Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be flying in to Kansas City on Feb 20 to pick up my new '19 Lusso in ceramica gray metallic from Northtowne Fiat. (Airfare: $6.00 with my sky miles!) It has the saddle interior, and all the option packages, but has the manual trans...My dream car! I figure it is a 3 day drive back to So Cal. I hope the weather will be favorable, but it is a gamble with the midwest in February. I will take some backroads when possible and vary the revs for a solid break in. I may have to head all the way down to the I-10 if it is snowy. If it is clear, I would like to cut across Kansas and find my way to Santa Fe...then on to Flagstaff...then back to the San Fernando Valley. I've been driving pickup trucks since the dawn of time. This will be my weekend gentleman's roadster. Wish me luck y'all!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Very nice color

·
Registered
125 Posts
Your airfare was the same I paid for metro bus fares for my pickup: $6!
The Lusso is a beauty.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi and Welcome also.....Safe journey and ENJOY ! Cheers
ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey, so did you make it back home yet?? Also nice color combo, I was close to getting a Lusso in blue and saddle interior but dealer wouldn’t deal!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll be flying in to Kansas City on Feb 20 to pick up my new '19 Lusso in ceramica gray metallic from Northtowne Fiat. (Airfare: $6.00 with my sky miles!) It has the saddle interior, and all the option packages, but has the manual trans...My dream car! I figure it is a 3 day drive back to So Cal. I hope the weather will be favorable, but it is a gamble with the midwest in February. I will take some backroads when possible and vary the revs for a solid break in. I may have to head all the way down to the I-10 if it is snowy. If it is clear, I would like to cut across Kansas and find my way to Santa Fe...then on to Flagstaff...then back to the San Fernando Valley. I've been driving pickup trucks since the dawn of time. This will be my weekend gentleman's roadster. Wish me luck y'all!
Don't forget to bring a hat and... switch the heating seat on. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The weather forecast looks good at this point. I have decided to stay out of the Rockies. I plan on driving from K.C. to Dalhart, TX on day 1. Day 2 - Dalhart to Winslow AZ. Day 3 - Winslow to L.A. Each day approximately 500-550 miles. The first day will be on backroads. The rest mostly on I-40.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
This will be my weekend gentleman's roadster. Wish me luck y'all!
YES! This! You've got it, Buddy! This has been my proclamation for 3 years, that my car is a gentleman's roadster. I respect that this car is a lot of things to a lot of different folks here, from a daily commuter to a weekend racer to a backroad tourer, and people successfully make it their own with each purchase. But at its heart, this car is a gentleman's roadster. Congratulations with your purchase, and enjoy that ride home.

I'd suggestion reading through threads about dealer pre-delivery prep (whatever that official phrase is). There are a handful of things dealers should be doing, per Fiat, to make the car ready for purchaser pickup. Such as dropping the tire pressure down from the trans-ocean 50psi to the on-road 29psi. And inserting the two little underbody rubber plugs that are in a plastic bag along with the license plate mounts. Make sure you get at least one tow hook (some have gotten 2, some none), and the little emergency tire kit. There is no spare tire. And if you do not plan to mount a front license plate, absolutely insist that they do not even think of mounting the front plate frame. (Of course, if you are buying an inventory car, the plate mount may already be installed.) Doing so requires a few larger drill holes through the bumper, you won't be able to remove it afterward without living with those holes. I told my dealer, if they mount that plate frame, I'd walk away from the purchase, and I live in a state that requires the front plate.

Operate the conv. top a few times, from inside and outside, making sure it does not touch the roll bars behind the seats. It's a very close clearance to begin with, but several have been touching, damaging the canvas top and leaving rub marks on the roll bar covers. These have been warranty repairs.

Ameridan's 21st Century Spider site (he's a member here, too) covers these topics as well, he has a ton of info for you.
21st Century Fiat / Abarth 124 Spider

Lastly, when you get home change the motor oil and filter right away, replacing it with one of the oils that meet the Fiat/Chrysler spec, there is an authoritative thread or 2 covering this in the tech subforums on this board. There are also how-to threads on changing the oil and oil filter, check them out.

Enjoy the ride!
Steve.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Welcome! Car is a beauty, and the 124 Spider community is the best one i've been apart of since departing the VW/Audi world.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You got the exact same one as me, white Lusso with all three options. And most important- manual. Enjoy, I do every day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well today I drove from KC to Ticumcari NM. I'm a happy camper! It pulls well for passing. This is an awesome driving machine. Tomorrow I hope to make Kingman AZ...another 650 mile day.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Seems ages ago since we all welcomed you Buddy......Now it's happening, that grin you see every morningin the bathroom mirror now, it stays there all day, every day ! Ignore the folk who stare and think you need help, the ones who think you have wind and the girls and lady's that snarl or wink at you....You know and we know. Cheers
ron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts