Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I just took my water pump off Saturday while I was finishing up stripping the block. There is no gasket, just RTV to seal it.
I prefer gaskets over RTV. I guess I like cleaner installs. I took the Rubicon to Moab last weekend and had to top off the coolant reservoir before I went. There and back was probably just over 250 miles. When I got back I noticed the reservoir was back down to half way again, and it's a much bigger reservoir than in the Spider. Quick inspection showed a possible gasket leak around the water pump. At least on a Jeep Wrangler a water pump install is a less than an hour job. Also broke a brake line there and had to limp home. If you have to you can drive without touching the brakes much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any 2017 models with pump issues?
I got a 2017 fiat spider abarth. I use it for my daily commute which uses a lot of miles. at 48,000miles I already got the cylinder head replaced and now I have an appointment to the dealer for a leak on my garage floor that seems like coolant.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have owned my 2018 Abarth for one year now. The water pump was replaced at 3,700 miles when leak stains appeared on my garage floor, and again 300 miles later after spilling the engine coolant at 12,000 ft in elevation.

It now has 6,600 miles; issue appears to have been resolved.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts