Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a space below the glove box in the ND MX-5 for a CD/DVD player, however I don't believe any of the Fiat/Abarth's have one (though may be wrong).

Why oh why didn't Fiat make this into an extra storage cubby hole?! :crying:

It even could have had one of those little push to open/push to close clip doors to stop stuff falling out.

Can some entrepreneurial person make one, please? 0:)

·
Registered
560 Posts
There is the cubby hole/glove box between the seats, and I believe that is where the CD changer goes in the Mazda.. You can buy the shelf insert (or make one) to divide it into sections. (At least one person here made the shelf and you can search for it on the forum.) The space is actually much bigger than the normally placed glove box I had in my Bimmer. There are also the two additional cubbies directly behind the seats. http://www.124spider.org/forum/81-w...-added-led-unit-shelf-my-glove-box-today.html

Reactions: IIILANDSHARKIII

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
There is a space below the glove box in the ND MX-5 for a CD/DVD player, however I don't believe any of the Fiat/Abarth's have one (though may be wrong).

It even could have had one of those little push to open/push to close clip doors to stop stuff falling out.

Who uses CD or CD Exchanger any more.>:)>:) I plan to pas an USB wire from the front snug it in the passenger side to the glove compartment and store the USB key there. I have stored over 6 hours of music on it, I haven't used a CD in years only when my son steps in to bust my chops with his Heavy Metal CD or USB KEY.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Fiat did turn the CD player space into a extra deep storage cubby hole!
Now I've read that if you have the Bose system, the car is prepped for CD player. Perhaps that is your situation? Let us know, as I thought that only meant that the wiring harness is there, not that the cubby was like the ND to accommodate the CD player..
And you can find more details for adding lighting and a shelf to the cubby on my blog.

·
Registered
727 Posts
When you stick your hand down inside the rear glove box, the CD space provides extra storage. I plan on getting one of those OEM accessory net shelves to divide the vertical space in half.

I wouldn't want a CD player in that location anyway, as it's too awkward to access while driving. Besides, the Millennials are teaching me to not be so old school. I plan on using Pandora.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
MotoPete,

I don't think you're comprehending what I'm trying to say. The glovebox you show in the photo is what all the MX-5s look like. It has a false bottom to cover the remainder of the space down to the floor to hide a separate space for the CD player. I'm not talking about taking out the blank panel for additional space. My 124 Spider cubby has an entirely different interior where the bottom is actually near the floor to take advantage of the space that the CD player would be in. The blank panel stays in place.

I don't know if the only photo I have shows you how the cubby holds a lot more stuff, but the bottom is 3 or 4 inches further down than your photo.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have the Bose in my Lusso, and the space goes down well below the door.

Reactions: ameridan

·
Registered
727 Posts
LongBeachJim,
Does your Abarth have the Bose? I'm trying to determine if the Bose systems have the same deep cubby that my Classica has.
I have Bose, but won't know cubby depth until tomorrow when the shipper delivers my new Abarth to my front door! I'm half certain the spacious cubby I explored at SEMA last week was in a Bose Abarth.

BTW, where did you get that great looking plexiglass shelf? The only ones I've seen are made of a flimsy looking black cloth mesh.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I get you now, and yes mine's the same. It just didn't correlate in my mind until I went and rechecked. Out of curiousity I popped the little panel out...

·
Registered
727 Posts
I had it made. See my blog for all the details.
Thanks ameridan. I just ordered my shelf (.125) in clear acrylic. Also found the light on eBay, and I assume the USB cord reaches to the dash?

You are right. This shelf & light is much less expensive (and better designed) than the OEM piece.

Reactions: ameridan

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm getting ready to order my cutout now. I have a few questions though. Here is the material list that the file in your blog uses, Ameridan. Are these the right specs or do I need to change it to something else?

Acrylic - Clear
1.5 mm
P2 - 384.0 mm long x 384.0 mm wide

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yes, they are, but personally, if you really want to take advantage of the "clear" shelf and don't mind sawing/filing the tabs, I would order a thicker piece, rather than gluing 2 or 3 layers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts