Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now then chaps. A question for the wise or those who have been before.

I have swapped out my 2017 Abarth exhaust for a custom made stainless system from the cross over pipe backwards. It now consists of 2.25" stainless mid pipe with a small muffler. The rear muffler now consists of a Y split with two small mufflers and outputs through two pipes to staggered 90mm outlets. I have achieved the noise level I wanted, a bit quite but SWMBO's is happy. I would imagine this is very similar to a stock Classica/ Lusso setup now.

My question is, as I have inserted a restictive muffler in the mid pipe would I benefit from an EC Cross over pipe. I imagine the only sure fire way to tell is to get the car dyno'd.

Has anybody done this mod or can profer some solid advice.

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Grille

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle White

Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
They look like straight through mufflers, how are they restrictive?

Reactions: SteveP.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
330 Posts
What you have are 3 straight through resonators that are in cans that look like small mufflers. Taking them off will not make any meaningful gain in power or performance if it could be measured; maybe 1 or 2 hp at peak. The EC crosspipe, on the other hand, WILL make a very noticeable increase in mid range performance. The stock crosspipe is quite restrictive. The EC piece is a smooth work of art with no restriction at all. The turbo will spool up faster giving the performance boost. I have one of the first ones made on my car. Love it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Now then chaps. A question for the wise or those who have been before.

I have swapped out my 2017 Abarth exhaust for a custom made stainless system from the cross over pipe backwards. It now consists of 2.25" stainless mid pipe with a small muffler. The rear muffler now consists of a Y split with two small mufflers and outputs through two pipes to staggered 90mm outlets. I have achieved the noise level I wanted, a bit quite but SWMBO's is happy. I would imagine this is very similar to a stock Classica/ Lusso setup now.

My question is, as I have inserted a restictive muffler in the mid pipe would I benefit from an EC Cross over pipe. I imagine the only sure fire way to tell is to get the car dyno'd.

Has anybody done this mod or can profer some solid advice.

View attachment 90178
View attachment 90179
View attachment 90177
Nice system Derek, I would agree with others that a larger diameter crosspipe will improve performance, I fit a new crosspipe when I added my system one.

·
Premium Member
2020 Fiat 124 Abarth, manual, Chiaro Silver, visability, navigation, convenience packages, brembos
166 Posts
Another member very happy with the larger EC crosspipe.....butt dyno says increased performance and I can hear more "growl" and the occasional "pop".....just right...

·
Premium Member
2018 Lusso automatic, Abarth exhaust, GoPedal Bluetooth, red door bushings
21 Posts
Does anyone know why the stock exhaust pipe has a smaller diameter? It seems odd that such a simple performance would not be there as default.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,522 Posts
Does anyone know why the stock exhaust pipe has a smaller diameter? It seems odd that such a simple performance would not be there as default.
Crush bending at the 2 curves instead of being mandrel bent. It chokes down to 1.6" and it is 2.25" at the flanges.

·
Premium Member
2018 Lusso automatic, Abarth exhaust, GoPedal Bluetooth, red door bushings
21 Posts
Crush bending at the 2 curves instead of being mandrel bent. It chokes down to 1.6" and it is 2.25" at the flanges.
Sorry. What I meant to ask is why did Fiat build the car with the narrower exhaust pipe?

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
910 Posts
Because crush bending is quick, easy, and cheap? Mandrel bending isn't . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts