Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock exhaust (AU) installed and while it sounds great, it delivers absolutely no cracks/pops. I know that the Monza exhaust is more likely to produce such sounds but I was wondering whether anyone gets that kind of sound from the stock system? Am I going to have to switch out the stock if I want that sound?

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Standard exhaust is "crackle and pop" free

·
Registered
560 Posts
Looks like I'll be paying a visit to my friendly dealer...
That Monza exhaust is very expensive - assuming you can get it. You might be better off looking at some of the vendors here - 500Madness, Good Win Racing, Auto Ricambi - to get a better exhaust at a much better price and have someone near you install it if you're not able to do it your self. I did that with the AR muffler delete resonated version - very happy with it. It's only the back portion, but it lets a few pops through along with a nice overall sound. Search the forum and you'll find videos of various exhausts so you can hear them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I'll be paying a visit to my friendly dealer...
That Monza exhaust is very expensive - assuming you can get it. You might be better off looking at some of the vendors here - 500Madness, Good Win Racing, Auto Ricambi - to get a better exhaust at a much better price and have someone near you install it if you're not able to do it your self. I did that with the AR muffler delete resonated version - very happy with it. It's only the back portion, but it lets a few pops through along with a nice overall sound. Search the forum and you'll find videos of various exhausts so you can hear them.
I will have to look into the warranty information here in Australia. I'm concerned other systems would void the warranty... I'd certainly prefer a cheaper system, but not at the cost of voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I will have to look into the warranty information here in Australia. I'm concerned other systems would void the warranty... I'd certainly prefer a cheaper system, but not at the cost of voiding the warranty.
I understand. At least in the states, the manufacturer has to be able to prove a modification caused an issue. Basically an intake or exhaust is not going to void a warranty. I verified this with my dealer, in fact, and a number of their staff had modified 500s so they are supportive. Some people have had issues with install problems on full exhausts where something else was damaged in the process. If all you are wanting is a better sound and a tad more power, a delete gets you a lot of that and all you are replacing is from the rear flange back - two bolts and slip it out of the hangers. Not much can go wrong there. As for the Monza exhaust - even though Mopar lists it they still show as unavailable. At least one person said it shows as discontinued. Hope that isn't the case.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a full straight through catback exhaust from Good-Win Racing, and my car doesn't even pop that much. I don't think we'll get any significant popping or crackling until we get a catless downpipe.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I've got the Good-win midpipe with resonator and muffler delete installed (don't have the crosspipe installed yet), and it barks and growls and pops and sounds mean and nasty the way it should. I've gotten some crazy loud pops when suddenly letting off WOT at high rpm. It burbles nicely when coasting off throttle. Sounds insane.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the same experience as Shark with the GWR exhaust. I suspect my pops are a bit louder with the crosspipe added in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got the Good-win midpipe with resonator and muffler delete installed (don't have the crosspipe installed yet), and it barks and growls and pops and sounds mean and nasty the way it should. I've gotten some crazy loud pops when suddenly letting off WOT at high rpm. It burbles nicely when coasting off throttle. Sounds insane.
I'd search, but I'm on mobile right now - do you have a video of your system?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Personally, I'm trying to decide what exhaust I want, too. My old 82 Fiat had a custom exhaust which burbled and growled like a roadster should. I miss that.

I'm leaning towards the GWR exhaust: they have done a good job of fine tuning and testing it, appear to have consistent quality, and took care to accommodate the differences between the Lusso/Classica and the Abarth. It has got consistently good reviews, here. The whole setup is not cheap, but any good SS exhaust for a 'limited' production vehicle is not going to be cheap.

That's not to bash any of the others out there: Autoricambi have a nice one with resonators built into the axle back unit. The tips are different, which some people like.

I believe Good-Win Racing have some videos of their exhaust systems (however, I've found video or pictures really don't do this stuff justice, but give only a fair idea of what to expect).

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I'd search, but I'm on mobile right now - do you have a video of your system?
Sorry, I don't have the means to make a decent video that would do the sound justice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Personally, I'm trying to decide what exhaust I want, too. My old 82 Fiat had a custom exhaust which burbled and growled like a roadster should. I miss that.

I'm leaning towards the GWR exhaust: they have done a good job of fine tuning and testing it, appear to have consistent quality, and took care to accommodate the differences between the Lusso/Classica and the Abarth. It has got consistently good reviews, here. The whole setup is not cheap, but any good SS exhaust for a 'limited' production vehicle is not going to be cheap.

That's not to bash any of the others out there: Autoricambi have a nice one with resonators built into the axle back unit. The tips are different, which some people like.

I believe Good-Win Racing have some videos of their exhaust systems (however, I've found video or pictures really don't do this stuff justice, but give only a fair idea of what to expect).
Installed the AutoRicambi non resonator a week ago to my Auto Abarth! Love the sound and there price point! :D

·
Registered
958 Posts
I bought my crackles and pops for $225 from a local muffler shop. I just replaced the muffler section aft of the flange, keeping the stock down pipe and cross pipe. It makes plenty of nice sound, with the occasional crackle and pop.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I bought my crackles and pops for $225 from a local muffler shop. I just replaced the muffler section aft of the flange, keeping the stock down pipe and cross pipe. It makes plenty of nice sound, with the occasional crackle and pop.
My plan as well. You can also have them change the tips at the same time if you prefer (black for me) and the cost will be less than any other system currently available.

·
Registered
958 Posts
My plan as well. You can also have them change the tips at the same time if you prefer (black for me) and the cost will be less than any other system currently available.
I went with larger tips, just so it looks different. I preserved the originals in case I need to go back to stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
It's hard to find a good exhaust shop capable of doing a decent job at this. That's why I went with the Good-win setup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts