Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 2018 spider (lusso) in for its 2 yr service. They found a coolant leak around the water pump. Anyone have this problem?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I just had my 2018 spider (lusso) in for its 2 yr service. They found a coolant leak around the water pump. Anyone have this problem?
Seems like the water pump leak has been reported a few times here.

·
Registered
305 Posts
After my road trip, and a cleaning, oops, a coolant leak, 2500 miles on a new 2018. Scheduled to go next Wednesday.

I also noticed a whining noise in sixth around 2300 rpms with just a little throttle. Not sure if it happens in other gears. Maybe related to water pump. Will keep posted.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The diagnosis.....the car needs a new water pump. Two days to get the part and a day to do the work. Must have been a bad bunch when the car was built.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I got my car back early. They put in a new thermostat along with the new water pump. Must have been a couple bad batches when my car was made.

Driving the car home, sunny, 48 degrees, top down, heater on. Is it me, or does the car seem faster with the top down.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Always faster with the top down :) I hardly ever drive with the top up and when I do I have to be careful with my speed, have looked at the speedometer with the top up and was doing well over 100 mph, for me it has to do with lack of wind noise

·
Registered
116 Posts
My 2018 Abarth is in now getting the water pump replaced. 13000km. I noticed my coolant level was low and could see green antifreeze pooling near the crank pulley.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Mine looks this way cold, and same after I ran in garage to normal temperature

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
The volume of coolant required to bring it from "L" halfway to "F" is about 70ml, not a lot but if you have to add it on a regular basis it could mean some leakage somewhere, usually the water pump as has been mentioned elsewhere.

I have the same issue and resolved to monitor and document it just in case a warranty claim is justified.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Topped up reservoir to "F" today. Took a bit more, another 120ml approximately. So it seems about 220ml takes it from "L" to "F".

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
that's exactly what mine looks like
i guess it's normal then?
I think if you overfill it, it will drain out of the overfill tube anyway. I say its normal, haven't had any issues. I will keep an eye on it

·
Registered
166 Posts
I took my 2018 Lusso out for a spin yesterday and noticed the coolant level was low. Couldn’t spot any seepage in the engine bay, but will take it in for a check. My car‘s build date is 11/17 and it sounds like this is a 2018 model year vehicle issue.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,443 Posts
I just took my water pump off Saturday while I was finishing up stripping the block. There is no gasket, just RTV to seal it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I initially didn't have any visible leakage of the ground, but could smell the coolant when I shut off the car, especially after a spirited run.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts