Posts
Your post prompted me to inspect my car. The tank had some green residue around the base of the filler neck. But the tank was full. Car was dead cold when I did this.
In the process of replacing the cap I noticed that the fit is more fussy than what I'm used to with metal to metal situations. It took more than one try to get it right and that's what I suspect is the issue. I cleaned around the filler neck and intend to check to see if it remains clean.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Checked mine today. Level was in the lower half of the low to high range. Ordered some of the Mazda FL22 pre-mix to top it off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts